Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,
Looking at buying a Used 500E. Found 2 that need "mechanical work". Both are stuck in Turtle Mode with engine lights on and batteries at "0" percent on dash. I ASSUME that it the mechanical problem. Both have about 55,000 miles on them. I have a background in Lithium Ion and Mechanics working on Industrial Products (Forklifts, Tuggers Carriers etc..) so I totally get that the battery probably has been discharged to far. My questions are simple:
1. Both card have a "mail envelope" on the display and the date is set at 1/1/2014, Is this significant to anything???
2. Can the individual cells of the battery be replaced.
3. Does the battery have some kind of BMS in it??
Really appreciate any direction or information you could supply.
Thanks,
Xnyker#1

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,442 Posts
1. "Mail envelope" means there's 1 or more stored messages.
2. You could search for a source for individual cells. They're Samsung SDI 63Ah, however if one or two have dropped too low to resurrect, they're likely all bad & you'd need a whole pack (from a wrecked one?)
3. Yes, there's a BMS. I believe it's inside the battery pack case.

You might want to read the service training manual attached to this other post on the same forum:

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,442 Posts
2. Several 500Es have been "bricked" by letting them sit so long that the voltage dropped so low that the BMS refused to charge it. It loses about 3.5%/week, so if it gets a glitch when it's at 35% & won't charge, then in 10 weeks it's at 0% which is 3.1V/cell. There's a thread about that here:
I don't know at what level the BMS refuses to allow charging, let alone how long it takes to get that low, but OBD shows "warning" & also "alarm" at 2.7V/cell, & "emergency" at 2.0V (click to enlarge):
Font Number Document Circle

A few owners have resurrected them by removing the battery pack (after draining the coolant & removing the rear axle) & recharging each of the 97 cells individually:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

1 - 3 of 3 Posts