Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My recently purchased fiat 500 had a heat shield around back muffler. I was corroded all around the bolts and was falling off. It has now been removed.

I wonder if a replacement is really needed? My biggest concern would be that the heat shield was between muffler and the spare tire. I am concerned about the spare tire now being exposed to more heat. Tire may be 6 to 8 inches away.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Other considerations - don't park on any dry leaves in the fall, and that heat shield probably took the brunt of the salty road spray in the winter, so the muffler may rust out earlier than it otherwise would have.

Heat soak on your spare tire won't be much of an issue, it's far enough away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I since have seen a post in DYI section about spare tire kits. It seems this heat shield may actually be call a "spare tire heat shield". Makes me even more worried I might have be issue with not having it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it really that close? Tires get that hot driving down the highway on hot pavement on a summer day. But since the part is called the "spare tire heat shield" I have to assume there's a reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was at Chrysler dealer to buy and unrelated part yesterday. I took the opportunity to ask service advisor his opinion. He said they take them off and leave them off when rusty. He said do not worry about it. I made it clear I had a spare tire and he said it will be OK. That is a great answer for me as I do not have to fix it. However I am still uneasy as it must have been there for a reason.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Here’s might thoughts about the heat shield. Fiat designed it there to protect something. I’d replace it, if you have a Spare tire. You wouldn’t want to Find out the hard way. A flat tire,
In the middle nowhere in the dark. A heat related ruined spare tire.Just replace it, how much could it Cost!

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My spare didn’t come with a heat shield so I bought one.

Reactions: smark
1 - 9 of 9 Posts