Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e
1 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2017 500e too (Jan.23, 2020). I bought it to keep the miles off my new Subaru Crosstrek, and to commute to work sometimes (58 mile round trip). It's way more fun, quieter, and comfortable to drive than I thought it would be. It's very solid and substantial feeling. It had less than 15K miles on it and the front tires were worn to the point that decided to start fresh with new tires all around. I bought a set of Yokohama YK740GTX stock size tire from Discount Tires. It's not a LRR model, but I was more interested in a quieter smother ride as well as better handling, braking, and tread life. So far they have lived up to my expectations. I also upgrade the headlights, fog lights, and dome lights to much brighter LED bulbs. It's nice to see a couple of members (Biohazard and cjm1219) in my back yard. I live in the Milwaukie-Oak Grove area.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
Welcome toastermike! Yes these little cars are such a good value, cheap and c'mon the EV maintenance is very little to none it's a win win. It's so weird I drove be the gasser VW wagon today (has sat for a month now) and man despite having 240hp turbo power at my disposal it felt so slow taking off. I will give gasser VW one merit it feels so solid and stable at 80mph down the highway like a boss. My 500e is kinda squirrelly at higher speeds it tramlines and sometimes wanders around the lane, cross winds definitely makes it darty. I can't wait to lower it, so many guys here with lowered 500e and they look so good.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Ya, the instant torque is hard to beat.

After pulling my power steering fuse, my 500e felt fine at 80.

Then I ran into a curb & messed up the front alignment, so you might want to check yours.

When I got my new tires, they tramlined a bit ONLY on ONE local bridge, but now that they're worn a bit I don't notice any more. Tire pressure made a bit of difference before that, but now I can't remember. I think stock pressure was better than the higher pressures I usually run to keep the wear more even with my crazy cornering speeds.

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ya, the instant torque is hard to beat.

After pulling my power steering fuse, my 500e felt fine at 80.

Then I ran into a curb & messed up the front alignment, so you might want to check yours.

When I got my new tires, they tramlined a bit ONLY on ONE local bridge, but now that they're worn a bit I don't notice any more. Tire pressure made a bit of difference before that, but now I can't remember. I think stock pressure was better than the higher pressures I usually run to keep the wear more even with my crazy cornering speeds.
Wait what?
This car has a fly by wire steering system. If you pull the fuse on the power steering how can you steer at all?
Does the servo just bear the brunt of the rack and pinion on its own then?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
Wait what?
This car has a fly by wire steering system. If you pull the fuse on the power steering how can you steer at all?
Does the servo just bear the brunt of the rack and pinion on its own then?
its not a Infiniti there is still a direct mechanical connection to the rack, the power assist motor is on the column basically like 5” down from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 500e
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Huh. Interesting. I just assumed by how smooth it felt that it was full electric. And there's the odd sensation of stepper motor stepping if you move the steering wheel a small amount while at a complete stop.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts