Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
If I'm only allowed to pick ONE reason to choose a 500e over my 2nd choice, it would be size. It has the most space........

...all around it.

Every lane is luxuriously wide, it squeezes into tiny gaps in traffic, & every "compact" parking spot is super-easy to zip in & out of, including curb parking where NO other car would fit, besides a "Smart". I once had to vacate a tight primo spot between 2 other cars on my block, & when I returned, the spot was still vacant, since nobody else could fit!

2nd-choice Mini Cooper SE is longer & wider, & only available with a metal roof.

Mini range is also less, at "only" 285% of the average daily drive.

Both cars fully recharge overnight from a standard wall outlet, but a 500e charges faster at public DC stations.

· Registered
15 Posts
1) only electric convertible

2) having owned it since May, it's pretty much the perfect 2nd car. Fits 4 adults and the boot fits 4 full large shopping bags (surprisingly)

3) It's really fun to drive. Acceleration isn't Tesla-scary but still surprising

4) charging cost (using Octopus overnight tariff @7.5p per unit plus occasional day charge @40p per unit) has been 2.8p per mile

5) nice to have real buttons for the fans

The lane assist and automatic braking don't work that well for me, not a big deal 🤷

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
...pretty much the perfect 2nd car... It's really fun to drive... 2.8p per mile
Pretty much the perfect only car for me: On the rare occasion I need anything bigger, I borrow or rent. Same for if I ever need to go further than is convenient in the E, or I just drive to the airport ;).

& ya: The reasons to chose any EV over petrol also apply...
  • "Really fun" more balanced handling (low, rear battery mass), & instant torque at any time: Driving a petrol car now scares me when I floor it to pass: There's a momentary delay where my heart skips a beat thinking it died. Then there's a loud noise, which is reassuring except that still nothing has happened. Then it downshifts & finally starts to accelerate. Also scary when the front end slides out on corners - much less of that in an EV.
  • Often 0.0p per mile to refill: 22 free chargers now right on my 17-mile drive! & refilling usually only takes 4 seconds: 2 to plug into my standard garage outlet, & 2 to unplug. Same for the free chargers at the grocery stores.
  • No oil changes or emissions checks to pay for or even go for.
  • Except for tires & the 2nd-gen's 2-year brake flushes, the 1st 10 years of maintenance is super-easy DIY: Lightbulbs, wipers, 12V starter battery & cabin air filter (I admit that last one was a bit finicky).

· Registered
94 Posts
Its fun to drive plus some of the tech like ACC and average speed through areas with average speed cameras works well.
Reasonable range, especially over main rivals - Mini and Honda.
Small, so fits my garage and ideal on the narrow roads in Cornwall
Reasonable price with discounts and grants although less so now
Added bonus is the the average 4.5miles/Kw over 3,500 miles, much better than expected
Ideal as a second car.

· Registered
2 Posts
Off all the small (daily commuter wanted) electrics (eco wanted) with low mileage range (low used purchase price) that we looked at, this was the only one with the right tire sized to get studded snows (live on a steep hill).

· Registered
6 Posts
I've been driving a USA SPEC 2015 500e for the last 2 years. The main reasons I bought it was reduced operating and maintenance costs; but, the big surprise it how great it is to drive. Instant torque and no shifting are pure pleasure. The power just feels effortless. Off the line I can outrun almost anything. I'm 6' 4" , 250 pounds and it comfortably carries two guys my size plus Thanksgiving groceries for 16 guests. I live in a rural area so limited ange and lack of DC fast charging can be an issue. However, with 240 volt charging in my garage and free public charging here and there, it works. I have an ICE car to use when I have to, but it is rarely used. I bought it before used car prices went crazy, so my loan payment is small. The savings over not buying gas is more than the payment, so it's basically a free car. For me, while reduced operating and maintenance costs are great, it's the joy of ev driving performance that is my number one reason to drive ev.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
Even now, with higher used car prices but also higher fuel costs, 500e purchase price is less than a fuel-powered equivalent, in $/month (payment of car+"fuel"). The same is likely true of nearly any EV, along with better performance.

· Registered
Fiat 500e La Prima
23 Posts
1. It's the perfect 'personal car' : it brings me to work, to my hobbies, it holds what I ever buy at a shop, it holds the occasional passenger (or 2)
2. My La Prima is loaded with all the goodies of the 'big' cars : ACC, Winterpack, DAB+, Lane assist, sun roof, level 3 auto-drive, LED lights, auto-headlights, blind corner detection, rear view cam, ...
3. Best value for money EV fitting point 1 and 2 at the moment of decision (12 months ago), never wasted a minute fueling up since ... charging always happens during sleep, lunch, work, ...
4. It looks great and makes me happy every time I can go for a ride
5. The accelaration, the riding experience is great
6. I always find a parking spot

It's not the 'family car' but Stellantis might have solution for that as well with the Jeep Avenger ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts