Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First, thank you for all of your guidance on my previous post a few weeks ago about the number of issues I was having with the car. The dealer has been as good as they can be given that they do not yet have a warranty tech working in their shop. They fixed everything but one issue.

It is:
A nasty rattle/groan coming from the top of the windows. I originally brought it in to have this looked at when it went in for the four other things, the tech heard it, but they could not figure out where it was coming from. He then listened to a number of other cars on the lot, and they had it, too. My rental 500 had it. I subsequently learned that Fiat issued a TSB for it. I brought it in and they put the cream on the door weatherstripping on Friday. The rattle is still there. Someone here suggested I put some stuff on it, but I decided against it so that it was all handled by them. I am nervous that it might be an issue with the alignment of the windows in the doors. I mean, the bolt on my door did have to be tightened also since it sounded like the door was gonna fall off. Not instilling confidence in the build quality given these and the other issues it had. Poor Laurie at Fiat Customer Service got an earful from me but was super nice about it.

Thoughts about what to tell the dealer when I call them tomorrow to tell them the doors are still doing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I think I mention, on this forum, spraying silcon spray on a rag. Wipping the top edge of the door weather stripping good with silcon spray. The creaking/rattling noise will go away. Weatherstripping is dry, rubbing on the inner top sill of the car. My noise went away right away. Been about 2 month now, since I fixed it. Did both doors. The service department couldn't figure it out. Most of the cars on the lot make the same noise.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh, it's definitely the seal on the door frame. I'm surprised something doesn't stop it, though. To prove it, you can clearly hear the sound if you just gently press on the top of the door frame from outside while the door is shut. Mine isn't loud enough to bother me, though. I didn't buy the car expecting a silent ride, and I'm used to rides that most reviewers call noisy. At the same time, I can understand noises that grate on your nerves.

Smark, can you be super-specific about the type of spray you used? Brand, etc.?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smark, the issue with what you suggest is that silicone eats rubber, and wears it away. Don't laugh but that's the reason one should never use silicone lubricant with a latex condom...

So, I told them about what you said, and they said they have a fix. I don't want to do it in case I end up with eaten weatherstripping in a year. I don't want them telling me I voided a warranty.

And given all the issues I have had with the car, I would rather have everything documented in case it does turn out to be a lemon. Who knows what else will go wrong with it. They will need to do any and all fixes on the car. I just don't trust it

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Silicone spray is design to use on automotive weather stripping. Only fix I could see is a different weather strip design. I been using silcon spray for 30 some years on my vehicles. Never had anything rot away. Good luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's oil that messes with latex/rubber.

I'm willing to give that silicone spray a try. While the squeaking doesn't bother me, I wouldn't miss it, either. ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Many silicone sprays have petroleum in them, which is bad for rubber parts. Be sure the silicone you're buying is silicone without additional lubricants. You have to read the label carefully as it seems there are more silicone sprays with petroleum than not.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, I picked up some 3-in-1 brand silicone spray. It didn't list the ingredients, but said it was safe on rubber, and that one of the suggested uses is to stop seals from squeaking.

It didn't.
Made it worse, I think.

I wonder if I put too much on, or too little?

Anyone know the best way to remove it if I put to much on and make it terrible? I was thinking a rag with some rubbing alcohol in it, but I wouldn't want to dry out the seal, either.

Fortunately, the Bose solution is still helpful. ;-)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
You can test the fix, by rolling down the window. Pull and push the top of the window frame back and forth, with you hands If you don't hear the noise you've fixed the issues.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That's pretty much what I did. I didn't spray directly into that crease, but I definitely got the stuff on the stripping in that area. My question is did I do too much, or too little? My application definitely did not help, and I believe it's worse now. If I put more on, and it gets even worse, I'll want to try and remove some of the lubricant.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
If the Tech hears it, he has to fix it. I don't know why everyone is focusing on the little piece of rubber. Either it or the door is not stationary. Isn't more likely that the gigantic long door is moving around?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I had mine sprayed at the dealer, didn't seem to fix the issue. Still creaks and rattles.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Mine hasn't made a noise, since I fixed it. Something is wrong with the weather stripping on these cars. Very tight against the upper door sill. The doors do flex. Maybe very weak door hinges, for that size of door.

You can make the noise, while the car is just sitting there. Not all the cars do this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts