Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Cypress Hill once said: "How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been, understand where I'm coming from?" So I'll let the pics do the talking...

In 2000, I bought this on eBay:

It was t-boned at a red light, and I switched to sports cars (1983 911, 944, and 928S):

Decided I wanted something a bit newer and more practical (2003 Z4 and 325i):

Then BMW, who swore they'd never make a Z4 coupe or M version came out with...

Hey, I needed something for the commute! (stock image, but like mine)

But I missed having a convertible, so the Smart went for...

Then I realized how rarely I drive with the top down and got:

which I sold to get:

Leaving me with the Z4 M Coupe and Fiat 500 Sport.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seriously, stop hating on the Smart. Drive one when you can't find a parking space worth your life, and see how much you hate on it then. Oh, and when you have to fill up too.

Anyway, great choice with the 500, it's a lot of fun. Let's see, I've had my variety of cars too:

1. 2001 Kia Rio
2. 1994 Volkswagon Golf
3. 1993 Geo Metro
4. 2002 Hyundai Accent GS
5. 2009 Smart Fortwo Brabus edition
6. 2012 Fiat 500 Sport

Well, that is not a lot actually. But I'm only 22, well, maybe for my age it's a little more than usual.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Congrats, you're like my father inlaw in regards to swapping cars.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, you're like my father inlaw in regards to swapping cars.
I have trended towards flipping in the last couple of years, changing up with not a lot of cash outlay, mostly because I haven't found that perfect commuter. The Z4 M Coupe is definitely a keeper, so the long-term 2nd car is what I'm looking for. We'll see how the Fiat fares.

My initial impression is that it could use lowering and slightly wider tires to improve stability in turns, but I think it rides very well for its short wheelbase, and wouldn't want to mess with that. Most people that haven't tried one think it needs more power, but it's got pretty good pick-up for a city runabout, imo.

Thanks for the welcomes...

·
Registered
825 Posts
My flight lands at O'Hare on Thursday, just meet outside arrivals at the curb. :)

Seriously, congrats on the car.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
nice pics (the one of the smart just brought back horrible memories of our local smart center) BUT........I just have one question:

Sox or Cubs? :rolleyes:

either way, WELCOME to the forum! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sox or Cubs? :rolleyes:
I'm originally from Kentucky, so I've never really followed baseball (though some folks there follow the Cincinnati Reds). In 25 years here I've yet to catch a baseball game, despite living about 2 blocks from Wrigley Field (which is why I need easy to park cars - baseball season is brutal).

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Seriously, stop hating on the Smart.

My mother owned one, not hating, stating observed facts, part of this though is that it was an 09 model and the newer models are far nicer. Seeing as her car had no options really since not much was offered in 09 and the major issue of the car not accelerating when pressing the throttle. Other things made my dislike it somewhat but I also liked it in some ways as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My mother owned one, not hating, stating observed facts, part of this though is that it was an 09 model and the newer models are far nicer. Seeing as her car had no options really since not much was offered in 09 and the major issue of the car not accelerating when pressing the throttle. Other things made my dislike it somewhat but I also liked it in some ways as well.
In this case, observations sound more like opinions rather than facts. :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, so I'll mark you down as a Cubs fan.....which is 'ok' in MY book! :)

living only 2 blocks from Wrigley, we're SOOOOOOOOO jealous. :D
Close enough to be bothered by the lights, and hear the crowd when they score. Funny story - I was home reading during a game and heard the usual cheers and such of a game night. Then I hear not cheering, but the sound of about 20k or so people really pissed, and it wasn't for a second or two like there was a bad call - it went on and on. Wondering what the **** happened, I logged on to listen to the gameon the web (I don't own a tv or stereo/radio); it was the night that guy (Bartsomething?) caught the ball during the playoffs. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
In this case, observations sound more like opinions rather than facts. :D

Allow me to elaborate...

-Fact, Smart in 09 could not give my mother Cruise Control - 500 has it on all models as far as I know
-Fact, Smart has 3cyl and I think 80HP, 500 has 4cyl and 101HP, noticeably better

-Fact, accelerator depressed returned nothing, car did not move.
-Fact, the 2012 Smarts offer better/more options than the 09 (as expected)

These are the main things I was referring to, others here may be referencing opinions but these are the main facts that made me dislike her Smart and like my 500.
:)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Funny story - I was home reading during a game and heard the usual cheers and such of a game night. Then I hear not cheering, but the sound of about 20k or so people really pissed, and it wasn't for a second or two like there was a bad call - it went on and on. Wondering what the **** happened, I logged on to listen to the gameon the web (I don't own a tv or stereo/radio); it was the night that guy (Bartsomething?) caught the ball during the playoffs. :cool:
a very DARK day in the Cubs History Book......Steve Bartman, a name that will NEVER be forgotten by Cubbie fans until they can finally win the big one.:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Allow me to elaborate...

-Fact, Smart in 09 could not give my mother Cruise Control - 500 has it on all models as far as I know
-Fact, Smart has 3cyl and I think 80HP, 500 has 4cyl and 101HP, noticeably better

-Fact, accelerator depressed returned nothing, car did not move.
-Fact, the 2012 Smarts offer better/more options than the 09 (as expected)

These are the main things I was referring to, others here may be referencing opinions but these are the main facts that made me dislike her Smart and like my 500.
:)
You are not alone in not liking the Smart for many good reasons, but I can also see why some people like them.

Anyways, welcome! Nice eclectic selection of cars. Love the Black Sport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like fun buying different cars, cool you opted for a 500, pretty different price range and style than most of the others, obviously not the Smart which I feel the 500 beats hands down. Welcome to the forums.
It does beat the Smart, but not hands down. I own a Smart and now also a Fiat. I love BOTH of them. The Smart gets much better gas mileage. On a trip from Salt Lake City to Wendover, in the Smart, I got 70.8 MPG. The best I have gotten in the Fiat has been 36.2 MPG, city and interstate. I usually get about 35 to 40 MPG around town in the Smart. When the winter goes away, we will be taking the same trip to Wendover in the Fiat to see how the MPG compares with the Smart.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It does beat the Smart, but not hands down. I own a Smart and now also a Fiat. I love BOTH of them. The Smart gets much better gas mileage. On a trip from Salt Lake City to Wendover, in the Smart, I got 70.8 MPG. The best I have gotten in the Fiat has been 36.2 MPG, city and interstate. I usually get about 35 to 40 MPG around town in the Smart. When the winter goes away, we will be taking the same trip to Wendover in the Fiat to see how the MPG compares with the Smart.
I've owned a smart for 4 years & NEVER got better than 30mpg on any trip. I've gotten 42mpg in my FIAT though.

Hands down the FIAT is way better than the smart in my opinion.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts