Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought this $300 EVSE on Amazon for my 500e but unfortunately it didn’t work with Fiat scheduled charging:

BougeRV Level 2 EV Charger (240V, 32A, 25FT) Portable EV Charging Cable EVSE Electric Vehicle Charger

Unlike the OEM supply it seems to disconnect and/or go to sleep and the car slips into goalpost error mode.

Thanks to this forum I found out about wiring OEM to 240V and even though I have 50A outdoor service available 16A 3kW is enough for our situation.

I still want another EVSE so asking this knowledgable group if someone has 32A recommendation known to work with Fiat scheduled charging?

Although I can kludge together 14-50 extension if no other option I really need about 30' cable from my outlet.

If not I’ll probably just buy another OEM on FleaBay then convert the plug to 240V in order to have a spare.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My OpenEVSEs do that sometimes, as well. I find the onboard charger and scheduler in the Fiat a little finicky compared my i3. I would start with cleaning the connectors on the charge ports. I use a contact cleaner(DeoxIT) with some qtips.

It seemed to work for awhile last time I tried it, but the problem appears to be very random; with or without the fiat's scheduling on. I will say its still turns on the charger at the hour I have set at, even with the goal post error.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I only get the goal posts when I set the charge limit on my juicebox. When the juicebox shuts off before the car is fully charged I get the goal posts. If I increase the charge percentage on the juicebox, charging resumes and the goal posts go away. Charge timer works fine with the juicebox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it stay in goalpost mode even after the scheduled time goes active?
It did not see the charger again. Yes, goalposts blinking after scheduled period. No charge took place. OEM 120/240V works flawlessly no goalposts.

Thanks for all enlightening comments. Duly noted and appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went back and looked at my similar issue, because it completely stopped working today; Its my cable... I think one of the pins in the J1772 side is loose on the cable, I built myself. I didn't realize it was the cable, because I have a few of them and the homebuilt cable was still working most of the time.

I would check to see if one of the wires is a bit loose in the j1772 handle/plug, because the BougeRV charger looks like it uses the standard Duosida(chinese) plug. A voltmeter can pin point which wire is losing communication. I would link to the pin out, but the site I typically use for EV charging know how is down.

Cliff notes: I use custom cabling and outlet similar to the Europeans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts