Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving yesterday, my radio died, and about 5 sec later the display went black, and will not turn on again for any button push. Today I checked the fuses under the hood and under the driver's panel, and disconnected the 12v battery for a while - nothing! I was freaked out because I was in heavy, hot traffic and worried the car would die due to it being a computer problem (but it didn't). The main instrument cluster still works properly, this is only the center display and its functions.

Comments or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Bad radio. Have a Fiat dealership take a look at it. If you can, you can pull the unit yourself, take it to a car radio shop. Have them fix it. Save the labor cost of the dealership pulling it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks!
There is an excellent YouTube video about how to remove it -- it seems actually quite easy. AND - there is repair place that specializes in these items only a few miles away. I just don't need this right now!! Jeez.

EDIT - So I took it into High Tech Electronics Services here in Van Nuys CA. He called me later in the day to tell me the main board is fried - probably the main CPU that runs everything - $385! Oh well - gotta have my tunes and BlueTooth. Taking it out was a piece of cake. When I got it out, it was in the afternoon here with 90 degree weather. The unit was so hot could not hold it in my hands! I am sure that such heat contributes to iffy parts failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts