Fiat 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on my second 500e - the first one started warning me that a car was in my offside blindspot when it was raining, and the dealer acknowledged that diagnosing and fixing this would potentially take weeks.
Add to this, both cars braking suddenly when in active cruise mode on the motorway, which scares the heck out of me. Infotainment system crashed on the first car, and took a number of resets before I could get it back to life, then link my phone, which then wouldn't reconnect multiple times., and the app wouldn't connect for days. Switched from Android to Apple, and is more consistent.
Wireless charging pad is almost useless for me - phone shifts slightly, and red light flashing. Phone overheats and red light flashing (both phones and both cars).
Replacement vehicle - parking sensor display has come on a couple of times while driving at speed as if I'm close to something. Feels to me as if the sensor system isn't quite right.
The range at 100% was always 161.1 miles (on app) and 161 on first car, but works out at about 180 in real life, tho I have to do the maths to get to that (by reviewing how many miles I've actually done vs remaining).
Replacement car (with software update) seems to be a bit better (tho only driven on one trip) giving me 182 miles at 100%, but then the range dropped from 180 to 160 in about five miles driving in Sherpa mode and using a lot of regen. I think the algorithms aren't the best (coming from an i3 that really got it spot on, and would always tell me the range based on the last driving type).
Both cars would not show anything other than calendar notifications from phone, but new car will show some if I enable announce messages (sometimes) but this means all my messages are read out by the car, which is not optimal.
CarPlay uses a different voice for reading messages than the one for responding to general commands, tho sounds similar - one is crackly and low fidelity and the other is much clearer and louder (had this issue on a Ford I owned, too).
A fair bit of flaky stuff going on, and some issues disconnecting charging cable when car not fully charged.
Passenger door got stuck, and wouldn't close; driver's door a bit loose and rattled over lumpy roads, on first car.

I think for me the random braking on the motorway (and occasional sudden lane departure) along with the autonomous driving mode turning off with no warning other than the icon going grey are the worrying things. I keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, but if a system is supposed to be assisting, it's kinda unsettling when it either stops without telling you or just does something that could cause the car behind to panic... once I had a police car behind me and it just braked at 65mph. Uncomfortable to say the least.
Anyhow, sharing this for others to see if they've had similar experience
Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Fiat 500e La Prima, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
219 Posts
You seem to have been very unlucky @Kevvie, or I've been lucky over my 14months ownership. Few of those things have happened to me. My sole significant problem was the 12V battery going flat.

I always have lane assistance off because I trust myself to steer the car more than I trust its computer to do so.

In auto cruise control, generally speed reductions occur when needed and gently, the exception is when a car pulls in front from the outside lane leaving little space ahead, then the braking can be abrupt (and unnecessary because the distance is increasing not reducing).

My iPhone did slide around on the charging pad, but changing the phone's cover to a less slippery one fixed things.

I nearly always drive in Range and I'm getting 3.8-4.2miles per kWh depending on driving style. The miles remaining indication does seem rather inaccurate, but the %age charge remaining seems OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello there,

Just got back from the dealer after the update.

They told me before handing-over the car that they do not have a specific list of what needs to be updated, it depends from model to model, if there are any updates available, they will update everything that it's outdated. Apparently FCA/Stellantis keep track of all the bugs discovered by customers and they fix these via the updates.

Specifically, on my car (bough in June, all modules were up to date in June), they updated 4 components: radio ( went from FCA-MY21.R17P.1-PROD to FCA-MY21-R17.101-PROD), BMS, ABS and Steering. No specific differences for now, will see if bugs will still pop-up.

I recall a guy told me that an earlier model sold last year (it was missing some important updates) left him stranded somewhere in the city because the car would not recognize the "start button" (after it activated the Uconnect app). He went back to the dealership on the platform and everything was fine after all the updates. I also had a lot of issues with activating uConnect at the beginning, it worked only after a radio factory reset.

edit: big improvements in traffic jams / slow city traffic. Now the car is much smoother when creeping through traffic. Big up here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just booked my car in for its first service on 3rd Oct- under a service plan. Dealer specified that it would take 2-3 hours and when asked about SW updates told none showing. When pressed they checked again and said 6475 was now showing and this would add at least another 3 hours and possibly longer! For an electric car theses times are absurd and I suspect they are still learning about the car and updates as mine was one of the first they sold. Confidence level is very low but what choice is there? No other dealership within a hundred miles.

Car has been behaving over the last 5-6 months with just the occasional reset - but its now being selective on what functions are reset rather than a "general" reset on all functions.

Will post again once service completed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update #2 after sw fixes: profile settings are still lost/messed up after a while. Car starts to honk when I lock it, consumption settings changes from kwh/100km to km/kwh, charge setting changes from 5(max) to 2. Weeeeird, I really hoped the radio update would fix this. Also, sometimes the Radio switches on after I plug the car and never turns off (eventually will turn off after 20mins, never tried).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Update #2 after sw fixes: profile settings are still lost/messed up after a while. Car starts to honk when I lock it, consumption settings changes from kwh/100km to km/kwh, charge setting changes from 5(max) to 2. Weeeeird, I really hoped the radio update would fix this. Also, sometimes the Radio switches on after I plug the car and never turns off (eventually will turn off after 20mins, never tried).
Odd. In the 4 weeks since my La Prima had all the updates of recall 6475, I've had no recurrence of those problems. Note that in my case, it was more than just the radio which was updated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Odd. In the 4 weeks since my La Prima had all the updates of recall 6475, I've had no recurrence of those problems. Note that in my case, it was more than just the radio which was updated.
Recall 6475 doesn’t fix mph reverting to kmph. For the first time since I had the update in July, yesterday I had the speed in kmph and horn beeped on locking. Email to customer care next.
My suspicion is that the effect arises after I have had the car on charge, perhaps due to a mains fluctuation. In all I’ve had the effect perhaps six times in 18months.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the warm weather my resets have dropped to 1-2 month, in the colder weather it was about 2-3 week. Had a reset yesterday, mph - kmph, horn on locking, charge 5 to 3 etc. The only change I made just prior to yesterdays reset was switching the driver display from trip A to normal ( ring for speed). Have been running with trip A for a while to see efficiency.

Strange they should happen so close time wise - possibly an over the air update causing this? My car goes in for 1st service and update in 2 weeks so disappointing to hear this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Strange they should happen so close time wise - possibly an over the air update causing this? My car goes in for 1st service and update in 2 weeks so disappointing to hear this.
No sign of me having had an OTA update recently. I haven't got car connected to my WiFi at the moment so any update would have to be via 4G.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Likewise, no wi-fi conn. But car is obviously connecting at some point as Uconnect (which I cannot stop/disable) provides monthly reports by email of the cars status and milage - which is accurate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the first time since I had the update in July, yesterday I had the speed in kmph and horn beeped on locking.
Just got my La Prima last Friday after having ordered in April. I spent ages tweaking settings to my liking. Do all these get reverted to default when the mph/kph issue occurs? I don't relish the thought of going through every item again!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
From all the posts on here it seems different cars react differently, some don't appear to suffer this problem, some very infrequently and others more so. The changes are not always consistent. I have experienced a single setting change like horn beeping on locking or the charge setting changing from 5 to 3 ( very annoying) to virtually every setting changing. Every time any change occurs I go through all the settings - its the only way to be sure. Unfortunately its something you get quite adept at.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use a Zappi charger capable of 7kW during the overnight low price period of Octopus Go on days with little sunshine and 3kw from the PV system when sunny and won't be changing from that approach. Root cause is a 'feature' of the car which Fiat might eliminate given time and effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since the "granny" cord will recharge about double the average daily drive or more, I advise using it, with a surge protector. I wonder if that would prevent this issue.
These issues are NOT related to the charging. Recently I've experienced this issue more often than I usually had, all of these occurrences happened without a single charge in between.

·
Registered
219 Posts
These issues are NOT related to the charging. Recently I've experienced this issue more often than I usually had, all of these occurrences happened without a single charge in between.
Useful information. Perhaps, OTA updates might be the cause then.
I wonder if an expedient workaround might be to use a pair of profiles with one in use and another in reserve holding one's desired settings. If only the current settings got corrupted and the profile wasn't, it might work.
I have the problem so rarely, any experiment wouldn't be productive for me in the short term.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Recall 6475 doesn’t fix mph reverting to kmph. For the first time since I had the update in July, yesterday I had the speed in kmph and horn beeped on locking. Email to customer care next.
My email to Fiat Customer Care resulted in a phone call from Italy asking me to take the car to a dealer.
Whilst I was sceptical that a workshop would ever find the fault as it is so infrequent, I did ring my dealer Pewsham Garage, who I've find to be very helpful in the past. Their technician thinks there might be a software update to the instrument panel which might fix it. It's booked in for the first week of October. I'll report progress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My email to Fiat Customer Care resulted in a phone call from Italy asking me to take the car to a dealer.
Whilst I was sceptical that a workshop would ever find the fault as it is so infrequent, I did ring my dealer Pewsham Garage, who I've find to be very helpful in the past. Their technician thinks there might be a software update to the instrument panel which might fix it. It's booked in for the first week of October. I'll report progress.
Fingers crossed for a result 🤞

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't get my head around how to freewheel down a slope... I have a sloping drive which the car is reversed into. When it comes to moving into the street I want to freewheel until the car is on the level. Currently if I put the car in D and gently press the accelerator, the car shoots forwards as hill-hold is released. My current workaround is to put the car in reverse and gently press the accelerator to release hill hold, and lo and behold, the car freewheels forward !!

61 - 80 of 99 Posts