Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am the proud new owner of a (used) 500e.

So far I am really enjoying it. I wish the range was a little longer, but it suits my needs for my commute.
The power at low speed is excellent, though the top speed is a bit disappointing, but I knew that going into it.

I built my own 30A L2 charger (using an openevse kit) and have had no issues with that so far.

I'm looking into getting a quick charge retrofit once that comes out from QC Charge in California.

I live in Oregon and bought mine from a local dealer for 9k.

Right after I bought it, (literally 2 days) it had an error come up requiring that the main HV battery be replaced, but that was covered under the warranty.

I have the paid alfaobd app and a reader so if there is any info anyone wants, I can pull it. Also, if anyone is in the clackamas area with another 500e that needs some help pulling data about their battery or something with alfaobd, i'd be happy to help on a weekend or something.

I've read through the spreadsheet that electrictireshredder made, and found lots of useful advice. I'm currently looking at some ECOPIA EP422 PLUS tires as my next set of tires. The fronts are pretty close to needing replacing, but the rears look fine. Any reason I should not replace only the front tires?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
That should be fine. However, if I recall correctly, ECOPIAs are "low rolling resistance", & if so, I strongly recommend not limiting your choices by that standard, since with plain all-seasons I get the exact same range as the stock tires, even though mine are 2 sizes wider, and also stickier (wet or dry, lateral or longitudinal). Maybe on a car this light, rolling resistance is already too low to be reduced very much.

I'm glad someone got something out of my spreadsheet. Thanks for letting me know. It's still a work in progress, & I didn't think of putting GOM tips on there until today! :oops:

Since all our HV batteries are still under the 8 year warranty, I'm sure I'm not the only one VERY interested in exactly what happened when "it had an error come up requiring that the main HV battery be replaced". Did the "check motor" light come on & then OBD show a code that translates as only "replace HV batt"? (I'm hoping).

Also a bit curious how it drove right before failing, AND curious how it failed (start failure, driving stall, etc.)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
215 Posts
I’ve replaced my original firestone craptastic LRR with Toyo T1R OE size for a little more grip and haven’t noticed any range drop and they stick way better then the original ones and better in wet then the firestone. Win win for me. They seem to run a little wider then the original even though it’s the same size so you get a little more rim protection from curbage so that’s nice.

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at the toyos.
I'll do a more thorough write up of the error later when I can reference my repair paperwork, but the short version would be this;
I test drove the car at the dealership, and the error came up saying "service electrical system". It didn't say anything more specific, and the dealer claimed it was an old code that they forgot to have cleared, so they cleared it.
After I drove it home, it drove fine and had no errors that day. Looking back, the range seemed to be around 70% of what it should have been. The next day I drove it to work, and it was fine. I took it out to get some lunch and the same generic error came back (service electrical system). This did not cause the car to behave any different, and did not go into "low power mode". I called the dealership and they asked me to bring it in as soon as I could, but that if it was still driving that I could safely drive it still. After work, the code was gone. (It stayed on continuously while I drove it over lunch)
The error lit up the car with an exclamation point on the dash.
I took it in and they seemed to think it would be a quick fix, but it took them 3 weeks to actually diagnose it. They told me over the phone that it was having some kind of "electrical current error" in the HV battery pack. I'm thinking maybe it was a dead cell? In the end they did not have techs there who were qualified to actually work on the HV battery so they just replaced it. It took over a month to get here but hey, now I have a brand new one. I pulled the milage over the OBD port and the battery was claiming about 100 miles when I got home from the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Hey!

I'm a fairly newish owner in Woodstock neighborhood not too far from Clackamas. I would love to take you up on running the alphaobd reader on my car. I don't really know what I am looking at but it would be cool to know a bit about the batteries' health and to check out your car. Mine is a 2013 I picked up about 6 months ago. Love the little thing. Let me know if you want to get together. Beers on me if you do that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to determine anything about battery health from OBD (except maybe a completely dead cell)

Everything I've seen anywhere on this forum (or links posted here) doesn't clearly indicate anything consistently.

There ARE at least 2 things left to try though, but both need others to respond for comparison. I posted one but nobody offered to help:

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJM19, sounds like a plan. PM me and we can work out a time. But like electric tire shredder said, the data isn't a good indicator of actual battery health. Though you can see other interesting data, such as how much power has gone through your battery in total, and other information.

• Electric tire shredder, I replied on your other post. I'll post data when I can over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
215 Posts
You guys in Oregon have it made so nice down there, I've done a number of trips there and I love it there. Your Portland traffic is nothing like what we call traffic here haha. I loved Portland so diverse, and I like how you guys promote your local businesses, like I saw everywhere I went Tillamook was used this is how a tightly nit community should work. I still want to visit Matt's taco stand in Portland I heard it's heavenly. People are so nice like how San Francisco is people in LA suck.

I did all my high dollar shopping there too, no tax? **** outta of this world, where I live it's 10.25 sales tax,now I understand employment tax is high my niece goes to U of O and she works at a nearby restaurant and told me taxes are higher with employment but **** Oregon is a nice state. BTW all you guys drive Subaru what's up with that?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Electric tire shredder, I replied on your other post. I'll post data when I can over the next couple weeks.
THANKS BIOHAZARD! I also replied to that other thread with an even easier test that anyone with OBD can do with nearly zero effort: Just test key-out HV voltage right after a full charge.

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Electric tire shredder, No problem. Just don't expect data right away, maybe within a week or two.

Twinturboz, I'm glad you like it here. I've lived here most of my life, and most other places I've gone I really miss the greenery. Also I looked at those Toyos, holy crap they cost way less than the other tires. 69/tire vs 130/tire. How long have you been using them/how fast have they been wearing out?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
It would be VERY hard to find tires that don't grip better, wear better, & cost less than the stock "worst tires in history".

I paid FIFTY-nine for Hankooks, my friend paid FORTY-nine for the same ones, & they grip AND wear MUCH better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Electric tire shredder, No problem. Just don't expect data right away, maybe within a week or two.

Twinturboz, I'm glad you like it here. I've lived here most of my life, and most other places I've gone I really miss the greenery. Also I looked at those Toyos, holy crap they cost way less than the other tires. 69/tire vs 130/tire. How long have you been using them/how fast have they been wearing out?
I paid $47 each for mine at tire rack so far I put 1200 miles so far so good in dry and rain usage. First thing I notice is helluva lot less wheel spin off the line and no more of the weird groaning sound I used to get at 70mph (I thought it was the infamous rear wheel bearing taking a dump). You live in OR where it rains alot this would be ideal since water channel groves on these look pretty aggressive. These are rated 280 A A so not bad or good but better then the oem tire. Wear is still undetermined and early to tell but based on the fact you can only pile on limited range this car has it will be a while before they are bald lol. Oh and they are pretty quiet on the highway which is a huge plus to me.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Both me & a lady friend wore all 4 rotated stock tires bald in under 6k miles on both our 500es.

After 5,500 mi on my Hankooks I measured the average remaining tread depth as 7/32, which would put me on track for over 17k life, which is over THREE TIMES the life of the stock POS

·
Registered
215 Posts
Both me & a lady friend wore all 4 rotated stock tires bald in under 6k miles on both our 500es.

After 5,500 mi on my Hankooks I measured the average remaining tread depth as 7/32, which would put me on track for over 17k life, which is over THREE TIMES the life of the stock POS
What on earth are you doing to tear through a set of tires in 6k or 17k thats crazy, my VW they lasted me anywhere from 35-40k on low cost Sumitomo HTR Z3 245/40ZR17

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main reason I was considering the ECOPIA EP422s was because of the mileage warranty, and because people said they sound much quieter than the stock tires. The road noise does get pretty loud at around 70. Though I suppose it's still quieter at that speed than my Jetta wagon. All you can hear in that car around that speed is the engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The main reason I was considering the ECOPIA EP422s was because of the mileage warranty, and because people said they sound much quieter than the stock tires. The road noise does get pretty loud at around 70. Though I suppose it's still quieter at that speed than my Jetta wagon. All you can hear in that car around that speed is the engine.
Are fiat folks like same group of people? So many of you guys drive the same cars I do. I also have a VW wagon 15’ Sportwagen

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fiats and vw cars drive pretty similarly in my experience. Very responsive pedals. So that probably has something to do with it. I just really don't enjoy driving cars like my wife's Ford Taurus. It's a great car with almost 300 horsepower, but it feels like I'm driving a boat...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fiats and vw cars drive pretty similarly in my experience. Very responsive pedals. So that probably has something to do with it. I just really don't enjoy driving cars like my wife's Ford Taurus. It's a great car with almost 300 horsepower, but it feels like I'm driving a boat...
I hear ya, I love European cars how they drive, previously I drove Nissan sports cars and a couple of old Toyotas (the fun ones) MR2 Spyder and 90s twin turbo Z cars. I can't get myself to drive boring cars reliable or not.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
My own 500e & MR2 Spyder have been 100% reliable.

Before my own Spyder I had a Z too! Mine was a '72 though, wirh a Ford 5.0 V8.

I got to drive an eGolf a lot when a good friend leased one, & I must admit that while relative to a 500e it fails miserably on price, substantially on size (can't squeeze thru traffic like a Fiat), & slightly on acceleration, it's at least very slightly better in nearly every other way.

As for "Euro" I've driven a couple i3s & wasn't impressed much.

500e is the best daily-use car I've ever even driven, let alone owned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts