Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost one of my keys. Any suggestions how to get a replacement? I'm assuming new OEM is a ripoff. Can I get a used one and have it reprogrammed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you can try a locksmith that is modern but I have read no reprogramming is possible. Dealer can cut by VIN and key tag

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
If you have a Ace Hardware. I ran across this ad, the other day. Not sure all of them do this key service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Extra keys

Thanks. How much did they charge?
I ordered 2 chip keys off the internet, and I guess I got lucky, because the locksmith I went to made them work.
He had just received the proper codes. He rekeyed my existing lone fob at the same time.
They were not push-button keys, but if you unlock twice, it doesn't set off the alarm.
I'm thinking it was under $100.
Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've ordered a key for a 2012 500 Sport and a 2015 500e. First one I ordered straight from a Fiat dealership for about $180. Second one I ordered online for $160. But when I took it to my Jeep/Dodge dealer cause its closer than the Fiat dealer, they said they couldn't program it even though I was willing to pay them so I still had to take it to the Fiat dealership for programming. They cut the key based on your vin so you basically have to go through an OEM whether its a dealer or official mopar online.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ordered 2 chip keys off the internet, and I guess I got lucky, because the locksmith I went to made them work.
He had just received the proper codes. He rekeyed my existing lone fob at the same time.
They were not push-button keys, but if you unlock twice, it doesn't set off the alarm.
I'm thinking it was under $100.
Good luck!
I'm going to explain the entire process to ensure that future searchers coming across this are not fooled into thinking this is as easy as 1,2,3. In short you were lucky.

Fiat uses a crypto key transponder system. There is a secret key that is shared by the car's Body Control Module (BCM) and the transponder. It's a write once system where the key can be written once on the transponder and then locked. After that it cannot be neither read nor changed again.

So the process of taking a blank unwritten transponder, getting the secret key for the BCM, writing it to the transponder, and locking it is called precoding. All of this preceeds what is considered "programming" of the keys, which is simply authorizing a new, already precoded key to the BCM.

So one cannot program a blank key because it's not precoded. One cannot reuse another key because it's already precoded to another BCM.

Fiat precodes by keeping a database of BCM secret keys based on VIN. So they take a blank transponder, precode the secret key, and send it to the dealer. The dealer then "programs" the already precoded key.

The other path, the "lucky one" in this case is to find a locksmith that has the ability to extract the secret key from the BCM. This is done either via OBD port or by physically removing the BCM from the car, extracting the chip with the secret key, and reading it. Once the secret key is in hand, it can be precoded into any number of blank transponders, producing new keys that can be programmed for the car.

I personally tried about 10 locksmiths and none had the equipment to precode from the BCM. In the end, I had it done with the dealer. Cost $280.

Finally, do not break or lose your last key. A Fiat with the alarm activated and no valid key will melt the BCM, permanently disabling the car. The car will have to be towed, the BCM replaced, and new keys precoded and programmed to the new BCM. My best advice is if you only have your last key, only lock the door from the outside and never use the fob to lock. Locking from the outside deactivates the alarm. Losing the last key then eliminates having to replace the BCM. I also had two non transponder keys cut. They unlock the car but will not start it.

If I had to do it all again, I'd likely bypass all the security by embedding the last working fob in the car and driving and locking the car with non transponder keys. It eliminates all the hassle and makes new keys both easy and cheap.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lost one of my keys. Any suggestions how to get a replacement? I'm assuming new OEM is a ripoff. Can I get a used one and have it reprogrammed.
It seems the risks are so high with not having a second key — and being sure that both of them have good batteries — that I will have to cough up. I want to make sure I spend as little as possible, and this conversation seems to have petered out. So, just to make sure: Can anyone give the name of a Fiat dealership in Southern California that gouges people less on this? OC Fiat charged half what the LA dealerships were on a pre-purchase inspection. I’m hoping it might work that way with keys, too. OC Fiat wants $280 per key. Does anybody beat that price? Secondly, did anyone have any recent success with Ace Hardware or any other locksmith in getting an infallible key, purportedly at 60% dealereship rates? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
$280 isn't terrible for a replacement key. It's expensive, but you don't have a lot of options. A locksmith can only cut the physical key but they can't program the transponder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One of the laughable things about any serious probing on this is that these Fiat dealerships don't know their backsides from their elbows when it comes to pricing.
I joined up, buying a car, understanding that. I think the 500e is a viable car, certainly for the next 6-8 years, and I'm pretty sure I got one of the good ones.
These dealership guys, including a lot of their service departments, act like they're skedaddling tomorrow. I don't believe that. I don't think they can get away with that legally. I know I'm thumping my chest here, so go ahead and deflate me if I'm wrong. But from what I've seen in working this problem, I think they're going to have to come through with prices that are sane.
In other words, I think what I got from a lead tech yesterday, that he's worked for Fiat for more than a decade and that he expects to hang on for a few more years, does make sense.
We'll all do better if we all press them. So,a couple hours of phone calls showed that these dealers really don't know what to charge for a key. I got answers all over the map. I didn't divulge who was giving me the lowest offer, but I did say, "Hey, look. I have this offer from your competitor. Why should I pay more? Invariably the guy I was talking to started trying to dicker with me.
As a group, they're caving.
If you talk to a service or parts supervisor and press them on the prices they're asking, they roll their eyes. But they're car people. They know this isn't fair. They try to blame the capricious prices on Fiat and Chrysler. The fact is, they know it isn't fair, or even consistent. All of us should press them on what they're charging and why.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, generally it "has" to be a Fiat dealer. In your case, I'd price at your lock smiths first. I checked.

We have 3 lock smiths locally that can make an additional key. IIRC, "my guy" charges $120 for the key, plus $60 for programming... you can save ordering the key from Amazon. Those keys claim (and look) to be Mopar, but one is never sure.

He can't cut keys if all keys have been lost. He said the BCM is limited on the number of keys. I don't recall if he said if 3 could be added aftermarket, or a total of 3 (one extra). I think the reason he can't cut is that an existing key (for non-dealers) must be used to pull the programming codes.

He simply could not cut a 3rd key for my '18. Apparently the programming had changed, or maybe the FOB. (I didn't ask.)

·
Registered
976 Posts
One of the laughable things about any serious probing on this is that these Fiat dealerships don't know their backsides from their elbows when it comes to pricing.

These dealership guys, including a lot of their service departments, act like they're skedaddling tomorrow. I don't believe that. I don't think they can get away with that legally. I know I'm thumping my chest here, so go ahead and deflate me if I'm wrong. But from what I've seen in working this problem, I think they're going to have to come through with prices that are sane.
Consumer Reports did a good article on key replacement cost. For true "keyless" entry, it can cost $600 and up. The factory cost of a Fiat unprogrammed transmitter is $169. Add 20% dealer markup, plus the cost of cutting the key, plus 1/2 to 1 hour to program. Online you can buy that same key for around $110 from a dealer... $43 from 2012 - 2016 Fiat 500 Remote Flip Key 4B FCC# LTQFI2AM433TX

I think the few remaining studios might disappear soon. I don't expect my FCA dealer to drop his Fiat logo so long as the 500L and X are for sale... and will continue to service Fiats until parts are no longer available. (They also carry the Fiat based Jeeps.) The last time Fiat fled the US, parts were difficult to find, but not impossible, but dealers closed their doors over night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Boy.
Now, that I'm in this soup, I hope that doesn't happen.
Where are you located? Do you think that will make any difference?
What do you think of my general premise, that there's an element of bluff here? Apparently, not much, but I'd like to know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Consumer Reports did a good article on key replacement cost. For true "keyless" entry, it can cost $600 and up. The factory cost of a Fiat unprogrammed transmitter is $169. Add 20% dealer markup, plus the cost of cutting the key, plus 1/2 to 1 hour to program. Online you can buy that same key for around $110 from a dealer... $43 from 2012 - 2016 Fiat 500 Remote Flip Key 4B FCC# LTQFI2AM433TX
I have AlfaOBD and there is key programming ability in the software.

I have attempted to program a 3rd key once before, but was unsuccessful. I had purchased a knock-off key from a China on eBay, but the car said the key encoding was incorrect. So therefore I am hesitant to try again.

The keys in stock at Locksmith Keyless (the link you provided for $43 keys) are listed as "New (ILCO)". I am assuming it is an aftermarket key. I sent Locksmith Keyless an email asking for their customer success rates with this key before I spend $43 purchasing it. I hope to hear back from them.

I wasn't able to find an online link for a Fiat OEM key for $110. I would be ever grateful if you could post a link for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sudaval, you are correct that some service centers will take all they can. I use a "trust but verify" system, especially for stuff like this, but my dealer usually has fair pricing. They do charge about 20% more than other locations, but they also keep track of all work done. That's nice when a part fails a year (or 8) down the road.

abenusa, when programming with AlfaOBD, it's a good idea to have a trickle charger on the battery. I don't know why, but the computer needs a full battery charge and peak voltage. (That's from guys who know the system better than I do.)

You can Google "Fiat 500 68091228AD". (I think that's the correct part #.) $110 is from Athens Dodge, but you would need to call to verify fitment, naturally. I'm sure they could give you the proper parts number, or call Fiat's national parts line. As you say, several countries make these replacements.

Don't buy a used key. As I understand it, they can't be reprogrammed, like we could in the "old" days.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
...do not break or lose your last key. A Fiat with the alarm activated and no valid key will melt the BCM... I'd likely bypass all the security by embedding the last working fob in the car and driving and locking the car with non transponder keys.
1) Can you avoid BCM melting by disconnecting the 12V battery?

2) Does anyone know how close the transponder needs to be, in order to start the car with a non-transponder key? For example, could it be hidden under the hood, or in the back of the hatch?

·
Registered
236 Posts
1) Can you avoid BCM melting by disconnecting the 12V battery?
Sort of a catch-22. If you are outside the car with it locked and the alarm armed and no valid key, there's no easy way to get into the car to get the hood latch to disable the 12V battery. Any opening of any door while the alarm is armed will cause the failure. I'm not sure if there's a window between activation and disabling the 12V that will save the BCM.
2) Does anyone know how close the transponder needs to be, in order to start the car with a non-transponder key? For example, could it be hidden under the hood, or in the back of the hatch?
The transponder needs to be within a few cm of the transponder reading ring that's mounted around the ignition. And any key that starts the car has to have a transponder with it. It's possible to mount a transponder near the ring, then a non-transponder key can be used to start the car. It's one solution to the single key problem. But be careful. I made an attempt at this and broke off the antenna on the transponder causing it to fail. Ended up transplanting the authorized chip onto a board for a used key. Finally abandoned the effort and ended up getting a second key from the dealer. If anyone is thinking about going this route, plan to mount the entire transponder board with everything intact.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,236 Posts
Thanks.

1) I meant get a cheap non-transponder copy made just in case, so that after loosing your only transponder, you could open the door with the copy, alarm sounds, pop hood, disconnect 12V. Still possible BCM destruction?

2) In this scenario with one remaining transponder key, I guess you could just USE that one to start & drive, then always use cheap non-transponder keys to lock it in the car, hidden in the glovebox, under a cup in a holder, under a seat or mat, etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks.

1) I meant get a cheap non-transponder copy made just in case, so that after loosing your only transponder, you could open the door with the copy, alarm sounds, pop hood, disconnect 12V. Still possible BCM destruction?
That's what I'm unsure of. Still stuck though because the car will never be started again without an authorized key and one has to have an authorized key in order to program new keys into the BCM.
2) In this scenario with one remaining transponder key, I guess you could just USE that one to start & drive, then always use cheap non-transponder keys to lock it in the car, hidden in the glovebox, under a cup in a holder, under a seat or mat, etc, etc, etc...
I did that for a while before I got my second key. One advantage is that locking the car using a key doesn't activate the alarm system. But what I really was talking about was essentially permanently mounting the remaining authorized key in the car, then only using non transponder keys to turn the ignition and lock the car. This loses all alarm protection and makes the car more susceptable to theft. But a permanently mounted transponder is much less likely to be lost and non-transponder keys cost one tenth the price of properly programmed transponder ones.

ga2500ev

1 - 20 of 58 Posts