Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car in to the dealer about two weeks ago to get the steering wheel indexed (it was crooked from the time I picked the car up, but the paint issues I had trumped it), and a day after I noticed a loud hum or general 'din' from the car at about 60mph, and now it's happening at a little over 30. It's not road noise, and it seems to almost resonate through the car, making it seem very loud and noticeable. At first I thought it was the power steering motor whirring away after they did whatever they did to it, but it's definitely more than that.

Anybody have any noises like this crop up after a while?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hard to say without actually being there. The one starting point is to see if you can determine if the engine is creating the noise or something else (like a wheel bearing).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's a wheel bearing, it sounds like it's coming from that center of the car, engine or transmission area. I definitely notice it the first 5,800 miles, just the last 500, and it's not all the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just drove it again, and it seems to actually be getting worse. Engine RPM doesn't seem to make any difference, just wheel speed, and the whole car buzzes from it. My head and ears actually hurt lol it's like a power tool, not overly loud but the right vibration that you feel it in your skull.

·
Registered
181 Posts
no point in asking us here, theres no way for us to hear the noise.
just take the car back to the dealer and tell them what you told us.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'd guess its an NVH issue.

Probably some body related object resting on the driveline, allowing vibration to transmit resonance.

Or when working on the steering wheel and making adjustments, they loosened or moved something in a way that made resonance occur at cretain engine loads/rpms.

Reactions: 3DSteve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NVH, perfect way to explain it to the techs, thanks.

A few months ago I noticed a silver pipe in the area of the windshield washer reservoir had come loose from its clip, has to be something like that in there.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had my car in to the dealer about two weeks ago to get the steering wheel indexed (it was crooked from the time I picked the car up, but the paint issues I had trumped it), and a day after I noticed a loud hum or general 'din' from the car at about 60mph, and now it's happening at a little over 30. It's not road noise, and it seems to almost resonate through the car, making it seem very loud and noticeable. At first I thought it was the power steering motor whirring away after they did whatever they did to it, but it's definitely more than that.

Anybody have any noises like this crop up after a while?
3DSteve: This may be an obvious question, but has the studio checked it out for you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to get one, but my iPhone doesn't record so well.

Had a tech in the car this morning, he said it sounded like a wheel bearing, which is what they decided it was today. Had to order it today, should be all bolted in by tomorrow afternoon.

In nearly 20 years I've never had a wheel bearing on a car go bad, so I had no idea what they sounded like. My dad has had three big Chryslers so I certainly know what a dying power steering pump sounds like LOL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a rear wheel bearing, right as rain now. Sound travels weird through a car's body; I could have sworn the noise was coming from the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Tried to get one, but my iPhone doesn't record so well.

Had a tech in the car this morning, he said it sounded like a wheel bearing, which is what they decided it was today. Had to order it today, should be all bolted in by tomorrow afternoon.

In nearly 20 years I've never had a wheel bearing on a car go bad, so I had no idea what they sounded like. My dad has had three big Chryslers so I certainly know what a dying power steering pump sounds like LOL
3Dsteve: Im happy the studio was able to resolve it for you... despite the inconvenience of having to bring it to them in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts