Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I've come to really like the convenience of having owner's manual in the My Fiat app.

I was flipping through the maintenance section, smiling at how little the 500e needs, when I noticed it says that the tires can not be rotated front to back because "the front and rear tires are different sizes".

They are the same and the door sticker says they should be.

Mr FiatCares - I assume this is just a mistake in the app?

Regards,
Trent

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
ahhh so the tires essentially can be the same size HOWEVER the width of the rims can be different which makes sense to make room for the hardware for regenerative braking

·
Registered
175 Posts
The wheels can only be rotated side to side. Just like Crossfire and Viper.

Wheels are different widths front to back.
Can you confirm this for the base model? I thought the staggered wheels only came on the eSport. Staggered wheels are a total pain in the butt! And why have staggered wheels with the same sized tires? That makes NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!! I'd say it's actually a bad idea.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ahhh so the tires essentially can be the same size HOWEVER the width of the rims can be different which makes sense to make room for the hardware for regenerative braking
No it doesn't. Regenerative braking is done by getting the electric motor to create power, instead of using power. This is all in the control electronics and not any hardware that is inside of the wheel arch.

Also, same sized tires on different sized rims means that the turning characteristics and the like of the tire/wheel combo is different at both ends. Using staggered wheels is only an optimization IF you use proper tires on them to maximize contact patches. This is typically done in high HP cars (Viper for a street car, look at dragsters for extreme examples). If FIAT really did put a fat rear wheel and a skinny front wheel on a FWD car, I'd really love to talk to someone in engineering who can explain this, as it doesn't make any sense from the point of view of handling or putting power down. FWD high HP cars get the wider tires on the front, and the skinnies on the rear, because the fronts have to turn the car AND put the power down. Using wider rear rims on a FWD car is about looks and style, but not about performance.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Can you confirm this for the base model? I thought the staggered wheels only came on the eSport. Staggered wheels are a total pain in the butt! And why have staggered wheels with the same sized tires? That makes NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!! I'd say it's actually a bad idea.

This is unfortunately the case for all 500e. We needed the wider wheels in back to help manage the battery weight distribution. Wider wheels increase lateral stiffness in cornering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
500e & aftermarket tires & wheels?

The wheels can only be rotated side to side. Just like Crossfire and Viper.

Wheels are different widths front to back.
Thats no longer the case with the 2014 500e, right?

Can owners put lower-profile, wider, stickier tires on the 500e? I own an Abarth and love how it handles.

I'm interested in buying a 500e, but didn't like the handling characteristics of the skinny, hard, high-profile tires at high speed and on wide sweeper turns. I'd be willing to live with reduced range in exchange for better handling. (I'd only need a range of 40 miles per charge.)

also, so, I have a set of aftermarket wheels off my Abarth. Do people ever put non-stock wheels on the 500e? (The OEM wheels are pretty unattractive...)

Any information would be appreciated!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try searching "500e wheels", 500e rims, 500e tires, etc. on this site and regular Google. Many people have swapped out their stock tires/rims with great success.

·
Registered
226 Posts
you "can" rotate the rears to the fronts. in fact i had to do this.
20140607_123301 by jeremy!, on Flickr

after 5,000 miles my front tires are becoming bald, so... rotate!

the only thing mechanically stopping you from doing this are the brake disc pins, they keep the rear wheel from being mounted on the front.
easy enough to unscrew and swap.
20140607_124121 by jeremy!, on Flickr
20140607_124115 by jeremy!, on Flickr

after rotating the wheels i took the car for a test drive around the block. everthing is fine, in fact i would say its better than fine as the car no longer peels out on every from stopped acceleration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put 16x8 et 25 wheels front and back with 260 treadwear 205/45/16 tires on my 2014. Handles better than it should on cut Abarth springs. Dealer said they'd charge me almost $800 for tires if i returned the car with less than an 1/8th of treadwear left. I'm in to this wheel and tire setup $678 including wobble bolts. I should be able to recoupe a good chunk of that when i sell them later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you look at the side walls of the tires from either front or rear of the car, you can see the rear side wall is "straighter" where the front tire sidewall is slightly "concave". Easy way to tell/confirm the rear wheels are wider.

·
Registered
226 Posts
it works fine. as I sad in the previous page I did exactly that. there is like zero rational for putting wider wheels with the same tire size. I dont know why it says we cannot rotate. even going so far to put wheel pegs in the hub that need be swapped as well. car handles just as good, if not better [given the fresh tread] with the rear wheels up front. the whole put it back there because of the battery pack thing seems incorrect.

·
Registered
769 Posts
OK cause I'm gonna need either balancing, rotating, and an alignment soon on mine. Lots of wheel and tire noise from the front, along with the steering wheel facing left a tad if I'm going straight. If I straighten the steering wheel, the car moves to the right. Need to get that fixed. I was hoping a rotation would help a bit for the wheels

Arabella

·
Registered
226 Posts
cant align either.

except for tow. thats why I did whatever I needed to to get the rear tires in front. I did not want to pay for a re mount so I moved the front wheel and tire to the rear.

for a 3rd time. EVERYTHING IS FINE. this whole cant rotate is nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
OK cause I'm gonna need either balancing, rotating, and an alignment soon on mine. Lots of wheel and tire noise from the front, along with the steering wheel facing left a tad if I'm going straight. If I straighten the steering wheel, the car moves to the right. Need to get that fixed. I was hoping a rotation would help a bit for the wheels

Arabella
No issue moving front to rear, adjustment needed is to the air pressure as they differ from front to rear. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
After > 20K miles I decided to bite the bullet and rotate the fronts and the rears. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. The alignment studs were very easy to remove and swap. The rear wheels are noticeably heavier and the ride characteristic of the car totally changed after the rotation. There's less over steer and the acceleration is more subdued. The bounce going over bumps is also less harsh. My only worry, and a minor one, is the potential range loss. I only got 72 miles out of my first full day of driving after the swap, but thinking back the 115 F weather might have played a bigger factor than the wheels themselves. My 2nd and 3rd full day of driving yielded numbers very close to what I was getting before. Hopefully any range loss is negligible so that I can get another 20K miles out of this set of tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't see rotating front to rear since the rear wheels are wider and heavier. I understand you can rotate side to side providing the tire is 'multidirectional. However, some tires are made to go only in one direction. I know they don't come as 'Left and right' like shoes, but I think it depends on how the tread belt is joined at the seam.

If you have a lot of time and some money. I guess you could un-mount, then mount and balance and switch front and rear.

Maybe examine the tread wear and take some action only if they are wearing unevenly.

COSTCO has alternating sales on Bridgestone and Michelins. Bridgestone has a low resistance rolling tire on sale for about $125, mount and balance included, with a 70,000-mile warranty.

Your thoughts?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts