Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Fiat 500e got crunched today in an intersection at slow speed. ☹ Both front air bags went off. Front fenders, hood, all crunched. No damage past the front end. Will be contacting my insurance company tomorrow and I am sure they will total it. Any advice for them/me for a specialty salvage regarding EVs? I am sure the main battery pack is undamaged.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that news. There should not be anything special about it... the insurance pays you and hauls it away for salvage. One word of advice, don't sign anything until the settlement is complete.

·
Registered
129 Posts
electric vs gas car shouldn't be any different as far as insurance goes.

When i had a car totaled from insurance (hailstorm) my insurance gave me an estimate of auction value (what they thought it would go for if they auctioned it off) and set that as my buyback price. They took that, and the deductible, out of my insurance payout. The title was then "branded" as a salvage, and to drive the vehicle on the streets legally again I had to have it inspected and submit forms to get the title changed from salvage to a "rebuilt/Restored" title.

If my 500e was totaled (as long as the pack wasn't obviously damaged), I would buy it back from insurance, salvage the pack out of it, and scrap the rest. Then use the rest of the insurance payout to buy another 500e.

I would be curious as to the buyback price your insurance gives you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter was driving it. An unlicensed, multiple revocations, etc. driver ran a stop sign and hit her. My daughter was checked out in the ER and is thankfully OK. A bit sore, but OK. The car airbags did their job and protected her. The two front airbags and the knee bolster airbag deployed.

The insurance company will be inspecting the car and will come up with a settlement price as damage is bad enough that the car will probably be totalled. I have someone that is already interested in the buying it back in case the buy back price is cheap enough. Here in the midwest, the car is worth substantially more than CA buyers can get them for due to transport costs and rarity, so I will have to make that point with the insurance company.

Not sure what I will be purchasing next. It will be another EV. The 500e is by far the most economical EV to buy. I would buy again if it wasn't for its lower end on the range scale of modern EVs. So I plan on exploring all my options. New Chevrolet Bolts have a ton of range, but no personality. 2017 used Bolts go for $25K. New ones are $30K. Could actually get a new Tesla M3 for $35K, but that is a chunk of change and I am a bit of a penny pincher when spending money. And again, the M3 doesn't have much personality. Contemplating the possibility that the Tesla MY is coming out very soon and there will be a bunch of used M3 going on the market. Decisions. Decisions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 500 has the rebuilt title. It’s a petrol but the insurance company knows it’s a certified rebuilt and it passed all of its inspections or it would not have the decal in door jamb. Mine was both front fenders, hood, bumper and one headlight. I was able to punch the VIN into google and saw pictures and the history from SC auction to body shop in FL, it sold in May of 2017 for about $2400 delivered to repair shop. Bought it in Oct of 2019 for $5900 with 23K mikes It’s a stripped down model but insurance will only use the 60% or so value of book if it gets wrecked. I love it even though it’s petrol, looks brand new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts