Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for the forum members regarding my "new" 2017 Abarth. I owned one earlier, but replaced it with a work vehicle a few years back. Now I'm back in the game and have questions about my particular car, and some mods for which there was no support in the past.

My first oil change was at 4500 miles (going by the dealer's service sticker) and the oil was extremely dark. Is that normal?

Next, the trunk area interior light housing has a broken tab, so doesn't sit flush in the panel. I can't find a replacement on the internet, and it doesn't appear in the online mfg drawings. Is there a more comprehensive part warehouse that might have that part?

Now the fun stuff: I want to change the steering wheel and keep cruise control. I theorize that I can wire the system to be "always ON" with ignition, and can add a button to engage it. I'm fine with giving up accel/decel/resume. Anyone done this?

Second, I'm still not buying the no-running-light protocol. Has anyone devised a kit/mod that separates running-light actuation from that for the headlights?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can't judge oil quality by it's colour. If you want to know for sure you can send it off to be analyzed. It's not that expensive but I just change it more frequently rather than pay for the analysis.

A dealer should be able to look up the part number, I took a look but couldn't find anything. In the past I've glued broken tabs back on, but that depends on where it is located and if you have the broken piece.

Personally I love cruise control for long highway drives so I wouldn't give it up. You could always get a custom steering wheel made that uses an OEM core (so it will fit the existing buttons/airbag). I got this done for my VW and the cost wasn't too bad. The Abarth wheel is pretty nice so depends what you're looking for.

I think the running lights being always on might be a setting (depending on your market). You shouldn't have to do any physical modding its just a matter of finding where the setting is. USA cars won't have it enabled by default, whereas Canadian cars will, so usually its just an on/off switch. Sometimes its in the dashboard settings menu, otherwise you'll need someone with an OBD cable to program it. I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have my running lights on all the time. You set it in the EVIC dash settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oil change color, oil new is very transparent, so what you mean by "extremely dark" may be normal, your use of sport and throttle activity greatly affects the color of the oil, I change mine every 4k and it is considerably darker than when put in. Plastic piece broken do you have the broken part? I have done extensive reconstruction on a Honda Del sol ash tray using super glue and baking soda (Using Super Glue and Baking Soda to Repair a Plastic Switch Plunger - YouTube ) other wise order new part or look on e-bay for a used one. new depending on which part is 4 to 40$ new and 25 on e-bay. the superglue and baking soda is very strong and sticks to almost any thing do in thin layers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil change color, oil new is very transparent, so what you mean by "extremely dark" may be normal, your use of sport and throttle activity greatly affects the color of the oil, I change mine every 4k and it is considerably darker than when put in. Plastic piece broken do you have the broken part? I have done extensive reconstruction on a Honda Del sol ash tray using super glue and baking soda (Using Super Glue and Baking Soda to Repair a Plastic Switch Plunger - YouTube ) other wise order new part or look on e-bay for a used one. new depending on which part is 4 to 40$ new and 25 on e-bay. the superglue and baking soda is very strong and sticks to almost any thing do in thin layers.
Super Glue + baking soda! Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts