Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thought I'd share how I mounted my phone to the driver's side so I can use it for GPS while plugged in for charging/Blue & Me, without needing to dig around behind anything or make any alternations to the interior. I'm sure this is obvious to most folks, but for someone like me that's not handy, something like this would have been helpful, so I thought I'd share.

I noticed the nice little groove that runs along the bottom of the console with the gearbox. I ran a six foot USB cable out of the corner of the glovebox:
View attachment 1714

Secured the wire inside of the groove with a piece of electrical tape, high enough up to make it barely visible, and then ran the wire inside of the groove, around the bottom of the console. When I got to the other side, I secured it with another piece of hidden electrical tape, making sure that the cable was tight enough to stay put.

From there, I ran the cable behind the trim under the steering column, and up along this opening in the trim, tucking it in the gap to make it taut:

View attachment 1717

I then ran it out through the opening where the steering wheel adjust lever is to finish.

View attachment 1719

After that, all I had to do was pop on a windshield mount for my phone, and voila, a connected, mounted phone with hidden wires, in perfect position for GPS/incoming texts:

View attachment 1721

The only issue I've had is that charging is very slow, but I expected that with a six foot cable. Hope that this is helpful to some non-handy/lazy people like me!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nice idea. Finally a mod that does not require a welding torch or a machine shop.

I know that in Italy the 500's with Blue & Me have the usb port btw the seats. Not a perfect location, but more convenient than the glovebox in my opinion. Although, any plug set vertically will collect crumbs and cat hair and old socks, so maybe the glove box, and your solution, are better than the between-the-seats location. Good work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just purchased a hard-line cable for my Garmin.... We'll see how this goes. Ha ha! I am planning on tapping from the Cigarette lighter and running up into the the very far left vent on the dash and or to the back of the dash in that far left corner somehow. Wish me luck.

Cheers,

C.K.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Many new phones require a charger port or charger that offers higher output than what USB offers, mine did some super slow charging but I dropped by a buddies Cellular shop and he gave me a newer more powerful adapter and now it charges pretty much like when it is plugged up at home. I used to use the GPS and it'd be dead even plugged in, not it barely drops and has in some cases actually went higher than it started all while using the GPS. Otherwise, good idea for hiding away some cable clutter.

·
Registered
856 Posts
show me the picture!
I know I probably seen this but it makes me want to see it more since I cant see it right noiw!! lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please restore the pictures !

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
BTW, easier to run the cable is to pull the top of the shifter console. VERY easy. Just grab the back edge (towards the rear of the car) and pull up. Once it pops up, pull to the rear while gently lifting, and it comes free.

The first time you may need to stick a small screw driver into the gap and give a gentle pry.

I am looking at installing a second always powered power outlet. I ordered the outlet and cap from MOPARPartsOnline.com. I am thinking of putting it on the opposite side of the console from the stock one.

Reactions: drdivo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts