Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well like the title says...I was at a gas station filling up. some guy said "how much to fill the car?", I said "around $35-$40", he said "great! nice car!"...I finish filling, pull away and bam, as I pull out onto the main road I missed the ever so tiny decline on onto it and went over the main curb...dropped down 6-8 inches and heard a bam...then proceeded to continue the rest of the way and bam rest of the car dropped off.....IM VERY UPSET about this. first off im in pittsburgh and nearest dealer is 80 miles away and two it was just STUPID!

anyway the car drives fine...i looked under (its at night) with a flashlight and not a single sign of damage or scrapes anywhere...the thing is i DO notice the steering feels tighter. its kinda like how sports mode feels without turing it on, not so much but slightly. i also notice the if when driving straight and i turn the wheel right or left ever so slightly it almost wants to snap back straight again. its almost like the steering IMPROVED but i know thats not the case.

anyway...does anybody have experience with this sorta stuff to know what damage if any could have happened? thanks you in advance

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looked underneith yesterday during the day....not a scratch besides a small one inch scrape on the exhaust, very weird. Anyway car drives good...took it on a 200 mile drive and everything was flawless, even at 90mph...these are tough little cars! Im still confused how I heard scraping beacause the curb was higher than the bottom of the car, yet there is no damage at all under the car Hmmm....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I certainly hope all is well with your car. I'm also in Pittsburgh and purchased in Youngstown.

I have been getting a ton of questions as well. In fact, this older Italian man stopped me on the street to ask about the car, as he learned to drive on the original 500. After talking, he invited me to La Prima Espresso in the Strip District so all of his buddies could see the car. It was quite a bit of fun to hear about their stories of the original 500.

I'm heading to the Vintage Grand Prix next week in Schenley Park to hang with the FIAT/Lancia Group. Many of the racers will be running Alfas.

Again, hope the car is wonderful. I have truly been enjoying mine. I've seen 4 others in the city.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad to hear no apparent damage. I'm located in Pgh. area also and bought in Youngstown. Any word on whether or not a Pgh. studio is due to open? I've had zero issues with my 500 since buying it several weeks ago, but it would be nice to have routine maintenance done at home.

I agree these are tough, comfortable, well-built cars -- and tons of fun to drive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looked underneith yesterday during the day....not a scratch besides a small one inch scrape on the exhaust, very weird. Anyway car drives good...took it on a 200 mile drive and everything was flawless, even at 90mph...these are tough little cars! Im still confused how I heard scraping beacause the curb was higher than the bottom of the car, yet there is no damage at all under the car Hmmm....
If you think there is any chance something happened to your steering, and you are not a qualified mechanic, you would be well served to have one check it over. Cheaper than a casket.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Could have been the fenders, not the car underbody. Feel underneath for the scrape marks.

I bought a set of car ramps, can't use them on this car. You can't get the wheels onto the ramp without hitting the low fenders.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Could have been the fenders, not the car underbody. Feel underneath for the scrape marks.

I bought a set of car ramps, can't use them on this car. You can't get the wheels onto the ramp without hitting the low fenders.
Wow, I didn't realize the front end sat so low...I hope I don't drag coming out
of my driveway...but I'm paranoid now. :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts

Put a short 1x8 board leading up the beginnning of each ramp to reduce the initial incline. Sometimes just a 2x4 or 2x6 across in front of the beginning point of the ramp provides just enough lift to clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts