Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold air intake! Putting in soon, I hope. Will look like second pic installed.

Present Cardboard Plastic wrap Plastic Carton Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put the CAI in. Mopar OEM with bypass valve. That goes a long way to prevent hydrolock. Only went out for a short ride but I can tell you the car feels great. Will follow up with more impressions after I drive it to work tomorrow. Also, note the sticker indicating it is a factory item so all should be good with FIAT.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Auto part

·
Registered
124 Posts
Throttle response is improved all across the revband. The car is noticeably quicker. Still quiet for the most part until you really hammer on it then you can hear it growling for more power. Its a really quality piece. IIRC the road race intake is a smaller unit that sits in the engine bay right by the battery and as a result right by the exhaust headers. That's more of a short ram intake where as the Mopar one is a true cold air intake. Ive only had a chance to drive it for a short time but I can tell it made a big difference already.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Throttle response is improved all across the revband. The car is noticeably quicker. Still quiet for the most part until you really hammer on it then you can hear it growling for more power. Its a really quality piece. IIRC the road race intake is a smaller unit that sits in the engine bay right by the battery and as a result right by the exhaust headers. That's more of a short ram intake where as the Mopar one is a true cold air intake. Ive only had a chance to drive it for a short time but I can tell it made a big difference already.
Doesn't tell the difference between the two as far as the specific increases gained, I do think it is going to get cooler air as the rising heat in the engine bay will certainly become a factor as the RRM intake deals with more heatsoak than the others, opening the hood a bit with a custom cut hood vent would make for a nice setup though. Maybe someone here will buy both and sell the one they do not like to another here on the forums, then we can see a direct head to head maybe a dyno and get a real comparison between the two. Thanks for your observations.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah its hard for me to do a direct comparo between anything but a stock 500 and one with the mopar intake. But as I said the RRM short ram intake has alot of heat soak to deal with. which will only hurt performance. So far the Mopar product is the one to get even if just for the piece of mind that its covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Put the CAI in. Mopar OEM with bypass valve. That goes a long way to prevent hydrolock. Only went out for a short ride but I can tell you the car feels great. Will follow up with more impressions after I drive it to work tomorrow. Also, note the sticker indicating it is a factory item so all should be good with FIAT.
View attachment 1142

How long was the install. Can you describe the difficulty?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long was the install. Can you describe the difficulty?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
My son installed it Christmas...at night. Took about 3 hours. Gotta remove the battery and left front wheel.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'm tempted. I like the RRM look but also wonder about warranty? Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I recall mention some dealers had and were ordering the RRM intake to install on the cars before being sold so I'd imagine it wouldn't play a major factor, plus any problem would have to be caused by the mod to alter the warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Granted it took 3 hours because I was working at a leisurely pace on Christmas in the dark with plenty of breaks;). I could whittle that time down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts