Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally I am delighted with my 3 month old 500e Prima but it does have a few quirks. I am guessing most of these are new car bugs as the car is still very new in production and hopefully Fiat will be fixing them with an upgrade at some point.

I'd be interested to know if other owners are experiencing anything similar or have noticed idiosyncrasies with their cars. Here are a few of mine:

• Very often the car does not start the first time you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. A second press is required to bring up "Vehicle is ready to drive"
  • The front brakes squeak as they are applied electrically.
  • The Front Collision Warning function randomly deactivates. (A potentially serious safety issue).
  • My UK car will swap from miles to kilometre measurements for no apparent reason. Now there's a bug!
  • Often it refuses to recognise a command to start Android Auto. Apple Car Play seems to work ok.
  • Short of actually running somebody over, I have been unable to demonstrate the Pedestrian Acoustic Warning System.
Don't know how big the community of 500e owners is yet but it would be good to know if others are sharing my experiences.

·
Registered
2021 Fiat 500e La Prima, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
180 Posts
Generally I am delighted with my 3 month old 500e Prima but it does have a few quirks. I am guessing most of these are new car bugs as the car is still very new in production and hopefully Fiat will be fixing them with an upgrade at some point.

I'd be interested to know if other owners are experiencing anything similar or have noticed idiosyncrasies with their cars. Here are a few of mine:

• Very often the car does not start the first time you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. A second press is required to bring up "Vehicle is ready to drive"
    • Not noticed this, but it might just be a question of how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal?
    • No
  • The Front Collision Warning function randomly deactivates. (A potentially serious safety issue).
    • Often either a dirty or snowy windscreen and most often driving towards a low sun. Sorts itself out if you turn away from the sun
  • My UK car will swap from miles to kilometre measurements for no apparent reason. Now there's a bug!
    • Yes
  • Often it refuses to recognise a command to start Android Auto. Apple Car Play seems to work ok.
    • I'm an iPhone user. No problem
  • Short of actually running somebody over, I have been unable to demonstrate the Pedestrian Acoustic Warning System.
    • I don't think the audible warning is triggered by the proximity of a pedestrian. It is barely audible from inside the car. Mine comes on sometimes when I'm doing 10-15 mph, but not otherwise.
Don't know how big the community of 500e owners is yet but it would be good to know if others are sharing my experiences.
I got my La Prima in late April. Some of your observations apply to me too. See annotations above.
Biggest problem I had was the speed limit sign recognition, but this was solved by a software update in the summer.
Pleased to compare experiences with other 500e users, notably charging experiences. I'm in Gloucestershire.

·
Registered
2021 500e HB La Prima
2 Posts
    • Seems that sometimes I need to double-press the Start button - can't determine whether there's a pattern as to when this occurs
    • No. We do, however, always drive in 'Range' mode
    • Yes, as AndyBowden stated only during inclement weather
    • No such problem here, only kilometers
    • Haven't experienced this (yet)
    • Haven't tested this (yet)
The following relates to my wife's 1½ month old 500e La Prima, which in almost all respects is a pleasure and joy to drive!

One - hopefully not major - problem appeared from day one. The large (central) display acts as if there's a loose connection: After a while it starts flickering erratically, with a simultaneous loss of audio. This goes on for some 5 minutes, followed by a period of totally dark screen. After a few minutes it seems to recover, only to possibly begin again. This behavior was at first very infrequent, but lately has been more common, with it being nearly full-time off the past few days.

Today the dealer is looking into this.

·
Registered
2021 500e HB La Prima
2 Posts
An update regarding my display problem:

The dealer's workshop had the car in Friday, and informed me late afternoon that they couldn't remedy the problem, so they ordered a new radio. I take it that by "radio" they refer to the media control unit (or whatever term Stellantis uses for such a module). So I'll have to come in again in one or two week's time. I presume that it'll be a quick plug & play replacement, and that there aren't any other wiring problems. Also wondering why such a new component could fail after presumably passing QC, but I'm aware that digital components tend to either die early or live a long, trouble-free life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It needs to be a long press on the ignition button (a couple of seconds) - I've had mine for a few days and was similarly confused, until I read the manual!

Absolutely agree that Android Auto is super-quirky, but I've never seen it work seamlessly in any car that I've driven.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a La Prima. I've noticed the following...

If I open the car with the keyfob button it insists I put the key in the armrest cubby space to start the car. If I just use the keyless entry then I can have the key in my pocket to start the car.

When using android auto the clock disappears from to top of the display.

The autonomous driving in lane always seems to be a bit far to the left - always feels like cars and lorries are passed too close. Also, my car has tried to pull off the motorway at junctions instead of continuing in lane - quite alarming!

·
Registered
180 Posts
In my early La Prima, I've not experienced your issue with the key fob, wherever the key fob is in the car, it will start OK.
The lane keeping function is a real pain, I have it disabled always, otherwise I find it difficult to know who is steering the car me or it.

·
Registered
46 Posts

That start button one is the same with nearly all cars with a start button same with petrol ones....1 single press turns the screen etc on but the 2nd press is needed to fully start it....that's normal

·
Registered
46 Posts
It needs to be a long press on the ignition button (a couple of seconds) - I've had mine for a few days and was similarly confused, until I read the manual!

Absolutely agree that Android Auto is super-quirky, but I've never seen it work seamlessly in any car that I've driven.
Yeh it's the same in nearly all cars with a start stop button, was like it in my 2007 civic and it's like it in my current 2020 ds3 crossback, it's normal. It's basically like how older cars you use a key with you click it round once to start things up and fully rotate and click it for engine turn on

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my early La Prima, I've not experienced your issue with the key fob, wherever the key fob is in the car, it will start OK.
The lane keeping function is a real pain, I have it disabled always, otherwise I find it difficult to know who is steering the car me or it.
I hate lane keeping assist, my ds3 crossback has it and if I am driving in my small town it's ok as the white lines are not that visible and some roads don't even have them so it does not work but if I am heading somewhere else i turn it off. Oddly it's automatically on when I start the car. So I have to turn it off each time I start the car.

Also when I got the car I thought it had faults because where wheel kept turning and moving ...I assumed with the lane keeping assist light not being on the screen it was not active but in this car when It is turned off the icon is actually showing on the screen all the time.

My dad's Tuscan car the icon is only on the screen when it is turned on.

I am a nervy person and when the wheel first started pulling I crapped my self each time and nearly over steered thinking I was about to crash.

·
Registered
Fiat 500 e 3+1 ICON
8 Posts

Hello guys. Me and my wife own Icon 3+1 trim in Israel. This trim include small additional door in the right side of the car. Like BMW I3. This is the first country when fiat sell 500e (2021+) outside Europe. Already have 9000 km (about 5 k miles). I'd like to address to topic starter some comments and share my experience with the car.
  • Very often the car does not start the first time you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. A second press is required to bring up "Vehicle is ready to drive". Just push the button little bit longer.
  • The front brakes squeak as they are applied electrically. It will pass with the time. I am almost not listen the squeaks.
  • The Front Collision Warning function randomly deactivates. (A potentially serious safety issue). It compromised from several reasons: water or dust residue in sensor area, direct sunlight in front direction short and quick light change (like enter to tunnel)
  • My UK car will swap from miles to kilometer measurements for no apparent reason. Now there's a bug! It changeable via menu pretty easy.
  • Often it refuses to recognize a command to start Android Auto. Apple Car Play seems to work ok. I can't connect my android phone wirelessly but with cable it works fine. My wife's i-phone connect and work wirelessly perfect but sometimes lost connection. I learned to fix it by reset of infotainment system via menu.
  • Short of actually running somebody over, I have been unable to demonstrate the Pedestrian Acoustic Warning System. In my car the system activated for few seconds every time when i rich speed 10-15 km/h doesnt matter if i have pedestrian on my way or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think this is down to the system, when you cancel an indication, giving you the 3 flashes which are intentionally given when a small non-latching movement of the lever is made. My guess is that the software is detecting the lever as being in the mid position as you manually return it to off.
I can't say I've noticed the issue, but I generally just leave the indicators to self-cancel after a turn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
La Prima owner since Oct 2021- love car but so many problems. About 1300 miles so far.
I've suffered all the above problems and many more. The sensors do not work properly in bright sunlight, fog, heavy rain - dealer agrees - no fix. Blind spot flashes on/off in fog.
Frequent error messages and functions not available, including Drive - message - "function not available."
SOS message sometimes appears - disabled.
Brakes creak when stopping, apparently have to wear in more! Alarmingly software has some control over this for regeneration function.
Headlamps come on when start car in low light - never go off - have to restart car in normal light levels then auto works. A problem because internal displays dim and unreadable.
Miles to Km switch for no reason. Odometer switch to temp - no reason.
Indicators flash after auto cancel - sometimes.
Pebble key left wife stranded - refused to unlock - Fiat + dealer agreed to new full key fob - only after so many problems collecting car and problems with car, otherwise £350 + labour to prog!
Touch screen - main functions on LHS should be on RHS for RHD cars! Main functions select ok otherwise takes several attempts on secondary functions, worse screen I have experienced.
Sign recognition eventually corrected itself.
Car returned to dealer and software updates have solved 75% of problems but some remain and new ones appearing. Car does not like cold weather. kept in garage and this morning loud clicking noise from front when reverse selected and fan under bonnet going flat our - also turned windscreen fan to max without being selected. After several power up/downs seems ok.
I could go on.... Its clear there are many software bugs which Fiat are failing to correct. Many are intermittent so difficult to show. Update over air - maybe, but yet to see one. Dealers as yet do not have sufficient knowledge to fix and I was showing them how some things work
Its very disappointing as car is ideal for us as a second car and normally I can get things to work by powering up/down several times but I see one owner review on Auto Trader has had enough and they are selling.
And don't get me started on Uconnect - its impossible to get rid of it once activated.
Handbook - basic guide with car, covers about 15% of functions. You can download 500 page guide from Uconnect but only to phone or watch! Fortunately having a software background I was able to download to my desktop iMac. Tries as most do to cover all models/functions but has many errors.
Breakdown tel number is an international freephone, but not all mobiles are free. Not free from all landlines either even BT had never heard of it and couldn't decide if free.
I will persevere with the car and will try and get Fiat to recognise many of the issues we are all experiencing - in the meantime suggest we all keep complaining to our dealer

·
Registered
180 Posts
Over 6,000 miles in my LaPrima over 10 months, whilst I've had some of the issues like miles change to km and collision warning and cruise control is unavailable in low angle sunlight, but nothing which I regard as serious nor detracting from enjoyment of the car.
The car went back to the dealer in August for a day to get a software upgrade to solve the speed limit detection problems. Otherwise no trips to the dealer.
12 month service is due at the end of April, I've not got any problems which the dealer will need to investigate. I expect there will be some software updates. With luck the readout will stay in miles from then on.

Perhaps, I've just been lucky. I've not driven in fog yet, that might be a factor..

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,213 Posts
I read fairly recently that modern humidity sensors aren't much better than the extremely problematic one in the 1st-gen 500e, so the 2nd-gen's sensor may be causing some of the problems. Based on my own experience with the 1st-gen, & lots of user reports, if I was @Ninja I would try leaving the humidity sensor unplugged, like I do in my 2013.

I know the cars are VERY different, but this may be one of the similarities. In the 1st-gen the humidity sensor frequently gives a false-positive signal, which deactivates recirculate, & turns on the A/C compressor without even lighting the A/C indicator. The sensor's only function is to self-activate defrost, when HVAC is in automatic mode, which may have been what happened this morning to @Ninja

Apparently cars run a sensor check at startup, & if it takes too long it can cause an error in many different systems. In the 1st-gen 500e, users have reported failures &/or warnings including ABS, airbags, cruise control, ESC, hill start, PRND, & regen. Unplugging the humidity sensor stopped the errors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In the 1st-gen the humidity sensor frequently gives a false-positive signal, which deactivates recirculate,
That might explain the difference between @Ninja's experiences and mine. I never have mine on recirculate and almost always leave A/C in auto.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,213 Posts
I don't understand. It seems to me that @Ninja had HVAC in auto mode, since I'm pretty sure that's the only way defrost can activate itself (in this case, likely from a false-positive humidity signal).

I never use auto mode, & every time I had a false-positive it just turned on the A/C compressor & switched off recirculate if I had it on, & even switched it off if I turned it back on again.

I should mention that in every report that I've seen of the humidity sensor causing random errors, nobody mentioned the defrost activating itself erroneously. In other words, the sensor might be able to cause errors even it it's not sending false-positive signals.

Also vice-versa: It would appear that the vast majority of 1st-gen 500Es have been error free even with the sensor connected, regardless of whether it's self-activating the compressor. Many people wouldn't notice that. It took me quite a while to notice, since it didn't light the A/C button, & it's tough to hear the compressor when driving, especially with music on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I should clarify that we don't ever have the HVAC on auto. When the car was started yesterday it automatically turned on the a/c and max defrost which I didn't notice at first, it was when we started the car the second time and the clicking noise and fans started that we spotted it and turned it off. Tend to have minimum heat to screen only and use heated seats as apparently less drain on battery.
It would be disappointing if it is the humidity sensor and its carried over from 1st gen cars, would have expected Fiat to recognise this. I will certainly raise this when the car goes in again, in the meantime anyone know where the humidity sensor is located on 2nd gen cars?

Has anyone else noticed with HVAC in manual mode you cannot select heat to screen and face, screen and feet yes, face and feet yes...strange.
Also if you select certain functions in split screen home pages ( 2 or 3 split) that they don't always work if in more than one split screen page?
I find every time I play with the car the more quirks/ issues I find so perhaps need to stop doing this!
What does work extremely well is ACC. I use it on A roads and its almost as efficient as driving manually. Likewise the speed camera warnings and countdown are very accurate especially on average speed areas and showing the average speed in real time is very clever.
Currently experimenting with "range" v "normal" modes to see what gives best economy and will post findings and perhaps start poll to see what others finding. So far on A roads and B roads ( in Cornwall with lots of hills) and little city/traffic driving "normal" is just ahead.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts