Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I'm Tyler, and a few weeks ago I traded my 2011 Jetta for a Rosso on Marrone Ivorio 500 Pop! It's a car that I've been interested in since they first came out back in 2007 (which I heard about through Top Gear UK). Went to the dealer shortly after buying my Jetta in May of 2011, to see what was what. Waited a few months for my lease to mature enough, went back, and 4 days later I drove off in my new car. Bought from FIAT of Providence, excellent experience all around, and I'm only paying $2 a month more to buy the car than with the Jetta. Put about 1500 miles on it so far and I love it!

Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Hatchback

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome,

Thats an interesting change. We here a lot of different reasons for getting a 500, many are pretty obvious (like mine, $35/week in premium gas -vs- $80/week in regular). But I do like the purchase vs lease. I know the Jetta is a nice car, and certainly has a very different driving feel to a 500, I'd love to hear your comparisons. Are you a keep it like it is kinda person or is are you going to catch the "just one more tweak" fever that we see a lot of on the forums ;) I agree that red with white looks nice.

Also, first dealer badge Ive noticed on a 500....wonder how many people are going to think its a Geo?

·
Registered
700 Posts
nice car.....how does the white steering wheel hold up..does it get doity...that is what held me back from that color interior....
how do you like the cargo rack any wind noise from it...... congrats on the car again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome,

Thats an interesting change. We here a lot of different reasons for getting a 500, many are pretty obvious (like mine, $35/week in premium gas -vs- $80/week in regular). But I do like the purchase vs lease. I know the Jetta is a nice car, and certainly has a very different driving feel to a 500, I'd love to hear your comparisons. Are you a keep it like it is kinda person or is are you going to catch the "just one more tweak" fever that we see a lot of on the forums ;) I agree that red with white looks nice.

Also, first dealer badge Ive noticed on a 500....wonder how many people are going to think its a Geo?
Well the purchase/lease wasn't the deciding factor for me, gas mileage was definitely a plus (avg 25 in the Jetta vs. 31 in the 500), and I liked having the voice activation for the iPhone, since I was constantly fumbling with my phone during my 25 mile commute. Both have distinct personalities, and don't get me wrong, the VW was a great drive but the Fiat is more fun. You get to use more of the available power more of the time. Jetta is definitely more comfortable on the highway but that should come as no surprise given the difference in wheelbase. Ergonomics are good in both cars, with better visibility in the Jetta. Basically, I just didn't feel as happy as I wanted to be with the Jetta, maybe because I bought the wrong model/color combo (black on black, where as I prefer light interiors) but it just didn't excite me in the way my past cars have (E30 BMW, Outback, W123 MB, Saab 9-5). As far as tweaks go, I think I'll be a bit more carefree with this car, nothing crazy though, maybe an exhaust/intake setup, and I'm adding some LED lights to the glovebox since there aren't any in there. We'll see as time goes on though, I've only got 1600 miles on it. And the Geo relation didn't even cross my mind! Nobody's mentioned anything thus far though. ;)

nice car.....how does the white steering wheel hold up..does it get doity...that is what held me back from that color interior....
how do you like the cargo rack any wind noise from it...... congrats on the car again...
So far the white accents have been holding up pretty well. I'm a technical theatre student so I often come out of the shop with dirty hands from handling metal/wood etc and haven't got any complaints yet. And yes, there is increased wind noise from the rack, it's only really noticeable on really windy days at 50mph+, otherwise, it's about as quite as the sunroof equipped Sport demo the dealer let me have for the few days between signing the paperwork and getting my car registered. They actually threw the rack in the deal since it was already displayed on the car which I was pretty happy about since it's a $400 accessory, I ski, and it adds a pretty good deal of extra cargo room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts