Fiat 500 Forum banner

My Impression - Eibach Pro Lowering Springs

16K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  2wheels4me 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally installed the Eibach Pro's today that have been sitting in my living room for nearly three weeks (much to the displeasure of my other half). Install was not bad at all - though I would say for sure the job is impossible without an impact wrench for the fronts. It took me about 3 lazy hours. It could have been done more quickly but I was really trying to be careful and take my time. If I had to do this again on another 500 it could easily be done in less than90 minutes.

Let me preface by saying I had read a few posts containing complaints about the Eibachs. I can finally say that I don't get it. Is the car more firm? Yes. Do you feel more of the road? Yes. Is it obnoxious at all? No. The car feels the way I expected it to after hearing about how great the stock sport suspension was. When I brought the car home from the dealer (sorry – “Studio”) I took an I95 off ramp and had to panic brake after the car felt like it was about to tip over. The sport suspension leans so much in corners I'm shocked people rave about its handling. Now that I've dropped the car not only does it LOOK a lot better - it stays completely flat in the turns the way I wanted it to from the beginning. I've also seen posts about cutting the rear bump stops (which is not a recommendation of Eibach by the way) and I have yet to experience anything that would make me want to. Mind you my experience with these springs thus far is limited to the 35 (rather aggressive) miles I drove home from my dad’s garage.

Also - I have seen some back and forth about how much the car actually drops after install. Many vendors are advertising the same drop front to rear and if that were the case the rear of the car would still be higher than the front.This makes no sense since in every picture I have seen the car looks level. There is also a debate about Eibach vs H&R. Let me simply post what I found by simply visiting each manufacturers website with regard to how much they lower the car. What I find intriguing about the Eibach vs H&R debate is that it focuses mostly on the rear drop.

Eibach: 1" front / 1.4" rear

H&R: 1.2" front / 1.4" rear

Understand that these figures are admittedly "estimated" by each manufacturer. I still find it to be very interesting though.

I will post an update to this thread as the next week or two progresses just to add any additional comments. Please if anyone has any questions about the install or my experience with the springs – do not hesitate to ask!

Now - for the obligatory before and after pics. Enjoy!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Fiat 500

See less See more
Reactions: Spacepod
#2 ·
Looks great this will be done to mine!!

#3 ·
Best price shipped by the way was Tire Rack. :D

#5 ·
#7 ·
The new FIAT 500 reintroduces an Italian icon and a classic favorite to the American market. This Italian mini has created quite a buzz in the automotive industry and with the addition of H&R Sport Springs becomes even more fun to drive. H&R ride development engineers have designed the H&R Sport Springs to give this Italian cutie the perfect stance and performance handling. The progressive spring rate provides superb ride quality and comfort.

H&R Sport Springs for the Fiat 500 —Part # 29054-4—will lower approximately .75 inches front and 1.3 inches rear – creating an even tire and fender gap for a more fashionable appearance. Lowering your Fiat 500 with H&R Sport Springs improves handling and provides that cool H&R stance.

Like all of H&R’s products, H&R Sport Springs are 100% made in Germany

#8 · (Edited)
And here in lies the problem with resellers posting inaccurate information adding to buyer confusion. Do you think Tire Rack knows better than H&R themselves? Tire rack also has incorrect information for the Eibachs. They state a 1.2" drop front and rear. Does my car look like it dropped the same front and rear? I think I'll stick to trusting the manufacturers advertised specs before any given resellers. ;)

#12 ·
First post; I am considering the 500 after having driven one twice, enjoying it both times. It really reminds me of my youth in the late 60s and 70s when I blammed around in many small, low-powered, but endearing and fun cars. The idea of modding is very attractive to me, as I have done or had done to my motorcycles. The 500 clearly looks even better with the amount of lowering the Eibach Pros provide. I have looked through most of the posts regarding the suspension, but only occasionally see references to post-installation alignment. I see you did your own installation (congrats). May I ask if you had the alignment checked ?

#13 ·
I have not had it checked - however several forum members have made mention of the alignment being fine post install. The car still tracks perfectly straight in my case. Nothing removed would cause the alignment to be off as the front end does not use camber bolts. The only thing that will change is you will get more negative camber - a good thing! I have zero reason thus far to get mine checked. That said, I'll probablly have them check it at the first oil change for good measure.

#16 ·
Why, thanks! Yes, I certainly will. I am hoping that the more modest springs might be OK with the stock sport dampers; some think yes others aren't so sure. I have read that a lot of folks think coil-overs tend to be harsh. I would like some more roll resistance, but don't need race-track performance (and harshness). I suppose it'll take a while before more products come out AND people try them. I will keep following those who have done the modest-drop springs and look out for coil-over pioneers' comments.

#15 ·
I have been wanting to get the 2" drop ones from 500 madness but I have kind of been afraid of a rock hard ride. My car is stiffer and more sure footed with wider tires but it is noisier. Using 17" x7" r40 Yokohama sport drives on Sparco Assetto Gara rims. I don't get to much dive or body roll in corners, in fact I can yank it around corners without even a chirp. But I sure like the look of the slammed body. They are pretty cheap so I think I may take the plunge soon and try them out.

#18 ·
I'd suggest chatting with phattbam and reading this thread, this is what I have my eyes on and think I prefer the most but your wishes may differ from mine. http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/11-fiat-500-wheels-tires-suspension/2214-coilovers-installed.html
Yes, thanks, I just went through that thread. i went to the ST suspensions site, but so far I saw no link to anything Fiat. It does seem that they do offer numerous lines with varying ability to adjust height, compression and rebound. I'll save further questions for that thread rather than this one.

#20 ·
I have the ST's as well, they are out there, just find a dealer and order them. mine were 800 and i installed them myself. its the best way to go...but remember your taking 2 inches or so of spring away in the rear. that car bottoms out easier and is much more firm..but...it handles way better on smooth roads..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.