Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - glad to have found you!
We adopted Antny last June; he has 15,000 miles on him and is a great little car, even if he DOESN'T get 50+ mpg (for some reason this fact often seems to surprise and give smug satisfaction to inquiring jumbo-size vehicle drivers :p ).
Anyway, this is our 3rd Fiat. I had a 1961 500 and my wife had a 1970 Spider, so when I needed a new commuter and heard that Fiat was back in the U.S. with the new 500, it was off to Indianapolis and the closest dealer.
Looking forward to hanging out here!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
welcome! i was indoctrinated into Fiatdom with a 1976 X1/9 back in my college days. Because of that, everyone I knew in school asked me to look after their cars since i must have been mechanically proficient enough to own a Fiat lol. Gladly the new ones are much much better (and what manufacturers cars aren't since 1975?! )

i bet with some "ecomodding" you can get that little beast to 50mpg on a long road trip at 60mph. I saw 44mpg on my first tank when doing nothing more than setting the cruse for 65mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Zonker. Yes, we Fiat old-timers were intimately familiar with that not totally undeserved Fiat acronym.
I investigated before buying and have no regrets, other than maybe not spending the extra dough for the soft-top.

I'm certainly not complaining about his gas mileage; the DIC indicates 36-37 overall. That's city/highway burning regular gas over really hilly terrain with an automatic Lounge. I agree that 50 mpg is not out of the question. In fact, that's what I'll start telling the jerks that approach me (usually at a gas station), ask about Tony and his mpg, and then want to argue that their Escalade/F-150/Whatever gets something similar! Riiiiight...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome, have you visited Swope's Studio? I too am an old FIAT owner. 1965 1500 Spider, 69 124S Coupe with FAZA mods, 850 Spider and a 1800 Spider. I drove the demo 500 Cardinal had in Louisville. I have ordered an Abarth from Sweeney in Florence, if they ever build it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been to Swope's yet, but Tony will be heading there for his 16,000 mile service in a couple of weeks. We didn't have any luck at Cardinal Dodge/Chrysler. Last May I called about that red Sport demo and was told to come on up for a test-drive but when we got there they couldn't find the keys or the salesman that was driving it! It shouldn't be surprising that they lost the Fiat franchise to Swope.
That Abarth will be TOTALLY cool - congratulations (and I admire your patience)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts