Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Fiat500e over the weekend. The car is brand new with under 600 miles on it, and I took it for a short drive fully charged at 99% and it stopped completely on the freeway. It froze up. The first warning that came on was something like "energy conserving mode" and then "propulsion system failure" I could not get the car completely off the freeway. It was a terrrifying experience. The car is now at McKevitt in Berkeley where they are trying to resolve the problem. At this point, my problem is that I really don't trust that car and am not sure I want it back. I was so excited to have a car to drive in the carpool lane, but I would not trust this thing in the carpool lane at this point. If it stopped there I would be killed!
I can understand your fears. Curious to hear what Fiat is doing if anything to help. I'd be surprised if they offered a refund but really should.​

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new 500e owner and new to this forum. I just wanted to say that I had a similar situation yesterday with both "service propulsion system" and "service electric vehicle system" warning showing up simultaneously. Car stalled with full charge pulling away from a stop sign. Dealer in Riverside, CA has no idea what's wrong with the car and is running more tests. Glad to see owner with similar problem were able to get it resolved.

·
Banned
762 Posts
I'm a new 500e owner and new to this forum. I just wanted to say that I had a similar situation yesterday with both "service propulsion system" and "service electric vehicle system" warning showing up simultaneously. Car stalled with full charge pulling away from a stop sign. Dealer in Riverside, CA has no idea what's wrong with the car and is running more tests. Glad to see owner with similar problem were able to get it resolved.

As recommended or suggested in another thread, check your 12V AGM battery. When this battery begins to fail or not hold charge properly, all sorts of malfunctions begin to pop up.

This is an "early stage" issue with EVs that yet need to be resolved properly. Hopefully they will rid us of these startup batteries so that so many gremlin issues don't pop up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loved this new car that I waited soooo long for but it left me in a very dangerous situation when I lost all driving power on the freeway. "Propulsion system failure" flashed and my car just shut down. Rolled out off traffic and waited for tow but found that his car does not have a tow hook! At this point Fiat has no idea what the problem is but I was told that a top engineer from Detroit had flown in to inspect the car. Still no calls and no answers. I know of one other owner having the same problem. Hope this is isolated. I welcome any thoughts on the situation.
I have a new (few months old) 2014 500e and I love it but there is a major issue with it. My daughter was driving it at low speed and it died without warning. We had it towed to the dealer and they kept it for five days to upgrade the software. It worked fine after that. Then today my wife was driving it at medium speed and it completely died. It had a fully charged battery both times. Fiat says it "needs another software update." I'm starting to become skeptical and wonder if that is the real problem. If they were on the freeway it could have been catastrophic.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a new (few months old) 2014 500e and I love it but there is a major issue with it. My daughter was driving it at low speed and it died without warning. We had it towed to the dealer and they kept it for five days to upgrade the software. It worked fine after that. Then today my wife was driving it at medium speed and it completely died. It had a fully charged battery both times. Fiat says it "needs another software update." I'm starting to become skeptical and wonder if that is the real problem. If they were on the freeway it could have been catastrophic.
My car was in the shop for 3 weeks...but they fixed it and I have had no problems since then. (about 2 months)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Due to limited range, still lack of power stations, and many problems present with EV's in general, I would never even consider an electric car. With the 42 mpg I get on my Sport, the electric bill for ev owners probably cost more than fuel does on my Sport. Not one problem with my Sport so far and still get excited about driving itl

·
Registered
380 Posts
Due to limited range, still lack of power stations, and many problems present with EV's in general, I would never even consider an electric car. With the 42 mpg I get on my Sport, the electric bill for ev owners probably cost more than fuel does on my Sport. Not one problem with my Sport so far and still get excited about driving itl
I use 300 kWh more electricity each month with my EV than without it, and my electric bill went DOWN by $125 a month. So, no, my "fuel" doesn't cost more than yours. LOL. Mine is less than free.

EV cars depend upon massive government subsidies. Imagine if for the same price you are paying for your Sport, you could have a 500e AND a <fill in the blank>.

As far as range is concerned, I have 4 other cars. ;) My 335d gets 650 miles to a tank. I can make it about 500 before I need food or a bathroom.

I only charge my at home. I drive it any time my travel is within 45 miles of home.

EV cars are a LONG way from meeting the requirements that your Sport fulfills for you...and MOST people.

Happily, it checks the fun and practical boxes for me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Likewise I use 300 kWh more electricity, and my bill went down in the summer months by MORE than $200... so I must be saving $250 a month more than you Jimbo.

I have 2 other cars, use this just for commuting and shopping.

Greg

·
Registered
116 Posts
I must be missing something. I bought the home charger & have a plan with PG &E that says it's 0.09c per Kwt whatever but my bill was astronomical.
I called PG & E & went over several months bills & they wouldn't rebate, & offered a different plan that was clearly not as good as what I have.

I have subsequently gone to charging at free chargers & my office, which has a good rate for charging.
I wish I hadn't wasted the $2k+ on installing the home unit. I'm in Marin.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Inform the Public Utilities Commission of your situation, you will probably get it fixed. You DO have your 9 cents/kwh in a document from them, right? Curious on what you were told/shown.

On your bill, were you billed at a tiered rate? I'm curious to know what was wrong, and how the bill is structured is the first step in getting it fixed.

The CPUC will go after your utility company, because it knows they have a monopoly.

Greg

·
Registered
380 Posts
Go to PG&E's website and register.

If you have a Smart Meter, all of your information is available in 15 minute increments,and you can see the estimates for what your electric bill would be for each plan based upon your actual time-sensitive usage over the last 12 months. It is a pretty good estimate based upon my first two bills.

Did you switch to EV-A? Or EV-B with a dedicated meter?

Only people who were getting massively screwed by the tiers built to punish consumption will get a significant benefit like Greg and I. That usually is a result of being in a big house and/or having a family that consumes more power than the government approved family of four living in a 1200 square foot ranch style home with no pool or fridge in the garage. (I am not joking. You can research how your base usage is calculated.)

When I hear "Marin" I don't immediately think 5000 square foot house and $900-$1200 a month utility bill, but that is obviously just my El Dorado Hill Billy bias talking. You could own Skywalker Ranch for all I know. LOL.

So...

What was you average kWh per month usage before your EV?

What was your electric bill? Just the electricity part.

If you tell me that your bills have skyrocketed from $80 a month to $115 a month, then my final thought on this thread is "Screw you, you pathetic whiner. "

:D

By the way, I was in The City yesterday and I saw about 5 500e's scooting around. I was so jealous. One day I am going to plan a three-legged trip just so I can drive mine across the Golden Gate. You are lucky. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, I'm not in a large home. My PG & E bill in summer is around $60, winter, maybe $200. I'd have to check the bills but I remember one was $400.
Im buried in work for 1 more week & then i should be able to make use of the info in todays posts.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all thank you for your attention. failure message disappeared today morning, still I checked 12 V battery and it's weak. They recommended me to replace it.
PS. car was 5 month in container, I bought it in California in July and revived it 1 week ago, it could be also a reason of discharge. I will try to charge 12 V battery separately and observe, if again appears same problem I will replace 12 V battery.
Thank you!

·
Registered
976 Posts
That makes sense... 6 months w/o a charge? (Although 4 years on a Fiat 12V isn't unexpected.) From the manual:
VEHICLE STORAGE The preferred way of storing your vehicle for a long period of time is to leave it attached to a Level 1 or Level 2 charger. The vehicle has a wake-up feature that will wake the system every 3 weeks and do a maintenance charge on the 12 Volt battery and also top off the high voltage battery if necessary. Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (e.g., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the air conditioning system is started again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Archil,
If you could please reach out to us privately confirming your current location of residency as well as the name associated with your VIN, we can potentially look further into this from our end.
Laura
FiatCares
Hello Laura,
Do you mean local Fiat dealer?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts