Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a four week overseas vacation and on my return, my 500e is dead.

No charging lights, no dashboard info - nothing. Furthermore, I just tried inserting the key in the ignition and now I can't get it out again!

I left it plugged in to the charging unit while I was away and it had a 88% charge when I left it (info from the iPhone app). I'm using the standard 110v charging adaptor - this is the way I've always charged the car without any problems (and I've verified there's nothing wrong with the power outlet)

Anybody got any idea what's going on and how to resolve it?

Car is the 2014 model, purchased new in May 2014.

FYI that earlier this year, I was away from home for fully two months. Likewise, the car sat in the garage plugged in while I was away. Absolutely no problems on my return.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
Call up Fiatcare, have them tow it to the nearest studio. Something must be draining your batteries.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The voltage of the 12V chassis battery (under the hood) has fallen below the minimum that the computer requires for start up.

There may have been some unexpected current drain on that battery, or else the battery has developed a bad cell. Dealer service should be able to determine which and get you back on the road.

If it were me, I'd try lifting the hood, disconnecting the 12V battery, and then giving it a good recharge with a standard 12V battery charger. Once reconnected, the key should be removable again, and the car should at least start up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The electronics run off the 12V battery, which is independent of the main drivetrain battery. Some owners have reported the 12V battery going bad, and there is a software problem that can prevent the electronics from shutting down completely and draining the 12V battery.

As multiair says, a recharge might get it going again. If the battery went bad, the dealer will replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I just got back from a four week overseas vacation and on my return, my 500e is dead.

No charging lights, no dashboard info - nothing. Furthermore, I just tried inserting the key in the ignition and now I can't get it out again!

I left it plugged in to the charging unit while I was away and it had a 88% charge when I left it (info from the iPhone app). I'm using the standard 110v charging adaptor - this is the way I've always charged the car without any problems (and I've verified there's nothing wrong with the power outlet)

Anybody got any idea what's going on and how to resolve it?

Car is the 2014 model, purchased new in May 2014.

FYI that earlier this year, I was away from home for fully two months. Likewise, the car sat in the garage plugged in while I was away. Absolutely no problems on my return.

Many thanks.
Hi smallard,

I'm sorry to hear about this experience! Roadside Assistance is included in your warranty. Have you called them to have the vehicle towed to your local studio for diagnostics? Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you!

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
Might want to charge up your 12volt battery. Mine went bad, on my ICE 500. Couldn't get the key out of the ignition. Set off the immobilizer. It could be as simple as a discharge battery. Your car been sitting around, with nothing keeping it charged up.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! My Fiat 500e 2015,was left in garage for 2 months, 12V battery, drained totally,
and the car battery system was at 25%.
Charged my 12V battery, and then i put it back in the car and i got a TURTLE,and the need for repair,
and car will not charge,or drive.
Bought a new home charger, but result is still negative!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello! My Fiat 500e 2015,was left in garage for 2 months, 12V battery, drained totally,
and the car battery system was at 25%.
Charged my 12V battery, and then i put it back in the car and i got a TURTLE,and the need for repair,
and car will not charge,or drive.
Bought a new home charger, but result is still negative!
Once a lead acid 12V battery has been fully discharged and left in that state for a while, it is most likely permanently shot. Get yourself a brand new 12V battery and charge it up fully and install that into the car. If your HV main battery pack still registers 25%, then you should be OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once a lead acid 12V battery has been fully discharged and left in that state for a while, it is most likely permanently shot. Get yourself a brand new 12V battery and charge it up fully and install that into the car. If your HV main battery pack still registers 25%, then you should be OK.
This is the absolute truth.

Why in the world are the 12v batteries dying though? This sounds like piss poor programming.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Why in the world are the 12v batteries dying though? This sounds like piss poor programming.
12V car batteries usually only last 3-6 years. Like a Li-ion, they're aged/damaged by deep cycling (as in this case) & also heat, & while there's much less heat coming from an electric drivetrain than an ICE, our cars spend a lot of time charging, & the onboard charger throws off quite a bit of heat right next to the 12V.

To help keep the 12V cool, I permanently removed the useless plastic motor cover & open the hood when I charge. My buddy doesn't, & his 2014 12V died in Sept 2018. Other forum members (who weren't on vacation at the time) saw advanced warnings of that on the display, but he didn't notice any. He drove to the store & it wouldn't start when he came out!

My 2013 still works but is overdue to die so I carry a little portable jumpstarter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just did a test on my 12V and with the car off it's reading a little low. The tester shows that my battery is bad so I'm looking to replace mine pretty soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about the dead car. That would have me freaking out. Good luck.
Two questions:
RU: What's that gizmo? How wide-ranging are its analytical abilities?
TireShredder: Can you show how to remove the plastic cover? Anybody else have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's a battery tester that I picked up a little while back. Here's a link to it on amazon, I think it does a far better job of telling you all the test features than I can. https://amzn.to/39ofiH1

I'm very sorry to hear about the dead car. That would have me freaking out. Good luck.
Two questions:
RU: What's that gizmo? How wide-ranging are its analytical abilities?
TireShredder: Can you show how to remove the plastic cover? Anybody else have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It's no more cause to "freak out" than a non-stickshift ICE with a dead 12V battery!

The motor cover unsnaps straight up, with about the same effort as lifting a full laundry basket. It may feel like it's going to break, but it is very strong. I just leave mine in the garage. Makes it easier to reboot if needed (12V batt access).

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thing about battery testers is you need to really make sure you have a solid connection when testing. Any dirt, oxidation etc will mess up the resistance values and could incorrectly tell you your battery is bad. So make sure the terminals are clean and the tester is clamped down well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts