Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finally got a call from Fiat customer care. Long call but to summarise - have to take the car to the dealer when the problems are present. Pointed out a number or reasons why this is not sensible:
Some are intermittent and therefore cannot guarantee they will present themselves or that stop/starting the car clears some of them
Have to book the car in which can be several days ( or weeks if loan car required) - so have to run with all the wrong settings: Kmh - not a good idea
Dealer technicians are not even familiar with how the car operates and its many functions so how can they be expected to fix them.
Explained many others, inc motoring journalist - long term test Autocar, experiencing some of the same issues - not interested.
Cannot tell me when/if Fiat will be issuing any/next software update.
Bottom line is not interested - its for the dealer to resolve.

Andy, would be very interested to know your software version following recent service.

All very disappointing as it goes well, is fun and meets our requirements - BUT its making think do I really want to keep the car and the hassle of trying to resolve the many problems.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,469 Posts
Yes, very disappointing.

However, one or more of your problems may be pretty easy to resolve yourself, even though you really shouldn't have to:

You say you don't use HVAC's "auto" setting, & neither do I, so if I had your car I'd find the humidity sensor somewhere on or very near the windshield. I'd leave it disconnected, & then disconnect the 12V starter battery's negative terminal for as long as convenient, 30 seconds or 30 hours, if possible, maybe on a weekend.

That might clear up one or more of your issues. My 1st-gen 500e once got "infected" so bad by a public charger that it activated ABS every time I braked below 7mph, but even that was permanently cured by a 30-second 12V disconnect. A different public charger once infected it with a charging fault that was cured by simply plugging into the OEM cord.

The auto headlight issue might be avoided by simply always leaving them "on". I do that because it's a bit less likely for other drivers to not see my tiny car. The lights turn off when I turn the car off, & all I ever do manually sometimes is set the instrument dimmer low at night & then back up in sun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Generally I am delighted with my 3 month old 500e Prima but it does have a few quirks. I am guessing most of these are new car bugs as the car is still very new in production and hopefully Fiat will be fixing them with an upgrade at some point.

I'd be interested to know if other owners are experiencing anything similar or have noticed idiosyncrasies with their cars. Here are a few of mine:

• Very often the car does not start the first time you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. A second press is required to bring up "Vehicle is ready to drive"
  • The front brakes squeak as they are applied electrically.
  • The Front Collision Warning function randomly deactivates. (A potentially serious safety issue).
  • My UK car will swap from miles to kilometre measurements for no apparent reason. Now there's a bug!
  • Often it refuses to recognise a command to start Android Auto. Apple Car Play seems to work ok.
  • Short of actually running somebody over, I have been unable to demonstrate the Pedestrian Acoustic Warning System.
Don't know how big the community of 500e owners is yet but it would be good to know if others are sharing my experiences.
Ho Hum, some of the above is familiar but something I have noticed is that if the sun is low in the sky (early morning, late evening) and you're driving towards it the AEB system can't see so deactivates. It does this on my landcover discovery in certain light conditions as well. A bit like you being blinded driving into the sun probably. I've had my car since mid Nov 2021 now after 2500 miles there's no real squeaks at all, but boy did it take a long time to bed in or what!!!! Starting I have the same issue but as others have said you can't stab the button but have to push and hold momentarily... (the LR is the same). Android auto sucked, changed to an iPhone 😂.

My other main beef is the absolutely crap app that reports correctly in km but not miles, doesn't update properly and randomly resets itself. Sent numerous screenshots and exact what happened when emails to Fiat and to be fair they do respond and ring from Italy.... currently waiting for a new version that's supposed to be dropping soon.

All that said it is a really nice car to drive, pretty to look at and generally fun, does > 160miles on a charge (not gone in to enforced sherpa mode yet) and makes a good second car/run around and cost naff all to run compared to the diesel LR (it does 40ish mpg). I'm sure much will change between now and the time to change (Only car I've ever got on PCP!!!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car is 8 months old and just reached 2000 miles, braking squeaks still present but they have become a little quieter. Interesting with weather improvement ( less humidity maybe) in last 2 months I am seeing far fewer resets of functions even with lots of low level sun in the mornings. Also fewer warning messages although sos warning symbol appeared a few days ago and hung around for the day - ok next day.

SW version is FCA-MY21.R17P.2-PROD so no updates in last 4/5 months. Would be interested to know if anyone has a later SW version

·
Registered
2021 Fiat 500e La Prima, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
219 Posts
SW version is FCA-MY21.R17P.2-PROD so no updates in last 4/5 months. Would be interested to know if anyone has a later SW version
Mine is FCA-MY21.R17.16-PROD which leaves me unaware which of us has the later version.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is FCA-MY21.R17P.2-PROD and I didn't have any update since I bought it on the 29 of March

What else I encounter:
  • no possibility to create new profiles, just one
  • energy usage widget doesn't always refresh, showing unactual data
  • problems with authorized Type 2 charging, especially when I was in Munich. the free charges and CCS working fine
  • assistance button neither doesn't work nor they just don't want to talk with me
  • I lost the touch screen sensor after driving for about 6-8h. restart didn't help. but the next day it was working as before

·
Registered
59 Posts
So far as I can see we have between us 3 different software versions:
R17P.2
R17.16
R17.101
Impossible to make any sense from these. Will raise a new thread to ask for as many people as possible to supply their version.

Checked profiles on my car, can't see anyway to have more than one. So pretty pointless, thought it might be allocated to a second key but it appears not.

Also wondering if setting a profile has any effect on the resetting of functions. Anyone not set a profile and still experiencing these resetting bugs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had just been planning to report that after 5 weeks, with the exception of one minor display bug, my car was behaving itself but today it once again reverted to resetting and changing nearly all my personal settings. It started when locking the car with the fob a couple of seconds later the horn activated for 3-4 secs. Discovered the drivers door hadn't shut as the seatbelt had failed to retract (a freq problem). Shut door and locked it and the car beeped - a function I had disabled. Checked setting - still disabled. Drive car home all good. Set off again to find Kmh and many settings changed - too many to list but included many of the safety features and most annoyingly the charge rate setting. Bizarre after 5 weeks with no problems! Display bug is the EV half page showing car (red/blue) with +/- Kw when driving - it works about 50% of the time, freezing when starting off or while driving. Car now coming up to 8 months old and had hoped when it it goes in for a service in 4 months time that Fiat might have corrected many of the errors/resets by then - its disappointing to read that these are problems still being found with new cars recently delivered and some new problems are emerging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What I forgot to add under my last comment is that we continue to enjoy the car, its proving very economical ( 5.3m/kwh over last 2300 miles) and has not broken down! Just wish Fiat would get on board and fix all the bugs which should not be difficult ( ex sys/sw/hw - engineer).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has just turned 3 months, and I have driven already 10kkm. So looks like a 15kkm service will come first than a year since I bought it :D
But AFAIK, they will do nothing with it during the service. They will just advise me to wait for an auto-update (auto update, sounds pretty accurate ;)) Anyways, we'll see within a month or two

·
Registered
1 Posts
A new minor problem this morning. I got 'Sound System Unavailable' and an orange loudspeaker symbol with an exclamation mark displayed. Also speed limits were completely wrong.
Nothing obviously wrong otherwise and radio was working fine.
Drove 20 uneventful miles though the warning symbol stayed on. Parked the car. Started for the return journey everything back to normal
I've just had the same "Sound System Unavailable" error with our new Fiat 500 La Prima. Parked the car and restarted, but the error is still showing. Hopefully it will disappear soon, but will report the issue with the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've just had the same "Sound System Unavailable" error with our new Fiat 500 La Prima. Parked the car and restarted, but the error is still showing. Hopefully it will disappear soon, but will report the issue with the dealer.
I had the same experience about three weeks ago. The radio was playing at the time so I ignored it. After a brief stop with the car locked when I returned the warning had gone.

·
Registered
500 La Prima (Sept 21)
18 Posts
I believe this message relates to the pedestrian warning sound, not the infotainment system.
On what do you base this belief? The Pedestrian Acoustic Warning System (PAWS) has its own warning light.

I had the Sound System Unavailable message some time ago. The PAWS still worked. According to Fiat Customer Service at the time, the Sound System:

... refers to the Sound system with amplifier for Music and other features. The mobile phone audio is transmitted through the car’s sound system; the system automatically mutes the Uconnect™ system audio when the Phone function is used. When there is an ASSIST call, the call will be made through the car sound system to provide any additional information about the assistance request.
The radio worked, so it was not that. That left the phone function (no linked phone, so unlikely) or the ASSIST call. Never did determine the true cause. Not had the warning since. I suspect, but cannot prove it, that the 4G network that the ASSIST uses had a local outage.

Remember this is a just warning message, not a fault indicator. Obviously, if it persists then then contact a dealer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
[QUOTE="Fiat Cymreig, post: 1316163, member: 118207"
The radio worked, so it was not that. That left the phone function (no linked phone, so unlikely) or the ASSIST call. Never did determine the true cause. Not had the warning since. I suspect, but cannot prove it, that the 4G network that the ASSIST uses had a local outage.

Remember this is a just warning message, not a fault indicator. Obviously, if it persists then then contact a dealer.
[/QUOTE]
On the basis of the reports which I've read, this warning is not accompanied by any symptoms. So it would seem to be a false alarm or a 4G outage, as @Fiat Cymreig suggests, or an effect of lack of coverage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello there.
I also own a 3+1 Icon 500e for almost 3 months (done 5k km with it). I've been reading about the bugs and I can confirm I do have all of these on my car as well. In addition, there are couple of others, as follows:

1. Radio: Sometimes when I play some music over carplay, it randomly starts to act weird, it loses sound and if I have a look on the phone, it looks like the video changes its playback speed. Have to manually do a "Reset Radio" and after that it is ok again. Sometimes it cannot connect to the phone and I never had it working with two phones simultaneously as advised in the settings.

2. Random error messages: today when I unplugged from MyWallBox, I got a "Service Charging System" red message which would not dissapear. Cycling the IGNition ON/OFF didn't worked this time to solve the issue but once I initiated a charging session for a couple of minutes, everything got back to normal, no error. Also got a lot of other sporadically errors: SOS not working, Sound system not working, AEB not working (and others) but these would fix by themselves after a drive cycle.

Most annoying bugs are really related to the Radio/Infotainment system. Sometimes after I plug the car to MyWallBox and there's a charging schedule active, the radio switches on by itself even if the car is locked (probably this is why some of you have issues with 12V battery).

Also, have any of you any luck on setting a Charge Schedule via PhoneApp? Even though it says that the operation is successful, it does not set the schedule, I have to manually do it in the car.

The car is scheduled for the SW Update next week, I will keep you posted, will try to get the "release notes / bugfixes" from the dealership.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only one of those issues I've had @culdaraul is that the radio can switch itself on when I plug the charger cable in. It goes off again of its own accord quite soon.
I can set a charging schedule via the app on my iPhone. Though I rarely do so as I prefer to set up a boost period on my Zappi charger during period of cheap electricity over night.

I've seen few effects of the software update in the month since it was done. The only apparent one is that the EV page doesn't vanish any more. The radio still comes on as the cable is connected.

My 12v battery went flat overnight when the charger cable wasn't connected.

I asked my dealer what the update was intended to solve and got the really helpful answer 'lots of things. It might solve the 12v battery problem'.

If you can get and post any release notes, it would be very informative.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts