Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in stop and go traffic and the motor died as I was coasting to a stop on my sport with 1100 miles and auto trans. I had to put in park and restart and I had line of cars behind me honking and pissed off. I will be watching this. I will take it to the dealers service dept. It should be open in a few weeks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Did it die from idle or were you on the gas when it died?
The post said he was coasting. Could be nothing, just a one time hickup, but it is very troublesome for certain. There are so many possibilities of what could cause this sort of thing (from electrical, transmission issue, computer issue, bad gas, gnat flew sideways past the air filter) that anything will be pure speculation at this point, but always good to post issues so we can all see if there is a pattern.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to fiat service today. They wanted me to leave the 500 for few days no ride home or loaner car. We get free loaner they said they need to find out if that is true. So left with my 500. They installed the bolt that was loose on the rear seat. They acted like it was normal thing just loose bolt not tightened at factory. OK.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Mine, also an automatic, did the same thing today. I stopped at a stop sign and it just died. I had the radio and airconditioner blaring, so I didn't realize the engine had quit until I tried to accelerate. Grrrr. As lalosoda said, hopefully it was just a fluke!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
They didn't check for OBD codes?? (first thing I would do!)
In my case, I've only had the car three days and I'm not hep to OBD codes. I guess I'll have to look into that! This is a longshot, but could the quality of fuel cause this? I'm still burning the gas from the dealer's original fill-up, so I have no idea what brand/octane they used.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an AT Pop with 4,000 miles. I've never stalled out or even had the sensation I could stall out. It sounds like you had no real "symptoms". As mike thinks pointed out, it could be so many things. I don't like the sound of that though - coasting to a stop. Good luck and please let us know!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
There might be some sort of engine computer program modification needed by the factory,

OR if the car is new (like first two tanks of gas new), the ecu might be learning it's parameters still and hiccuped during this learning phase (usually learning is done about 500 miles after the ecu has been freshly connected to the battery).

if this starts showing up as a regular issue, those of you that have had this stalling problem should post the production date of your car and see if there is some sort of pattern...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had that happen to me just last week, with a manual tranny. I was driving at around 45, put it in neutral and coasted to a stop light. While still coasting suddenly all my lights in the dash came on and the rpm dropped to 0.

Took it to the dealer and they said that there were no codes. Another thing I have noticed under acceleration (very, very rarely) there is some hesitation. Unfortunately the dealer can't do anything without having codes. So hopefully something is going to pop up sooner than later.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Another thing I have noticed under acceleration (very, very rarely) there is some hesitation.
I have had the hesitation issue as well. Very slight but its there.

I remember hearing that newer cars go into a very lean mixture when the car is decelerating in order to save fuel. I believe this was in reference to manual cars when left in gear while stopping, but maybe it is true of manuals as well. It might have been a case like Zonker was saying with the ECU making a miscalculation. Maybe one of the guys who is working on an ECU tuner an knows more about how the ECU works can shed some insight.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Its just the start-stop feature nobody told us about. :)

one question. when the engine died and you were still coasting how hard was the steering wheel to turn as it is electirc and not hydraulic?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Its just the start-stop feature nobody told us about. :)

one question. when the engine died and you were still coasting how hard was the steering wheel to turn as it is electirc and not hydraulic?
In my case it seems to have died after I came to a stop, so I wasn't aware it had died (remember, I had the radio cranked!) until I tried to accelerate.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts