Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Somebody of you maybe remmeber the story about my Fiat 500E.
It died :(.

Sorry for this late update and silence the last weeks but i started my own company and I was really busy but here is the story from my 500.

So we bought a 500E 8 months ago in The Netherlands.
The car is from 2014 with now 60k KM on the clock.

First i tought the calibration wasn't right. So we followed the tips and tricks from this forum.
It seemed like this was helping. But when the winter came the trouble started.

The available % dropped sometimes with 10-15 % in seconds. And once it really set me still on the road.

This happend twice and then the garage came to my house to pick the car up.

It's at the garage now for 3 months .The state of healt of the battery was 9%..
There were 3 modules ( so around 15-18 cells ) that died.
They replaced it with others ( i dont think new ones ) . And still the cars gives the same trouble. And even the mechanic stood still on the road.

They are trying this week to bring the 500 back from heaven.
And if not possible the garage told me that we need to look for other soulotions.
Propally a other car or refund.

I really mis the car even tho i have the alfa romeo gulietta that i use now. But driving this car was so cheap .I used it for al my travel in the city. It's perfect for that.

I am considering to buy a new 500E but new they are 35k in euro. WTF ... For that amountof money i can buy a big used Kona from 2020.
Well i keep you posted.. And if they say the car is repaired i want a third party to check the battery first before i take it back.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
Thanks for the update, but sorry to hear about your problems. On the off chance that it could help you or future readers:

Battery state of health data from OBD is basically meaningless. The only way to estimate battery capacity is to take it to 0.00 on OBD (NOT the car's gauge) & use a metered charger to measure how many kWh get added to fill it (divide it by the EPA's 25kW-when-new spec to get % of original capacity).

We only learned that pretty recently, so it wouldn't surprise me if your service people haven't needed to learn it yet, even though they may know much more than us about fixing dead cells, since those are extremely rare in the US, compared to those subjected to long-term storage/transport to you in Europe.

We learned it around the time when we learned the car's own % gauge eventually reads lower & lower, compared to the actual % available on OBD. The car's gauge can be reset ONLY if you discharge it ALL the way PAST 0% on the gauge, until it hits 0.00% on OBD, & then recharge non-stop until full. So you can "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" there.

Even more recently, we learned that the car's humidity sensor can cause a huge range of issues, & should be permanently unplugged.

The most recent discovery is that reboot by HV disconnect needs to be on the standard list of troubleshooting tricks AND there are 4 different sequences that each need to be tried, because even when one has failed, another has worked:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Even more recently, we learned that the car's humidity sensor can cause a huge range of issues, & should be permanently unplugged. "

I think this is a good one to tell them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everybody,

Somebody of you maybe remmeber the story about my Fiat 500E.
It died :(.

Sorry for this late update and silence the last weeks but i started my own company and I was really busy but here is the story from my 500.

So we bought a 500E 8 months ago in The Netherlands.
The car is from 2014 with now 60k KM on the clock.

First i tought the calibration wasn't right. So we followed the tips and tricks from this forum.
It seemed like this was helping. But when the winter came the trouble started.

The available % dropped sometimes with 10-15 % in seconds. And once it really set me still on the road.

This happend twice and then the garage came to my house to pick the car up.

It's at the garage now for 3 months .The state of healt of the battery was 9%..
There were 3 modules ( so around 15-18 cells ) that died.
They replaced it with others ( i dont think new ones ) . And still the cars gives the same trouble. And even the mechanic stood still on the road.

They are trying this week to bring the 500 back from heaven.
And if not possible the garage told me that we need to look for other soulotions.
Propally a other car or refund.

I really mis the car even tho i have the alfa romeo gulietta that i use now. But driving this car was so cheap .I used it for al my travel in the city. It's perfect for that.

I am considering to buy a new 500E but new they are 35k in euro. WTF ... For that amountof money i can buy a big used Kona from 2020.
Well i keep you posted.. And if they say the car is repaired i want a third party to check the battery first before i take it back.
There were four recalls in the USA. Make sure all the recalls were done. If not, you're going to have problems with charging the car.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
That's generally good advice, which is why it's the very fist item in my first link above.

The number of recalls depends on the production date. Mine was one of the very earliest (07/2013) & it had 4 recalls but one was in 2013, so it likely doesn't apply to Melviinbl's 2014.

Mine also had 2 "customer satisfaction campaigns". *

None that I know of involved charging the car though, at least based on what Fiat SAID:

N51: Halfshaft threadlock
P23: Inverter replacement
R15: New software to prevent stalling
R20: New software to prevent self-shift to N (mine was exempt)
S26: More new software to prevent stalling

S93: HV battery vent cap replacement
U69: New software prevents 12V from draining HV while unplugged. That was in 2018, & there haven't been any since, that I know of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are a strange guy! The reason i drive a 500E is because i like the car and it's cheap ..
Crazy americans with there political statements and arguments..
We love our Fiat 500E . It's great for traveling in our town. We get more miles for the summer. Winter time it sucks up the battery. Would really like to know why.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
The good news is there's a partial fix that's fairly easy if you have an outlet: Time it to be charging for a while right before you leave. The heat from charging current (or maybe it's the battery heater) prewarms the battery for better range. If you're accustomed to just plugging in when you get home, & it's finished in the middle of the night, you can precondition the cabin, which will also turn the charger back on.

The "why", is because every battery loses voltage when the temperature drops. It was only fairly recent when I read that, but didn't believe it, so I looked at the voltage on my phone (free AccuBattery app), put it in the freezer for a while to simulate parking outside at Xmas in NY, & the voltage dropped BIG-time! It bounced right back when I warmed it in my pocket. You can try it yourself. With your phone, that is: I know Fiat is "pocket size", but not literally ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
AND - in Winter you are likely to be using the heater, which is electric and sucks the power as well. One cold rainy night I had on the heater, the seat heaters, and both windshield wipers, head lights and fog lights and was so stunned to see how fast the power dropped! I learned my lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts