Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just recently I needed to replace a key. $300 CAD post tax. It took a while to arrive (it arrives precut and from what I understand, pre-programmed), but then the shop "programmed" it in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's exactly as I described. You will have to get a new Body Control Module installed and have 2 new keys cut. $1400 is about the right price for that service from the dealer.

This is why I posted the warning to never activate the alarm with the last key. The damage is catastrophic when the last key is lost.

While I understand the frustration of the payout, it is a security measure designed to make the car inoperable on theft without a valid key.

Search through "Fiat all keys lost." and you'll see the same discussion over and over. The BCM must be replaced and only the dealer can do it.

I hope you can get your situation resolved.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just recently I needed to replace a key. $300 CAD post tax. It took a while to arrive (it arrives precut and from what I understand, pre-programmed), but then the shop "programmed" it in 15 minutes.
Was your last key lost? All authorized keys lost and alarm activated is a completely different situation than just getting another key.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, my key was lost (I still had a spare though). The shop only neeeded my VIN to order a new one.
Then you are not in the same situation. If the alarm is set off and there are zero authorized keys, then the BCM is shut down. Since you had a spare you have an authorized key. When FIAT programmed your new key, I guarantee the first thing they asked you for was that authorized spare key.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, it might be the case. However how does the system know that there are zero authorized keys?

If the manufacturer knows the code to BCM, they can produce a new electronic key just like they precut the key before shipping.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, it might be the case. However how does the system know that there are zero authorized keys?

If the manufacturer knows the code to BCM, they can produce a new electronic key just like they precut the key before shipping.
If the BCM is alarm activated, it will not respond to a new key request unless there is an already authorized key even if the new key introduced is properly precoded.

To answer your question during the key learning process, the BCM ask the tech to insert an authorized key. Without one, the process will not proceed.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
This seems to be a very important lesson, learned the really expensive way by some. ga2500ev or anyone else please correct any of the following:

If at any time you are down to only one transponder key & you don't get a backup for about $380, losing that last key will cost about $1400 + towing to a dealership.

To avoid those costs you could get 1 or more cheap non-transponder copies, glue the transponder key inside the steering column cover, & use the cheap copy to lock/unlock/start. The alarm won't arm, & it would be possible to hotwire, but a thief won't know that, so they'll probably already be prepared to just slim-jim & tow it (normally needing to pop the hood to yank a 12v terminal to shut off the alarm).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got it. I was under an impression that the key arrives pre-programmed and pre-bound, and the tech just bills his 15 minutes checking if it works.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wrote below on an other topic, but figured this topic had more posts so i put it here as well.

Well, yesterday i went to the local (dutch) Fiat dealer, and they said they couldnt help me because its a usa car, and they wont service it. Bummer.

After that i went to a locksmith who claimed he could do it, but when i arrived, he was only able to cut the key, and program the ignition (un)lock, not the remote. He forwarded me to an other local locksmith with way more capabilities. We chit-chat, looked if he had a key, and decided to do this tomorrow as it was already after closing time.

Today i went there, and he had the correct key he stated. He looked at the car computer to take a look at the model. (it was a Delfi?)
He cut the key, and connected his programming machine to the ODB2 connector.
Many data came out, only 2 keys were programmed into the car, serials were shown ( i have only one), passcode was read, etcetera. He tried to program the key, but only managed to get the start unlock programmed, not the remote itself. He had several other nifty equepment to read frequency of keys etcetera, but my key apparently didnt give any frequency.
Then, he read my keu, and it was a PCF7946 chip, just like his key.
Mode was Locked Manchester (whatever that means)
Type: HT AG2 CRYPTO WK type 2
The id i wont write down :)
Computer he used was a ZED-FULL Immobiliser Solutions

At the end, he said he needed to figure some things out why it doesnt work, and will call me next week.
In advance to this; is there anyone that might know what to do to program this remote?
I saw several options available, also pre-coding etcetera, wich he did. (guess it doesnt work at all if he didnt...)
he also stated that the other locksmith only copied current keys, and he was able to program keys instead of copying.

Any tips or advices are highly welcome, thank you.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
It's exactly as I described. You will have to get a new Body Control Module installed and have 2 new keys cut. $1400 is about the right price for that service from the dealer.

This is why I posted the warning to never activate the alarm with the last key. The damage is catastrophic when the last key is lost.

While I understand the frustration of the payout, it is a security measure designed to make the car inoperable on theft without a valid key.

Search through "Fiat all keys lost." and you'll see the same discussion over and over. The BCM must be replaced and only the dealer can do it.

I hope you can get your situation resolved.

ga2500ev
Early Toyota's transponder keys were the same thing on 99-2004 models with those type of keys, you lose the last "master" key the main ECU had to be replaced and the car rekeyed at a tune of $1500+ now i dont know any sane person who would pay that for a old Toyota.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Well there ARE some classic Toyotas that might be worth it, like maybe a 2001 MR2 Spyder. I wonder why Fiat is still using a system that Toyota dumped 15 years ago.

My friend's new Hyundai came with an extra little fob attached to the key, with a scanner code, but probably also a transponder. The salesman said do NOT lose it, or it would be VERY expensive to get a replacement key!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
Well there ARE some classic Toyotas that might be worth it, like maybe a 2001 MR2 Spyder. I wonder why Fiat is still using a system that Toyota dumped 15 years ago.

My friend's new Hyundai came with an extra little fob attached to the key, with a scanner code, but probably also a transponder. The salesman said do NOT lose it, or it would be VERY expensive to get a replacement key!
That’s just a key code from what I hear from the parts guys at Hyundai near us. It is nothing transponder related.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
So if the little paper scanner code sticker wears off you're screwed!? That seemed so crazy that I figured it must have a chip in the plastic.

Anyway, in the realm of "misery loves company", it's nice to know it's not just Fiat that can be a pain if you lose a key.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So if the little paper scanner code sticker wears off you're screwed!? That seemed so crazy that I figured it must have a chip in the plastic.
No that’s just a “dog tag” that has detailed information on key codes on the locks. Toyota has the same thing except it’s in plain English numbers instead of a QR code . It doesn’t contain anything that related to the transponder though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’m just baffled there isn’t an any higher security set ups that you can’t lose easily like your fingers if smart phones have them why can’t they implement them in cars they still have not and we are in 2020. It would be cool to just use a touchID on the door handles and a plate on dash and drive off.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
With Tesla, your phone's bluetooth can be your key for unlocking & then pushbutton starting. I think some models have or are working on facial recognition unlocking.

What I meant about Hyundai was that since it's crazy to be screwed by a little paper tag wearing off, I figured the plastic it was stuck to had a chip in it, that could be scanned to make a replacement transponder key.

·
Registered
719 Posts
With Tesla, your phone's bluetooth can be your key for unlocking & then pushbutton starting. I think some models have or are working on facial recognition unlocking.

What I meant about Hyundai was that since it's crazy to be screwed by a little paper tag wearing off, I figured the plastic it was stuck to had a chip in it, that could be scanned to make a replacement transponder key.
That’s may not be true, when I worked and Nissan and now Toyota there is a database that has recorded key codes on most all cars made from 80s up. I can still retrieve key codes on 1988 Toyota’s from people who had wore out keys. When I was at Nissan my 1990 300ZX database was also still there and at that time the car was already 22yrs old.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts