Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue? Here is my story

The day before my wedding week I was involved in a head on collision. I was not at fault in the collision as I was stopped at a red light in a left turn lane when a truck swerved from oncoming traffic and hit my FIAT passenger side front end.

I was knocked back sideways leaving the car straddling the median. I assessed the situation and felt that my car was probably totaled, being a front end collision at speed on the other driver’s part, though I could not understand at the time why in the world my airbags did not deploy. (I found this fact to be very, VERY strange.) However, I was more concerned about everyone involved in the accident than I was for my car at that point, so I got out to check on everyone before attending to my car. Once I knew everyone was ok I looked over my car and called my future wife to let her know. She came out to help me deal with getting my things out of the car and then getting the car towed and she also immediately noted that the airbags had not deployed and asked me if I thought that FIAT should be notified in case there is an issue with the airbags that has not yet been discovered in crash testing, since we knew that the safety test ratings are good on this car. We are both thankful, of course, that I was not severely injured in the wreck.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Orev,

Sounds like a scary situation, and I hope you're OK.

It's an interesting point about the airbags. Obviously, they're triggered by sensors, and in this case they weren't activated. Airbags are not new and I would think that FIAT uses airbags, sensors and computer systems from a mainstream supplier. Given that airbags themselves can cause injury, especially to children, and to adults who don't wear seatbelts, I think that all manufacturers are wary of premature activation of airbags. Given the extremely litigious climate of the US, this is understandable.

But it is an interesting question about airbags and stationary vehicles. Every video I've seen shows a moving car and a stationary object, or two moving cars. I wonder if airbags are 'deactivated' if the vehicle is stationary? 'Colision' typically implies you're moving, and you were not at the time of the impact.

I would also think that the non-release of the airbags would have a significant impact on repair costs, meaning that the costs will be lower.

Let us know what comes of the assessment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are some photos. Looking at the first photo you do not see the line I was sitting at, and in the second photo you will see the line. My car is a good 20 - 30 feet back and look at the front end of the truck...its on the ground.

IMG_1952.jpg IMG_1953.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm just a semi-educated guess here but, air bags are really to keep the occupants from being thrown forward and contacting the dash/steering wheel/windsheild. In an accident like that there isnt much if any force throwing the occupants forward so the airbags wouldn't help and would probably make things worse.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Orev, do not feel bad when I got rear ended by a Fed Ex Truck and pushed into a Ford Explore my Airbags did not go off either. It must be a hit and miss with them Sensors. Sorry to hear about your Accident hope you are ok. Since my Air Bags did not go off the Fed Ex Insurance tried to fix my 500 3x. I got an independent Adjuster after the 3rd Time and he declared the 500 not Road Safe. Fed Ex spend 19k to fix my 500. Long Story short. My Lawyer and me settled with Fed Ex. I got a Check and bought an Abarth. I just hate when somebody gets into an Accident you never know of the out come and of Course there are the Mods to make that 500 just right. Glad you are ok and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It does not look like you would have needed the bags anyways... if you've ever experienced airbag deplyment, imagine being punched in the face. It feels like that. And the sulpher smell from the discharge is yuck.

FIAT did you a favor by programming the bags not to go off in an incident like yours.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Never went off on our Accord too. This is twice on this one. Car was 10 years old too. Wasn't totaled.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I miss my Lawn living in Kansas ......:D........ Smark would you Mind moving that Honda.... so I can enjoy the Picture of the Lawn.....

The Honda's gone. The Fiat is in the garage. Do you really want to be here now. The yard is full of leaves. It's fall here. what grass?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The Honda's gone. The Fiat is in the garage. Do you really want to be here now. The yard is full of leaves. It's fall here. what grass?
Yeah, but it probably looks better than the tumbleweeds, gila monsters and cactus that he has to deal with in Phoenix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think either of these accidents (The Fiat Turbo and that Maroon Honda) warranted an airbag to be deployed. They both look like they were relatively low speed TBH, based off of the damage. I don't think the airbags or sensors were at fault here.

I was in an accident with a Lincoln Navigator about 5 years ago. I was driving an Infiniti FX35 at the time. He hit me in the same spot as this Turbo, right on the front axle going 30mph+. Long story short, much more extensive damage, no injuries, no airbags. Didn't need them to be honest.

I would have loved to share a picture of it but the phone it was on is now long gone.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you're ok and i do see all the comments but in my personal opinion i would have expected the airbags to deploy in that situation....right or wrong i would have expected them to pop

·
Registered
26 Posts
to me everything looks right. the wheel is in place, the damage probably is body only... don't think airbags should be deployed on this.

u got any injury out of it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts