Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and have a question about the 500e.

How's it do on hills? My daily commute has a 2.5 mile grade of 7%. It's also a 65 mph zone.

Total trip (including the grade) is 20 miles. I would be tackling the grade at 100% charge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019. I live outside of Los Angeles. My experience has been that at 70 mph max, with slow accelerations, you have a 40 mile range limit at most, especially with hills. On surface streets, the range limit is double that or more.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
Ya, I get 100 miles in the city!

EDIT: OOPS! I mis-read. Should be fine, based on my data from before editing...:

I think a 20-mile 7% hill might be kind of close, especially at 65. I might be tempted to watch for any 500Es on your route, & maybe even follow them til they stop & you can ask them.

My friend's eGolf got almost the exact same range & power use per mile. We charged to 100% at the Highland Ca. Walmart, & took it to BigBear. We were getting pretty low at the summit, around Snow Valley, about 20 miles at 5% grade, according to Google Maps, using their "bicycle" mode.

Granted, the eGolf is heavier, so 500e might fare better on hills (we never tested that). We weren't going 65 though, since there are lots of corners AND we didn't know if we'd make it going fast. On the way back down we did gain something like 80% of what we lost on the way up, averaging not much worse than the same total distance on the flat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A 2.5 mile grade with 100% charge shouldn't be an issue if you live in a warm climate. You will get a lot of what you lost going up the grade when you return. Worst case is you have to go a bit below the speed limit.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
For us metric-challenged:

60km is 37 miles
1000 metres is 3280 feet elevation (original post is only 370 feet)*
-15C is 5F, which kills range.

My BigBear trip was over 6,000 feet elevation change!

* 2.5 miles of 7% grade is only 370 feet elevation.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
OMG! I can't believe I didn't even realize my very own regular 17-mile-each-way drive has 2 high bridges, totaling 390 feet uphill elevation change, with those portions typically doing about 60mph. Most of the rest is stop-&-go city, & it only takes me about 35% to do the round trip in 60-90F.

My excuse for not realizing it is that it doesn't matter much, since I gain back most of the "lost" range on the way down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the forum and have a question about the 500e.

How's it do on hills? My daily commute has a 2.5 mile grade of 7%. It's also a 65 mph zone.

Total trip (including the grade) is 20 miles. I would be tackling the grade at 100% charge.

Thanks!
It is a beauty. It will take some extra miles from the normal, but it has plenty of power. I do around 65 round trip. And no problems. It has been two year since I visited a gas station.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
I believe Jorge means HILLS take some miles off the range (but regained later on the way down).

It definitely has plenty of power! I blew the doors off a late-model Maserati whose driver actually said "Wanna race?".

I do around 34 miles round trip, with about 66% to spare.

1 problem in over 5 years, solved in 30 seconds by 12V disconnect.

It has been 5.33 years since I visited a gas station.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts