Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took delivery of my new La Prima on 5 May 2022. Although it was mentioned in the advertising at that time the salesman told me that the Easy Wallbox had been discontinued. He was right, I didn’t get one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh disappointing, my landlord is being a bit of a dick about getting a home charger installed so at least with that I could of just a drilled some holes and plugged it into a plug. Slower speeds I know but at least then he can’t moan about the electrics even though i’ve assured him that it would be installed by qualified electricians.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ahh disappointing, my landlord is being a bit of a dick about getting a home charger installed so at least with that I could of just a drilled some holes and plugged it into a plug. Slower speeds I know but at least then he can’t moan about the electrics even though i’ve assured him that it would be installed by qualified electricians.
That’s not good, but common I imagine. I was amazed mine agreed without question. He did then tell me all about how electric cars don’t work 🙄

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
I know they want to make money selling you an unnecessary EVSE, & most people don't do the maths, but please don't let them get to you! The OEM cord gives a full recharge while you sleep. Everyone please double check my simple maths...:

The manual says it's 13 Amps, times 230 V supply is 2990 Watts (3kW). Times 8 hours sleep is 24 killoWatt-hours (kWh), which is more than half of a 42kWh full range charge.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
So IF you drive three times the UK daily average, AND you're out late, arriving home to plug in with "only" three times the UK daily average remaining, AND you go straight to bed AND then straight out for breakfast, you'd still be leaving with a full charge!

Tell that to ignorant people like the @MaryWhitehouse landlord who say "electric cars don't work"! Even that extreme example works, even if you forget to plug in!

Me & many other US 1st-gen owners find that the OEM cord is more than enough even though we only have HALF your household voltage, AND we drive 150% as far, yet the OEM cord recharges more than that JUST during 8 hours of sleep (out late, no shower, out for breakfast) let alone the average time spent at home: Just 2 hours TOTAL for TV + 'net + shower + breakfast adds 25% more range!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
So please nobody make the same mistake as me!

I wasted $500 on an after-market unit, & in over 6.5 years, 1440W has been more than enough.

I gave the overpriced cord to my friend so she can share her car with her husband AND son so NONE of them need to buy petrol.

If only 2 average UK drivers are sharing the car, the 3kW cord included with the car is plenty.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Ya, for 2 cars, if you don't have a strong enough circuit you'd need to set their timers so they don't both do their 3-hour charge during the same part of your sleep.

Either that or run an extension cord from a different circuit.

So like your landlord said, it "won't work" (in the imaginary universe where there are no timers or extension cords :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
The wallbox offers greater convenience than the granny charger
After a day of driving 50 miles in the US, if I just plug in my SLOW 1.4kW ("great-granny"?) cord when I get home, it's done when I wake up, so I don't see how a wallbox could possibly offer greater convenience. It's not as if it plugs itself in.

In the UK the granny cord is 3kW so it recharges about 100 miles overnight. However...

the granny charger (which is now an option in th UK)
So it no longer comes with a granny cord?! Tesla started doing that here, thinking most people don't use it, but it turned out most people DO use it, since that's all they really need.

·
Registered
105 Posts
After a day of driving 50 miles in the US, if I just plug in my SLOW 1.4kW ("great-granny"?) cord when I get home, it's done when I wake up, so I don't see how a wallbox could possibly offer greater convenience. It's not as if it plugs itself in.

In the UK the granny cord is 3kW so it recharges about 100 miles overnight. However...

So it no longer comes with a granny cord?! Tesla started doing that here, thinking most people don't use it, but it turned out most people DO use it, since that's all they really need.
Greater convenience as in a tethered cord to plug in rather than a granny charger that needs getting out of the house, plugging into an outlet then plugging into car etc. Also, to many people that care about such things, they can be more pleasing to the eye.
Yes it’s a £150 option now, plus standard equipment levels have shrunk with prices staying the same. And build times have lengthened. Don’t know what it’s like with you but here it’s really hard to get a new car of any kind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts