Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've probably heard them before. Took delivery a couple days ago of a 2016 Fiat 500E. Great little car so far. It is doing exactly what I purchased it for, which is to drive the errands locally. It was interesting the other day I took it out and headed to softball practice which is exactly 8 miles away. The odometer read 86 miles when I headed to the field. When I returned home it read 83 miles. Does Regen braking really make that much of a difference?

I have a softball game coming up which is 30 miles from my house and there are absolutely no charging stations of any kind near the ball field. Is this a round trip I could do safely without worrying about getting home? 55mph would be the fastest road speed limit I'd be traveling on.

Lastly, are those 110 to 240 adapter cords really ok to use with the OEM charging cable?
Thanks in advance.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You've probably heard them before. Took delivery a couple days ago of a 2016 Fiat 500E. Great little car so far. It is doing exactly what I purchased it for, which is to drive the errands locally. It was interesting the other day I took it out and headed to softball practice which is exactly 8 miles away. The odometer read 86 miles when I headed to the field. When I returned home it read 83 miles. Does Regen braking really make that much of a difference?

I have a softball game coming up which is 30 miles from my house and there are absolutely no charging stations of any kind near the ball field. Is this a round trip I could do safely without worrying about getting home? 55mph would be the fastest road speed limit I'd be traveling on.

Lastly, are those 110 to 240 adapter cords really ok to use with the OEM charging cable?
Thanks in advance.
The mileage on your car is a Guess-O-Meter and nothing more. It varies depending on how you drive the car and other environmental factors. Some of the more aggressive members on this board also will say it varies with how long it's been since it was drained to zero and reset, but I just drive the car and use it as a guideline.

60 mile round trip should not be a problem unless you have a lead foot. If you want more 'insurance', turn off climate control or just use the fan instead of the A/C and you'll get ~ 10% more range.

Re: 240 adapter cords, I haven't done it, but others have. I defer to their knowledge. I just plug in the car in to 120V when I come home, get in and drive the car. I haven't screwed with it at all aside from replacing tires and wipers as needed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will do it fine if you drive slow. You might want to research on Plugshare.com to find free level 2 chargers along the way, just filter the results. Better to know there is a charger around if you miscalculate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks in advance.
In a word, yes.

I previously leased a Chevy Bolt EV and I now own a 2017 500e. Both car's OEM charge cables work perfectly well on either supply voltage, just like your phone charger does. I charged my Bolt for three years using the OEM unit plugged into 240v with an adapter. I've been doing the same with my Fiat for several months now.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
When you first turn on HVAC when it's been off for a while, it shows an unrealistic drop in range, which corrects itself after a few miles of it monitoring how little power it's actually using.

I tested & got the exact same actual real-world range with HVAC off in 60F ambient, as in 95F ambient with A/C set to 78F, & vent mode with passenger vents shut, so a low fan setting was enough, with all the cool air blowing right on me.

When I expressed my shock at no range loss, someone pointed out that while higher temperatures aren't as good for battery LIFE, they improve battery EFFICIENCY. In other words, A/C power use was compensated by the warmer battery's higher efficiency. Also warm air is less dense, causing less air drag (by far the predominant range factor).

HOWEVER: Range can be robbed even in cool weather by the A/C compressor being turned on by the highly false-positive-prone humidity sensor. & it's "sneaky" by not even lighting up the A/C button! So I very strongly recommend leaving the sensor unplugged, as I have done for over 5.5 years now:

IF you want more peace of mind driving longer distances, I recommend getting OBD so you can see its actual remaining %, which is what the car goes by (it doesn't stop until THAT reaches zero).

IF there's a discrepancy between OBD & the car's gauge, you CAN reset it IF you want:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congratulations on buying the best little car on the road (IMO). Yes - the gauge is truly a Guess. I have seen mine go UP many times depending on how I drive. A better gauge is the battery % meter on the left. I was getting about 1% per mile normally, and about 1.5% per mile with the A/C on. Keep track of it for a while and you will see how you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts