Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at putting a short ram intake on, and was wondering if a muffler change is needed to be done as well. I wouldnt mind a little more aggressive sound, but I woudlnt want anything even approaching that nasty rice paper whine that some people do. Question is weather a muffler change is needed...and if so, can I get a reasonable axle back muffler only change that will keep the car from sounding like an undecided impact wrench.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Im looking at putting a short ram intake on, and was wondering if a muffler change is needed to be done as well. I wouldnt mind a little more aggressive sound, but I woudlnt want anything even approaching that nasty rice paper whine that some people do. Question is weather a muffler change is needed...and if so, can I get a reasonable axle back muffler only change that will keep the car from sounding like an undecided impact wrench.
If you like what my car sounds like then I suggest doing what I did, I have the Intake and ECu timer from RRM and a VERY affordable muffler mod, dropped weight and lost the rear muffler, straight pipe replaces it and a bit wider (better fitting) tip replaced and it sounds awesome for only $70 PLUS as stated I lost weight, no changing to a lesser weight exhaust and I had spoken with Rob from RRM and another member from here that said he was told by Rob if you straight pipe it and like the sound it would provide great results, he was right! In the even you haven't heard it see if it suits you and go this route to save a load of $ and get a nice setup. http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/14-fiat-500-videos/2666-fiat-500-sport-custom-exhaust-clip.html :cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
You dont NEED to add an aftermarket muffler with an CAI. It will help bolster overall performance but it is not at all necessary. If you like the stock system keep it. There was another thread floating around (cant remember the title) but it had a number of exhaust videos and I recall a competizione tuning exhaust sounding absolutely marvelous on the 500. NOT ricey or buzzy but actually very deep and throaty while being understated and the perfect volume for a good street car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From the vids, I like the sound of both the Borla and Magnaflo; to me both have a really nice non-buzzy sound that is also not obnoxious inside the car - I just don't care for the price of either one...

·
Registered
376 Posts
You dont NEED to add an aftermarket muffler with an CAI. It will help bolster overall performance but it is not at all necessary. If you like the stock system keep it. There was another thread floating around (cant remember the title) but it had a number of exhaust videos and I recall a competizione tuning exhaust sounding absolutely marvelous on the 500. NOT ricey or buzzy but actually very deep and throaty while being understated and the perfect volume for a good street car.
I agree that the competizione exhaust has a really great sound. Number 2 for me was the magnaflow and a close third is the Borla. I really didn't care for sound of the magneti
exhaust. The RRM axel back exhaust seems to be a good value but the sound clip didn't play that well on the computer I was using.
I suppose exhausts should be graded by what they do for HP but for me the most important thing is that I can live with the sound they make.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The RRM axel back exhaust seems to be a good value but the sound clip didn't play that well on the computer I was using. I suppose exhausts should be graded by what they do for HP but for me the most important thing is that I can live with the sound they make.
Totally agree, I originally wanted to go all RRM but the rasp wasn't something that came across well enough, what I have now is lighter, cheaper, and although it may sound a bit raspy it doesn't seem so much that way in person. Magnaflow was my next choice (or first) once I realized the RRM was too raspy, the Comp was awesome with its deep growl but to me at least I couldn't justify the costs.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Any concerns with just doing a straight pipe? Emissions or inspection or anything? How about flow, i know the pipe won't be mandrel bent or anything. I did a straight pipe on my MR2 but only till i got a proper exhaust

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Any concerns with just doing a straight pipe? Emissions or inspection or anything? How about flow, i know the pipe won't be mandrel bent or anything. I did a straight pipe on my MR2 but only till i got a proper exhaust
As long as you don't mess with the CAT you shouldn't have any problems with emissions.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Totally agree, I originally wanted to go all RRM but the rasp wasn't something that came across well enough, what I have now is lighter, cheaper, and although it may sound a bit raspy it doesn't seem so much that way in person. Magnaflow was my next choice (or first) once I realized the RRM was too raspy, the Comp was awesome with its deep growl but to me at least I couldn't justify the costs.
Thanks for the input tweak. I for one will pass on any raspy sounding exhausts. Not my cup of tea.The sound of the comp. is awsome but as you point out,very expensive. I still haven't decided if I'll do an exhaust. I like to fly low under John laws radar. I know a guy who got a reckless driving ticket in his WRX. The cops didn't see him, they heard him coming and were then looking for him.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Thanks for the input tweak. I for one will pass on any raspy sounding exhausts. Not my cup of tea.The sound of the comp. is awsome but as you point out,very expensive. I still haven't decided if I'll do an exhaust. I like to fly low under John laws radar. I know a guy who got a reckless driving ticket in his WRX. The cops didn't see him, they heard him coming and were then looking for him.
Makes sense to me, I know I am louder than stock but not so loud to be too annoying or to be heard from too far off, pretty sure it is more noticed now though, when it is colder outside and you first start out I like the sound the best, first twenty seconds or so is the best note. I imagine the Borla is one of the quietest at idle and only loudish when really hammered, had a Borla on another car and it was nice but subtle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Makes sense to me, I know I am louder than stock but not so loud to be too annoying or to be heard from too far off, pretty sure it is more noticed now though, when it is colder outside and you first start out I like the sound the best, first twenty seconds or so is the best note. I imagine the Borla is one of the quietest at idle and only loudish when really hammered, had a Borla on another car and it was nice but subtle.
From what I can gather I think our cars sound very similar. Your CAI is a tad louder than mine but very similar. The sound mine makes in it's presant form is just sexy enough to get your blood moving a little faster. I'll have to listen to the Borla clip again. I thought it had a little more rasp to it than the Magnaflow. I do like the fact that Borla went with a 2 inch pipe rather than 2 1/4 like the Magnaflow. The smaller pipe might have a little better low to mid-range power.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
From what I can gather I think our cars sound very similar. Your CAI is a tad louder than mine but very similar. The sound mine makes in it's presant form is just sexy enough to get your blood moving a little faster. I'll have to listen to the Borla clip again. I thought it had a little more rasp to it than the Magnaflow. I do like the fact that Borla went with a 2 inch pipe rather than 2 1/4 like the Magnaflow. The smaller pipe might have a little better low to mid-range power.
The smaller the piping the more raspy I imagine, I just know my Borla seemed fairly tame, MF usually tends to be a bit on the loud (and usually deep) side as does Flow Masters often times, as for the "blood moving" that'd be the same thing I try to convey when I state that the exhaust likely adds some actual power but it without a doubt offers psychological horsepower gains! You have some clips of your ride to share?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My Borla is in transit. Once installed I'll try and get some sound clips populated into the forums. Not alot of audio samples out there right now!

Reactions: GotFiat

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Who you tellin'? I'm lookin' forward to recording it! LOL! :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wish I had a way to mount the camera (phone...lol) so it would be a better vid, for a phone though the quality isn't too bad at least.
I told my girl a little while ago that she's going to have to help me with the video/audio clips using her camera (just so happens to be one of the Christmas presents I got her). She gave me the eye roll. I think that means she'll do it.... right? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I told my girl a little while ago that she's going to have to help me with the video/audio clips using her camera (just so happens to be one of the Christmas presents I got her). She gave me the eye roll. I think that means she'll do it.... right? :confused:
LOL, sounds like you too need a method of mounting your camera...hehe.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
LOL, sounds like you too need a method of mounting your camera...hehe.
I may get the stink eye - but she'll help. Not for long though. I'll have to capitalize on the first few runs, lol! Really the biggest hill I have to climb is the install. I need the weather to cooperate long enough once it hits the door. Unfortunately when I get home from work it gets dark rather quickly. I'm not sure the exhaust would cool anywhere near quickly enough to handle on a week night. We'll see how it all plays out. One thing I'll be sure to do is weigh the components of the Borla and then the subsequent parts they replace!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts