Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you getting flashed by passing cars because they think you have your brights on when they aren't? I have driven only a few times at night and almost every time passing cars flash me. I flash my brights quickly to show I'm not being a jerk driving with my brights on. I am thinking of adjusting the lights down, if that's possible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same here!!!Getting flashed all the time....yesterday after a car flash me i flash my brights quickly .....the car it's a police car!!!HAHAHA

But he do nothing!!:D

The headlight and fog light on the Fiat 500 it's very bright!!!!I love it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I find that many cars have brighter low beams these days. Some cars that I think have their high beams on flash me so I flash them. It's all fair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's strange, when I've been driving at night I've noticed how perfectly tops my headlights align with the horizon (and below the bottom of the car behind me...as all cars should!).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened to me. But I noticed when i drove my other car ( 1959 Austin Cambridge) in front of my Cinquecento , the one headlight was out of alignment. No problems as I was on my way to the dealership for my 8000 mile service.

They realigned my headlights and now they are great. I still get flashed though.

Brock

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here's how to aim your headlights, written by Daniel Stern.

Here's a Allpar article penned by him in part. It talks a bit about the new Chrysler cars, their new interest in headlights that actually work, etc. You'll find a bit about the 500's lights there.

We've been given very good bi-halogen projectors which use an HIR2 bulb; this puts out a nominal lumen count that doubles the number from many inferior designs (like my old 2008 Jeep Wrangler, for instance). Yes, double. And that's with the superior color rendering index that halogen produces compared to HID or LED.
It really is a good headlight design, especially when aimed correctly.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think mine are aimed properly but tonight I had them and the fogs, (cause I really like the extra side view and closeup frontal view they add) turned on and I got flashed so I hit the highs, the people them flashed me again with their highs so I guess they did not realize it or they were just really bothered, maybe they were just jerks, thinking the last might be the case cause I think I actually know of the people since they live not far from me. I was thinking of going HID but I don't want to cut or add the extra weight and additional wiring although I know it isn't much I just see no real need.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think mine are aimed properly but tonight I had them and the fogs, (cause I really like the extra side view and closeup frontal view they add) turned on and I got flashed so I hit the highs, the people them flashed me again with their highs so I guess they did not realize it or they were just really bothered, maybe they were just jerks, thinking the last might be the case cause I think I actually know of the people since they live not far from me. I was thinking of going HID but I don't want to cut or add the extra weight and additional wiring although I know it isn't much I just see no real need.
My guess would be jerk...there's a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The foglights are only beneficial in foggy conditions when your speed is about 30 mph or less. Their light is spread far to the sides and will blind other motorists in clear conditions as well as constrict your pupils and cause your distance-vision to decrease.
Riding with them on in clear conditions might give you a warm fuzzy due to the extra light, but the light isn't helping unless you're going very slowly.

An HID capsule rebased to fit your projectors would be unsafe and illegal. Not to mention a waste.
You've got over 1800 lumens pumping out with nearly 100% CRI right now. An HID in there would be an unfocussed 3000 lumens but at only 70-75% CRI ---- due to the focus loss and poor CRI, it's really a stupid mod. It could potentially impair your vision and would definitely mess with oncoming drivers' sight.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I was in fact moving very slowly, not over 20MPH at the time, and I mention the HID from the few pics posted here by others, looked pretty good but the stock work so well I really cannot see doing that mod. You simply have to flash those that flash you first, if you are worried about road rage then just make sure the Glock is near, mine always is.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i was in fact moving very slowly, not over 20mph at the time, and i mention the hid from the few pics posted here by others, looked pretty good but the stock work so well i really cannot see doing that mod. You simply have to flash those that flash you first, if you are worried about road rage then just make sure the glock is near, mine always is.
lol

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Well it is a very true and accurate statement. :) Also, the fogs are AWESOME ANYTIME it isn't sunny if you ask me, perhaps different people see this differently but I perhaps got used to having them on since my mother with diminishing vision uses them for the added light they offer. I notice an improved range, I do have slightly diminished peripheral vision caused by a stroke in 95 so maybe that is a factor.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
On my way home tonight with my low beams on more then half the cars I passed flashed me or turned on their high beams, very annoying. :(

After a bit I think maybe just flip them on high and drive, if you're going to be flashed like you did something maybe you just should DO IT, then they have a real reason to flash you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Adjusted

I had my friend get in his CIVIC and park down the raod 100 yards. Then adjusted the lights down until they were just below where they were shining in his eyes. I drove around the dark country roads and they seemed to work ok, but didn't pass anyone else because it was a dark country road. I do think we won't get flashed anymore though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Growing up in Texas, as I recall, headlight alignment was one of the things that got checked when you took your car in for its yearly inspection. As such, most gas stations that did servicing, had a machine for checking alignment, and I susepct that it might be similar in other states (or Provinces, etc) as well. If there is a service station or repair place near you that you have used in the past, maybe you could have them check out the alignment for you there, to make sure that they are aligned correctly.

Regards

Pat

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'm still all for just driving with the brights on since they seem to think they are on anyways. I think what a large part of it is they are not used to seeing these cars which if you did turn on the fog lights, headlights, and I think the DRL stay on then it might seem you have highbeams on because of the # of lights, then if you flash back they are probably like WHOA, what the??? Just a guess though, I sit behind the wheel so I don't plan to see them in the incoming capacity, plus only one other I even know of in the entire city and surrounding smaller cities/counties.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts