Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've posted before, I routinely average 43.5mpg over a tank of gas, which I feel is pretty good. So, with the last tank, I decided to really keep my eye on my speed, use my cruise as much as possible, and stop as little as possible.

My average over this tank was... 47.1mpg! Granted, it was pretty boring, but then so am I.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I average about 30. Stupid auto...stupid top down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As I've posted before, I routinely average 43.5mpg over a tank of gas, which I feel is pretty good. So, with the last tank, I decided to really keep my eye on my speed, use my cruise as much as possible, and stop as little as possible.

My average over this tank was... 47.1mpg! Granted, it was pretty boring, but then so am I.
That's really good. I haven't measured mine with the trip odometer yet, but it seems like it's not as good as what you've been getting. I'll set the odometer at my next fill up and find out for sure.

I wonder, is there such a thing anymore as an initial break in period where the gas mileage is a bit lower and then gets better? I used to hear people say that all the time - "Oh, the new engine is tight, it will get better mileage later on". Always sounded like an old wive's tale to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't get it... I drive my manual Sport about 120 miles a day round trip to work. I can't do better than 36 MPG. Im in no traffic the morning commute and some traffic the return trip but only for the first 15 miles. What am I doing wrong? I do stay at approx 80 but would that kill my MPG that much?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm getting 35.5 mpg with the auto cabrio

·
Registered
5 Posts
rrucker - 47 mpg is quite impressive, wife & I just dumped her commuter I bought last year for her 2010 Honda Insight EX-Navi. That car was a dedicated Hybrid, meaning the only reason to buy one is to save as much gas as possible. we averaged 42-43 mpg's in that car. Amazing the 500 is possible of getting Prius like MPG's without all the Hybrid junk.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
About 60 to 100 miles a day the average I'm getting is anywhere from 32 to 34. But I do drive it hard occasionally.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob - I don't know for sure, but yeah, I'd think staying around 80 would give you a big ding on your mpg.

As a comparison, I drive about 100 miles round trip for my commute, with about 10 miles of that in tight traffic. For the first 35 miles, I can go about any speed I want and for this last tank of gas, I set the cruise at 64mph.

For the congested 10 miles, I stay in 2nd as much as possible and go between 20-25mph. This way, I find that I can eat through most of the traffice waves and rarely, if ever, have to stop. It takes some personal discipline, and I'm sure I annoy some drivers who like to speed up, then stop, then speed up, then stop, etc.

For the last few miles, it's heavy traffic that moves, so I can go about 55mph.

I roll through as many stops as I can, things like that, and use my cruise control, both to maintain my speed and for small accelerations/decelerations.

That said, I did this over just the one tank. I don't normally drive this conservatively, although on my fastest day, I don't drive very aggresively, either.

Pool - the best I've ever had over an extended distance (80 miles) was well into the low 50's. That was on an interstate with no traffic, cruise set to 65mph. I think people see the EPA ratings and don't realize just how well this car can do if driven gently.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
47 MPG! :eek: Great!

I drive a 100 mile round trip commute (and I see that others are in that ball park too) I get 39.5, tops, and I think that is great. I do tend to take it easy on the car. If I really drove it to get the most FPG (Fun per gallon) I am sure that would go way down.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob - I just found an old CR article on line that looked at a 2005 Camry. At 65mph, it got 35mpg. At 55mph, it got 40mpg. At 75mph... below 30mpg.

I used to drive about 75mph on my daily commute, then when gas went up to $4US a few years ago, I decided, just for a week, to drive 65mph. I found that, because of traffic, I didn't get to work any later and squeezed an extra 1/2-day out of a tank of gas. Since then, I stay at 65mph and now I'm used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I don't get it... I drive my manual Sport about 120 miles a day round trip to work. I can't do better than 36 MPG. Im in no traffic the morning commute and some traffic the return trip but only for the first 15 miles. What am I doing wrong? I do stay at approx 80 but would that kill my MPG that much?
Yes.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that I can press the + button on the cruise control, and then, as long as I minus (-) back down, it actually tends to improve the gas mileage. No matter what speed you reach before decelerating. Woohoo!

But these conditions must be satisfied:
1. Do not use the fuel waster control (labeled "sport")
2. Do this on a nice smooth wide highway with plenty of elbow room
3. On the level,or even better, downhill
4. Tires inflated about 34/34 is good
5. In fifth gear

Please nobody should go getting themselves in trouble with the above information. I never do it in order to try to get somewhere faster, just to avoid gigantic goon-mobiles.
It's just so satisfactory to see them burning a gallon of gasoline trying to overtake you, while you are of course leaning on the plus (+) button. When he finally closes in, then you politely and gently change lanes, and mash the heck out of minus (-) button. With any luck there is a state trooper sitting around the next curve, if you know your highway and time it just right! For purposes of dramatization only, not that I have ever done this. Heh heh heh.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure I can do the 65mph thing here in So Cal. But I will try to set the cruise one morning to 65 and see what the car does. I guess I am used to the Prius I traded in for the Sport. It didn't really matter how I drove the Prius I got 45mpg. There was no "fun factor" but the mpg was good. I would love to get the Sport towards the 40 mpg level. I will give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm getting a hair over 38 with the top mostly down with my 5 speed...not driving to aggressively or too eco friendly either.

I only have 760 miles on it, so I expect it to creep upwards a bit as the miles go on.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
32.5 - 35.5 mpg average, close to 3,000 miles. Auto 6 speed. Seems like when I first fill up. The gas milages is better for the first 2 days. It will range up to 37mpg. Then back to the lower numbers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I set the cruise at 65 for my morning commute up the coast (approx 55 miles). I was watching the "Instant MPG" the whole trip. Mostly because I've never driven it that slowly and I was going out of my mind. But the Instant MPG showed some good numbers; 40+ most of the way up. There are some hills so the MPG dropped down into the 30's. But overall I got 42 MPG. That is pretty good and the best I've gotten. The problem is the "Fun Meter" was way down for the trip. I'm not sure I can keep doing that...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good for giving it a try, Bob. To each their own, though. Some people get a thrill from flying through a turn, others from seeing that number go up, one tenth of a mile at a time.

I've driven it hard a few times and then get mad at myself later for stupidly wasting my fuel!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

As Rrucker notes, I guess everyones driving enjoyment will vary. For me I've found that I don't really like driving much over 60-65mph. To me it seems that the car runs really nice and comfortably between 50-65mph, but over that its more of just stepping down further and further on the gas to go just a bit faster :(.

Regards

Pat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts