Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
228 Posts
The 2017 i bought yesterday has the original battery from the factory should i go out and replace it for safe keeping? I dont want to hassle of a dead battery.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
You could get a battery for what, $100+? OR you could get an OBD reader for only $17 on eBay to CHECK if you need a battery. A $10 Amazon multimeter will also do that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can have your 12V battery tested for free at most auto parts stores (AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc). Your 2017 battery will likely be good for at least another couple of years, but if you want peace of mind you can easily go ahead and change it.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
228 Posts
You could get a battery for what, $100+? OR you could get an OBD reader for only $17 on eBay to CHECK if you need a battery. A $10 Amazon multimeter will also do that.

I have multi-meters and i also have access to battery diag tools (I work at Toyota dealer) I pulled the cover off last night quickly didnt have a good gander but it appears to look like a battery used in my VW, is that a H5 or a H6? If its a H6 i got a new spare sittting in the garage.

I do have a ELM327 i use on occasion not sure of that works on this car but i do use them on Toyotas and some other makes to find fault codes, on my VW i use a dongle called OBDEleven that allows pretty much all access a dealer VAGCOM has.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
At the dealer, do NOT plug in a standard OBD reader, as it may fry the 500e.

My ELM327 works fine with the free AlfaOBD "demo" app. If you only have iPhone/iPad, try a laptop or $15 Amazon Android. To check 12V voltage you have to do it without the key "on" or it will only show charging voltage of 14V+. Run the OBD right after opening/closing the driver's door. If you miss it the first time, just open/close again.

·
Registered
228 Posts

My ELM327 works fine with the free AlfaOBD "demo" app. If you only have iPhone/iPad, try a laptop or $15 Amazon Android. To check 12V voltage you have to do it without the key "on" or it will only show charging voltage of 14V+. Run the OBD right after opening/closing the driver's door. If you miss it the first time, just open/close again.
I've read somewhere certain years of the fiat blocked access to the OBD port with third party readers and required authentication to through the gateway to pull any info from it, I am hoping my 2017 isn't the case.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't heard of that, considering that it would be against the law. Regardless none of the Fiat 500e odb2 port access are blocked.

I've read somewhere certain years of the fiat blocked access to the OBD port with third party readers and required authentication to through the gateway to pull any info from it, I am hoping my 2017 isn't the case.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is posted on the front page of AlfaOBD. AlfaOBD
Note: Starting from MY2018 (Fiat 500L from MY2017) FCA installs the Security Gateway Module (SGW) which blocks access to diagnostics for the third-party software. There is no software solution yet, as a workaround please use a hardware bypass module (as an example).
Owners of Alfa Romeo Giulia/Stelvio, Fiat 500X/Toro/Jeep Renegade/Compass (MP) : make sure that the bypass supports the second high-speed CAN bus, the one that is connected to the pins 12 and 13 of the car OBD port. The bypass from Zautomotive does not currently support this bus!
Here is how to modify Zautomotive device (thanks to Fulvio from Italy for the solution and the permission to publish it) :
Open the Zautomotive device and solder two wires: connect pins A1 and A2, and connect pins A8 and A9 (see the picture). Modification is the same for the first and the second model of the device.

This is posted on the front page of MultiECUscan. Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars
2018/2019 MODELS WARNING: Some 2018+ vehicles have a "security gateway" module (SGW). The SGW module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (like actuators, procedures and even clearing of DTCs). It is not possible to unlock the SGW module with Multiecuscan. The only diagnostic tool that can unlock full access to the affected vehicles is the factory tool. Another option is to use 'SGW bypass' device or physically connect the diagnostic tool to CAN lines behind SGW module.
The 2018+ models with confirmed presence of SGW are: 500X/Renegade, 500L MCA, Doblo, Giulia/Stelvio. The module is also present in some late 2017 vehicles.
You can rund the SCAN function (which is also available in the FREE version of Multiecuscan) to check if your vehicle has SGW module.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Where exactly do I find the 12v battery suits on AlfaOBD? Can't find it anywhere

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! My Fiat 500e 2015,was left in garage for 2 months, 12V battery, drained totally,
and the car battery system was at 25%.
Charged my 12V battery, and then i put it back in the car and i got a TURTLE,and the need for repair,
and car will not charge,or drive.
Bought a new home charger, but result is still negative!
Exact same here... posted my situation in another thread... Reboot via 30-second HV disconnect?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
Leaving any car very long with a 12V more than a few years old is risky.

Thanks for reminding me to say buying a typical 12V charger for a 500e is generally a waste, since it gets charged at over 14V from the HV batt whenever the car is "on" or charging. A TRICKLE charger is good for storage though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If anyone has the money to do so id get the gravity lithium ion battery, it even has remote control 12v disconnect (to prevent discharge while stored) and built in isolated jump starter all built into the battery, so cool and 80% lighter but $700 yikes.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
Where exactly do I find the 12v battery suits on AlfaOBD? Can't find it anywhere
On MY phone it's about 1/4 of the way down the 3rd page down the screen:

System (12) Volts: 12.xx V
BPCM 12 Volt connector inputs:

After 5 days without driving or chargin, my 2013 is reading 12.00 V! Yikes! I can't believe there's still no warning notice on the display! Maybe it has to hit 11.99 first.

·
Registered
228 Posts
On MY phone it's about 1/4 of the way down the 3rd page down the screen:

System (12) Volts: 12.xx V
BPCM 12 Volt connector inputs:

After 5 days without driving or chargin, my 2013 is reading 12.00 V! Yikes! I can't believe there's still no warning notice on the display! Maybe it has to hit 11.99 first.
My 500e came with some sorta GPS Theft tracker thing so that sends my phone push notifications if it leaves the geo fence i set or when 12v system reads below whatever i set it, in my case when it reaches below 12.2V the thing is wired i guess into the OBD as it tells me the exact milage on the car, state of charge and tracks my route, speed etc.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
Cool, & now we know that 12.00V is enough. Just need to figure out if a cheaper, lighter motorcycle battery will work. If nobody has a motorbike to try before mine dies, I may just spend the $50 to see for myself.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cool, & now we know that 12.00V is enough. Just need to figure out if a cheaper, lighter motorcycle battery will work. If nobody has a motorbike to try before mine dies, I may just spend the $50 to see for myself.

It MIGHT work for a short while but it doesnt have enough reserve capacity to be safe since there is a constant draw on the battery when parked. I have a bike and the battery is comically tiny, like the size of 10x Samsung Note 10 stack on top of each other.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,564 Posts
It seems to me there must be very little draw when parked. Either that or it waits for a pretty low 12V before the HV recharges it, because I've often gone a week or 10 days parked AND getting in & out (to pack/unpack stuff) with solenoid clunking, often brake pump activating, hatch light, etc (often using headlights to illuminate garage!) & only very rarely have seen 1% drop in the gauge.

Someone said it was posted somewhere online that a stack of AAs would start it. If so, you'd only need that much left in a motorcycle battery after any parking drain.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts