Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there...to you all in the Forum!
I have been reading, and reading all about my Fiat 500e that I bought in California.
Decided to check in the NET, complaints and so on regarding the Fiat 500e.
Saw some nice things regarding the car, and some things, which I really didn´t like!

Presently living in Portugal! Nice Country with similar weather to California.
I have some technical background, not on cars but on computers which may help me find a solution besides shipping the car back to the US.
We have two FIATs 500e at home. Mine is a turtle now, my wifes Fiat 500e is still driving normally, she´s luckly!
Fiat here won´t take care of my Fiat, because they say they have nobody with technical knowhow,or prepared to repair the Fiat 500e!
I know this is not true, but instead of creating stress, I decided to take the matter in my own hands. I hope I can...

Already ordered a OBD, to try to help to get to know better the Fiat 500e and try to solve the problem....
The car won´t accept charging, which maybe the problem.
Ansious to put it working again, besides saving a lot of money on gas, it is great to drive!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,229 Posts
Make sure the 12V battery is good. It gets quite a bit of heat, so close to the onboard charger, so I always open the hood when charging, & try for shade. My buddy doesn't, & his 2014 500e 12V died about a year ago, but my 2013 hasn't died yet (maybe tomorrow though! so I carry a portable jump-starter).

Do a 30-second 12V disconnect, & if that doesn't work, try a 30-hour 12V disconnect (seemed to make a difference for someone else here).

Make sure the charger has a fresh reboot too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Carlos,

As was mentioned above, make sure you have a known, good 12v battery, mine had to be replaced when I got the car. Then try disconnecting the ground/negative cable from the 12v battery. Leave it disconnected for about 2 days before reconnecting the 12v battery and trying the car. I have had to do this 2 times to reboot my car in the past 10 months. I am using an older Level 2 charger that doesn't seem to talk to the car and appears to keep the high voltage (HV) contactors on after the HV battery has been fully charged. The dealer connected the car to their Level 2 charger overnight and did not have any problems, if I leave mine connected overnight, I'm guaranteed a turtle on the dash the next day.

Good luck and keep us informed, together we can learn a lot about these cars.

Craig

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a big thread about the same issue on this forum. Good luck!
I live in California but my dealer who set me up with a lease now says they will not work on Fiats under Warranty. The closest dealer who will is 120 miles away so very expensive to just get there and back. MI e has been to the dealer 4 times and the last time they reached the 12v. But each time hey sort of said that they found nothing wrong. I asked then why I got the turtle and the car was bricked. No reasonable answer. I believe that it is a bad connection in the main battery pack. I also believe when it was towed to the dealer they knew that contacted Fiat they said they would not replace it and messed around till the error went away. So it is an intermittent problem. Right now it is running and basically Fiat will do nothing. I have ordered a dongal and will see if I can get some details next time it happens. Keep trying the car it. Ay start working.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,229 Posts
Once you get the OBD dongle it would be a good idea to check things while it's running, like min/max cell voltage, or even individual cell voltages. Then you could look for differences if it fails again.

I just checked your other post & see that they "replaced" your 12V (not "recharged" which doesn't work for a 500e: Once it gets too old to start the car, it's completely worn out).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Once you get the OBD dongle it would be a good idea to check things while it's running, like min/max cell voltage, or even individual cell voltages. Then you could look for differences if it fails again.

I just checked your other post & see that they "replaced" your 12V (not "recharged" which doesn't work for a 500e: Once it gets too old to start the car, it's completely worn out).
I thought I said the last time it turtled the replaced the 12v but since then about a week ago it did it again. Right now it is running again thanks, I will look at battery voltage like you recommended.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,229 Posts
Is your humidity sensor deactivated? (click here for details).

No, I'm not crazy! I just checked my notes & someone had their 500e fail to go into drive until they unplugged that sensor. I used to think that was ridiculous until someone explained that if the sensor test at startup takes too long, the car will show errors. We now know that even false alarms can prevent 500e operation.

So the crappy humidity sensor can cause a false alarm that prevents driving! If yours isn't deactivated, please unplug it next time the car fails & report back if it worked or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your humidity sensor deactivated? (click here for details).

No, I'm not crazy! I just checked my notes & someone had their 500e fail to go into drive until they unplugged that sensor. I used to think that was ridiculous until someone explained that if the sensor test at startup takes too long, the car will show errors. We now know that even false alarms can prevent 500e operation.

So the crappy humidity sensor can cause a false alarm that prevents driving! If yours isn't deactivated, please unplug it next time the car fails & report back if it worked or not.
I will heaven's knowsi got squat from Fiat!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Just to let me know unplugging the humidity detector I have not had it turtle in a month now! I think it fixed it thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts