Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the New England auto show in Boston. They had the all the Fiat 500 line including the Abarth. They had them stuck in the middle of the Chrysler display in a very generic booth. They had only 1 person working the whole Chrysler booth. No one representing Fiat. No handouts or swag.

Very disappointing. The Mini, Nissan had the best displays. They actually had many people around. They didn't stick Mini within BMW downplaying the their brand like Chrysler did with the Fiat 50.

Fiat failed at this auto show... lots of interested people with questions unanswered. No info to take. No dealer info. Fail.

Anyone else go?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that. The L.A. Auto Show had a great display. Both Fiat and MINI had the best ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like your show didn't have FIAT USA support, but rather was put together by local dealers, or maybe just one dealer. That's common for the smaller shows - they bring a few cars and park them there, assign a staffer or two to work the booth and that's about it. The elaborate displays you see at LA and Detroit are expensive - in the millions - so the national office doesn't roll it out for everything.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like your show didn't have FIAT USA support, but rather was put together by local dealers, or maybe just one dealer. That's common for the smaller shows - they bring a few cars and park them there, assign a staffer or two to work the booth and that's about it. The elaborate displays you see at LA and Detroit are expensive - in the millions - so the national office doesn't roll it out for everything.
I questioned this and it was not a local dealer show. They had no reps or info from or for dealers. They were all corporate reps and show cars not from the dealers. The displays were $$$ except for Fiat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was there too. NE Auto show has become a drab affair in recent years. No concept cars, few next gens, and some makes don't even show up. This year no Jags, no Land Rovers.

There was one model working the Fiat area and she was not knowledgable. They had deliberately removed the hood opener lever from the interior but she could not explain why they did that, only that they did. Great, couldn't see the main reason for the Abarth.

Car was nice, pretty much as expected from all the pictures and articles. Seats were the red leather, quite dirty from use. Comfortable to sit in, the bolsters were lower than the nearby Sport but the seat slightly narrower. BTW I noticed the foam in the Sport was a lot less firm than mine, which is a March 2011 production model. Seats look nice, as does the red stitching and other special details. Seating height not much different than Sport in my estimation.

I crawled around underneath to look at suspension. Shocks are more substantial than the sport, allegedly Koni's though Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Steering wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat Car seat cover Text Electronics Paper unmarked. Springs are shorter than stock of course and are evenly coiled, not progressively tighter in rear like the aftermarket lowering springs. Probably a better ride as a result. The ride height was pleasing to look at, higher than aftermarket lowering springs. Front stabilizer bar looked to be the same as sport. Front brakes are clearly larger than Sport.

Overall the car looks good-the extended front and rear bumpers help the appearance greatly. Wish they showed it in a dark color as well as the white. They had a sticker on it, but it had the color incorrect as Pearl White and also had the leather seats as standard equipment. Not smart to display that.

Still thinking of buying one, but dealer is now requiring a $1,000 non-refundable deposit and that just isn't going to happen. I have to check around now to find one that will do a modest refundable deposit.

Sorry about the messy picture loading. Click and they enlarge.

Reactions: the stig

·
Registered
225 Posts
Car was nice, pretty much as expected from all the pictures and articles. Seats were the red leather, quite dirty from use. Comfortable to sit in, the bolsters were lower than the nearby Sport but the seat slightly narrower. BTW I noticed the foam in the Sport was a lot less firm than mine, which is a March 2011 production model. Seats look nice, as does the red stitching and other special details. Seating height not much different than Sport in my estimation.
Very helpful review. Thanks much. A few followup questions if I may.

Was the foam in Abarth seats soft or firm? How much narrower? Are the seats in the back black or red? If black, does it look like an "Abarth" thing or just cheap? Were the rear seats also leather?

Thanks. I'll be ordering as soon as they open it up and don't want to mess up if I can help it. Oh, did any of the Abarths have the 16" wheels?

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the show. There was one Fiat rep/spokesmodel there, not from Chrysler. The cars came from the Danvers dealership. The young lady with the Fiat badge on was not from Fiat, was a rep from the show and used an Ipad-like tablet to answer questions from.

The Gucci was locked, Abnarth open. The Fiat presence was very poor, and they could have done a better job. However...the Abarth rocked :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This is what happens at dealer shows. better luck next time, or drive down to NY for the manufacturer show

·
Registered
160 Posts
Geeded-

Seats are firm but comfortable, no firmer than my sport. Seats were slightly narrower due to wider bolsters, but the bolsters were not as high as sport, so it didnt seem any less restrictive, just different. Back of seat nicely sculped for back shape and the headrest area less intrusive than the round sport headrests. Back seats are black leather, red stitching. I was actually surprised they did the stitching back there. Nice touch. I am pretty sure they had leather surfaces as well. Black seem same as sport black interior, which is not really black black, but more dark charcoal.

Another thing I meant to mention is that there does not appear to be a spare tire nor even a place to put one underneath. That space is taken up by a huge suitcase muffler that spans the width of the rear and is at least 16" deep. Exhaust is a single down the center pipe leading into this muffler. So go fast but don't go far, kids.

Reactions: geeded and SeaDawg

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
BTW I noticed the foam in the Sport was a lot less firm than mine, which is a March 2011 production model.
They definitely changed the design of the seats at some point. Huge difference between my early model Sport and the newer models.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Geeded-

Seats are firm but comfortable, no firmer than my sport. Seats were slightly narrower due to wider bolsters, but the bolsters were not as high as sport, so it didnt seem any less restrictive, just different. Back of seat nicely sculped for back shape and the headrest area less intrusive than the round sport headrests. Back seats are black leather, red stitching. I was actually surprised they did the stitching back there. Nice touch. I am pretty sure they had leather surfaces as well. Black seem same as sport black interior, which is not really black black, but more dark charcoal.

Another thing I meant to mention is that there does not appear to be a spare tire nor even a place to put one underneath. That space is taken up by a huge suitcase muffler that spans the width of the rear and is at least 16" deep. Exhaust is a single down the center pipe leading into this muffler. So go fast but don't go far, kids.
Thanks much for the answer. I certainly do appreciate it. Did the red front seats and black look strange or did it "hang together" cohesively? Any chance that there were any Abarths with 16" wheels?

Again, thanks for a LOT of useful information.

Cheers

p.s. Dang, I hope that huge muffler doesn't make it too quiet. I want some noise with my toy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks much for the answer. I certainly do appreciate it. Did the red front seats and black look strange or did it "hang together" cohesively? Any chance that there were any Abarths with 16" wheels?

Again, thanks for a LOT of useful information.

Cheers

p.s. Dang, I hope that huge muffler doesn't make it too quiet. I want some noise with my toy!

Seat color design hangs together well in my opinion. The red color is more at the pink end than the brown end, if that is clear. More a color in flowers than in autumn leaves. I mention this because if its available with red exterior it would clash. But I'd like to see the base cloth seat with the red stitching or the black leather with red stitching. I can imagine getting tired of looking at the red over time.

Only the one Abarth at the show so no 16" wheels. If I get one, I'd likely go for the 16's as way to keep the ride a little more comfy and upgrade later if I really wanted the look. I kind of doubt I will push it hard enough to tell the difference in the handling from lower tire profile.

Bottom line for me is if I order, and I am having some doubts now about the cost of upgrading, I'll likely keep it base interior, with the exterior mirror and stripes, base wheels and if my arm is twisted, get the automatic climate control and keep that extra money ( from not buying leather and sunroof) for unique upgrades, exhaust or whatever else might come along that betters FIAT's ideas.

Hopefully that big muffler is an amplifier, adding lots of basso.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seat color design hangs together well in my opinion. The red color is more at the pink end than the brown end, if that is clear. More a color in flowers than in autumn leaves. I mention this because if its available with red exterior it would clash. But I'd like to see the base cloth seat with the red stitching or the black leather with red stitching. I can imagine getting tired of looking at the red over time.

Only the one Abarth at the show so no 16" wheels. If I get one, I'd likely go for the 16's as way to keep the ride a little more comfy and upgrade later if I really wanted the look. I kind of doubt I will push it hard enough to tell the difference in the handling from lower tire profile.

Bottom line for me is if I order, and I am having some doubts now about the cost of upgrading, I'll likely keep it base interior, with the exterior mirror and stripes, base wheels and if my arm is twisted, get the automatic climate control and keep that extra money ( from not buying leather and sunroof) for unique upgrades, exhaust or whatever else might come along that betters FIAT's ideas.

Hopefully that big muffler is an amplifier, adding lots of basso.
By "hanging together" I mean the red front seats and the black rear ones with red stitching. I just don't want it to look like someone put aftermarket red seats in a black interior, if you get my drift. I don't think it will change my mind 'cause I want white/red stripe/mirrors, & red interior. I know it's really a cliche color combo for the Abarth but I do like it. Like you, I am seriously considering the 16" tires. I was totally set on them until I checked Tire Rack and there are MANY more choices (type & price) than the 16's. Also, I can't find any 17" wheels that I like more than the esseesse ones we're getting. So I'm waffling on it.

Also, there are conflicting stories on whether Pearl White will or will not be added as a color. I love that color. I'll be getting the auto-air, not because I want it but because I have to buy it to get satellite radio. Everything is a tradeoff it seems.

On the positive side, it's not likely any of us will be running into another Abarth around every corner... certainly not in the rural area in which I live. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
By "hanging together" I mean the red front seats and the black rear ones with red stitching.Cheers
Its so dark back there you really don't notice. Red seats would have been very cool but obviously they are keeping costs down. So, no, its not like the red seats are orphans, since the door panels have the red inserts as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its so dark back there you really don't notice. Red seats would have been very cool but obviously they are keeping costs down. So, no, its not like the red seats are orphans, since the door panels have the red inserts as well.
Thanks very much. Speaking of the door panels (front or back), is the red colored soft plastic or is it a covering like leather or Plether?

Thanks much

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone make sense of the window sticker? I put my order in yesterday, but don't really know how much it'll cost, so I'm curious.

The sticker shows the white paint as a $500 option, but then doesn't tag a price for the leather or the wheels? That can't be right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone make sense of the window sticker? I put my order in yesterday, but don't really know how much it'll cost, so I'm curious.

The sticker shows the white paint as a $500 option, but then doesn't tag a price for the leather or the wheels? That can't be right.
That sticker was made before the option prices were decided. They still haven't been officially released but what we have heard is the leather is $1000 and the 17" wheels are $1000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts