Fiat 500 Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just went thru this.
Ordered a replacement key & fob from the local locksmith. $175 with programming.
Local guy couldn't program it, said take it to the dealer.
Dealer tried for an hour and said bad blank.
Dealer said Chrysler must cut key so they ordered one. Now waiting for
appointment.
Locksmith refunded entire amount.
The saga continues.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, generally it "has" to be a Fiat dealer. In your case, I'd price at your lock smiths first. I checked.

We have 3 lock smiths locally that can make an additional key. IIRC, "my guy" charges $120 for the key, plus $60 for programming... you can save ordering the key from Amazon. Those keys claim (and look) to be Mopar, but one is never sure.

He can't cut keys if all keys have been lost. He said the BCM is limited on the number of keys. I don't recall if he said if 3 could be added aftermarket, or a total of 3 (one extra). I think the reason he can't cut is that an existing key (for non-dealers) must be used to pull the programming codes.

He simply could not cut a 3rd key for my '18. Apparently the programming had changed, or maybe the FOB. (I didn't ask.)
I spend nearly a week sweating out the loss of my single Abarth Key but did find it. Checked with the dealer about making a backup. Got a lot of negative attitude (Criswell in Gaithersburg, Md) and was basically told it would cost at least $500.00 plus. (plus what?) Gawd help me if I ever lose this key again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a new owner, a 2017 500e with 32k miles. Love the EV aspect of the car, took a look at the Spark but the Fiat won me over. Glad I didn't buy the Leaf, thank you to this forum discussion about the battery thermal management. Anyhow, my question is, if you order a new key from a Fiat dealer, does the old key become useless? Do you need to order 2 keys at the same time? Also, do they send a completely new key and keyfob?

I have 2 keys but one is very worn out and I'd like to replace it with a brand new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a new owner, a 2017 500e with 32k miles. Love the EV aspect of the car, took a look at the Spark but the Fiat won me over. Glad I didn't buy the Leaf, thank you to this forum discussion about the battery thermal management. Anyhow, my question is, if you order a new key from a Fiat dealer, does the old key become useless? Do you need to order 2 keys at the same time? Also, do they send a completely new key and keyfob?

I have 2 keys but one is very worn out and I'd like to replace it with a brand new one.
Just got a new key from the dealer.
Wanted a spare key since I had only one. Other than it took two weeks to get it,
it went smoothly. Took about 45 minutes to program it, most of that was wait time.
I had purchased a aftermarket key/fob which would not program.
Buyer beware.

·
Registered
335 Posts

I believe it's possible to have up to 3 authorized keys. Keys that are precoded to the 500e can be reused. When introducing a new key, I know that at least one already authorized key must be present. It may also be necessary to have all keys that you want authorized present too. I would suggest ordering 1 new key, then bringing both existing keys when the new key comes in.

Yes it's a completely new key and keyfob. Even though the other key is worn out, with the expense and hassle to get a new key, I would strongly suggest keeping the worn out one as a spare when the new key comes in.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got a new key from the dealer.
Wanted a spare key since I had only one. Other than it took two weeks to get it,
it went smoothly. Took about 45 minutes to program it, most of that was wait time.
I had purchased a aftermarket key/fob which would not program.
Buyer beware.
norton, where was the dealer you bought your new key from? how did you contact them? did you send in your old key? Sounds like you went in to the dealer and waited 45 minutes for them to program a new key. What did you do with your aftermarket key/keyfob that didn't work? Thanks in prior!

·
Registered
5 Posts
norton, where was the dealer you bought your new key from? how did you contact them? did you send in your old key? Sounds like you went in to the dealer and waited 45 minutes for them to program a new key. What did you do with your aftermarket key/keyfob that didn't work? Thanks in prior!
The dealer is in the Detroit area.
The first key was ordered from local locksmith who couldn't program it after numerous attempts.
Then contacted local Alfa/Chrysler dealer. Took the locksmith supplied key and car.
They could not program the supplied key, said bad blank. I ordered new blank from them. It came cut from Chrysler. The key is cut by VIN number is what I was told. The dealer does the actual computer magic.
The 1st key was returned for a refund.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts