Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is to share the data I collect regarding the Mopar CAI. I will be recording small amounts of data regarding the intake air temperature. I had hoped to get some temperature readings for the stock intake before I installed the Mopar CAI, but the probes ended shipping from Shenzhen Guangdong. After getting data for the Mopar CAI, I might re-install the stock intake to take those readings.

Like a few folks, I am interested in the benefits of a CAI. My attraction is primarily fuel economy. I know others are all about the horsepower. This post is not trying to solve the arguments for CAI vs. WAI vs. IceTubes. It is only an attempt to observe trends in the temperature of air that reaches the throttle body.

I purchased two probes for this project. My requirements for the probe were as follows: 1) metal probe, 2) probe small enough to install within the CAI components, 3) short sampling interval, 4) wired as opposed to wireless, 5) battery powered, and 6) inexpensive.I selected these probes for the job. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V6X72Q The only drawback is that the wires are only 29 inches long. The probes agree with each other to within 0.2 degrees Celcius. They agree with the EVIC readout to within 1 degree Celcius (the agreement may be tighter, but EVIC does not display tenths of a degree). Though the probes demonstrate both precision and accuracy, the absolute temperature measurements are not the objective. I am looking to gain an understanding of the air temperature trends in relation to engine temperature, atmospheric temperature, and vehicle speed.

I installed one probe at the opening of the Mopar CAI in the driver side front bumper area. The CAI's filter is removed for picture purposes. It was re-installed prior to vehicle operation.

The second probe is placed in the rubber elbow immediately preceding the throttle body.

I will post the temperature data as I collect it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I quickly learned that it can be VERY hazardous for me to take the readings while driving. Therefore, I will only be recording data when traffic permits.

I'm not trying to following any set interval for data collection. Unless an interval is listed in the chart, I waited for the air temperature to stabilize at that speed before recording.

Here's the data from day 1.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Awesome work!

Are you thinking of doing a comparison with the factory intake to see is there has been any real temperature change over the oem intake?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome work!

Are you thinking of doing a comparison with the factory intake to see is there has been any real temperature change over the oem intake?
Thanks. I probably will, but I'm not looking forward to re-installing the stock intake.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide Free app.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I have a shorty intake/filter setup that mounts directly on the throttle body. If I sent it to you for evaluation could you put it through the same paces?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a shorty intake/filter setup that mounts directly on the throttle body. If I sent it to you for evaluation could you put it through the same paces?
Great idea and a nice thread. If possible a comparison of the stock filter unit,mopar CAI,and zonkers unit would be some very nice work indeed and would be very much appreciated. The comparison of zonkers unit would be most informative because it should also be very similar to the temperature of the RRM short ram.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure. However, it might be more cost effective for me to send you the temperature probes once I am done with my data collection.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Sure. However, it might be more cost effective for me to send you the temperature probes once I am done with my data collection.
i can do that too if you'd want to send that my way :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am putting these up a bit late.

Data for Day 3 - Mopar CAI (final day of data)

I plan to reinstall my stock intake tonight, and I hope to have some stock data by Monday night.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cool stuff indeed. I just did a comparison of TB vs ambient air temp of run 3 CAI and the stock intake temp run just posted and once I averaged out the numbers, the CAI showed TB temps 7 deg C hotter than ambient, and the stock intake showed 8.2 deg C hotter than ambient air.

So, the Mopar CAI can vouch for itself that its colder than the stock intake, but with only a 1.2 deg advantage, it's almost a moot point.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool stuff indeed. I just did a comparison of TB vs ambient air temp of run 3 CAI and the stock intake temp run just posted and once I averaged out the numbers, the CAI showed TB temps 7 deg C hotter than ambient, and the stock intake showed 8.2 deg C hotter than ambient air.

So, the Mopar CAI can vouch for itself that its colder than the stock intake, but with only a 1.2 deg advantage, it's almost a moot point.
Agreed, the stock intake does a pretty good job of staying cool while moving. I think the Mopar CAI hurts itself by passing a large portion of the tube directly on top of the block.

From what I've seen so far (2 more days of data to collect on the stock intake), the benefits of the CAI are for severe stop and go traffic. Picture a CBD. The CAI does benefit from not directly drawing in the radiator heat and it seems to cool down more quickly once the vehicle is moving.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Agreed, the stock intake does a pretty good job of staying cool while moving. I think the Mopar CAI hurts itself by passing a large portion of the tube directly on top of the block.

From what I've seen so far (2 more days of data to collect on the stock intake), the benefits of the CAI are for severe stop and go traffic. Picture a CBD. The CAI does benefit from not directly drawing in the radiator heat and it seems to cool down more quickly once the vehicle is moving.

Perhaps an insulating blanket on the CAI tubing might be in order to improve the Mopar unit?

My guess is the location of the stock air filter over the exhaust manifold play a large part of the heat soak when the car isn't moving. And possibly some sort of insulating blanket sandwiched between the motor and the stock intake for the oem setup??

Rob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps an insulating blanket on the CAI tubing might be in order to improve the Mopar unit?

My guess is the location of the stock air filter over the exhaust manifold play a large part of the heat soak when the car isn't moving. And possibly some sort of insulating blanket sandwiched between the motor and the stock intake for the oem setup??

Rob
I was thinking of fabbing a heat sheild to sit in between the Mopar CAI and the block. However, I tabled that idea for now due to an observation and a some experience from my house.

The observation: When I reinstalled my stock intake, I was able to leave half the Mopar CAI in place. The filter and downtube. After driving, I touched the down tube. Ouch HOT! So, the insulation would be needed for all of the tubing, not just the piece that goes over the block. The metal tubing heats up quickly. However, it also cools very fast...even at low speeds. One aspect of the tests that is difficult to grasp from the data tables is the rate of temp change. The stock intake is taking much longer to cool down once it get hot. It also didn't cool down at low speeds.

House experience: Attic heat is a big deal in TX. There's two geneal ideas to combat the heat: 1) block the heat via insulation, radiant barriers, shingle colors, etc and 2) evacuate the heat through extra ventilation.

The naked metal Mopar CAI tubing heats up fast, but it also cools down fast via air flow. If I use a polymer tube or insulate the metal tubes, then they will heat up slower. However, they will cool down slower as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts