Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the poor performance of the stock all season tires during aggressive driving, and the limited selection of 195/45-16 tires out there, do you think it would be ok to move up to a 205 tire? I need a max summer or extreme summer performance tire for street and track.

I know they would look a little more chunky. I've thought about going with a 205/40-16, but I think it would be a bit too small. A 215/40-16 may be too wide for a 6.5" rim.

Has anyone upgraded or thought about upgrading their tires yet?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm still learning to drive the 500 fast, but the issue I feel is that the rear end is nowhere as planted as I'd like. It's not bad - it's mostly fun - but sometimes I do feel the rear end trying to go its own way while braking, or while taking a corner at high speed.

My point is - would tires help with this? I feel it's more of a suspension thing than a tire one. Or, perhaps this is because our cars have a really small wheelbase?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels frisky, exciting. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't know if this helps... I upgraded my tires and wheels to 17" with 205/40 - 17's and it a big difference with handling. Feels more grounded in turns.

Chris

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
any pictures Chris?

205/45 would be ok. Your diameter will be a little bigger than with the 195 so your speedo will read a little slower than before. Your overall gearing will be slightly higher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a good thread... I also think the car feels twitchy or unplanted at high speeds and was curious how to make it more stable.

Has anyone who lowered the car with the stock wheels notice any difference? Otherwise, I am going to guess and say wider tires are the solution...

Ed

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
are you sure it's not the offset vs. the width? Your tires should be wider than your rims even @ 7.5 inches wide.

7.5 inches is 190mm. a 205 tire is about 205mm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
are you sure it's not the offset vs. the width? Your tires should be wider than your rims even @ 7.5 inches wide.

7.5 inches is 190mm. a 205 tire is about 205mm.
Offset was 35. The rim and tire were both rubbing.

On the wheels I am looking at now offset is 38 but width is 7.

The US version of the 500 has a wider trunk... in the rear even more pronounced on the right side.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
perhaps a small spacer will offset the wheel enough to make it work?

That's a bummer though. I guess we're all the test monkeys in this. :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
perhaps a small spacer will offset the wheel enough to make it work?

That's a bummer though. I guess we're all the test monkeys in this. :cool:
That's what was suggested was a 5mm spacers for the rear:rolleyes: so much for direct bolt.

We are the early adopters.

I also like the Abarth 16" that are 6.5 wide looking into those too.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Competizione 17x7.5 match those specs you've listed. All of which say direct bolt on. I guess not eh? Bummer, I liked those wheels.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if you are looking to unload those wheels I might be interested. Depending what they are of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought the original question was if a 205 would fit in the 'stock' rim and work. That would be 205/55/16. Has anyone done this? I will get around to introducing myselt real soon. Just picked up my Pearl sport today.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
a 205/55 might fit but that's going to majorly throw off your speedometer. a 55 series tire is what comes on the stock 15 inch and that's only 55% of 185, not 205

1 - 20 of 29 Posts