Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just up at the studio, which is a couple blocks from my house. The west coast, has a back order of 200 Abarths. West coast dealers, are contacting the mid west dealers looking for cars. The studio was suppose to get about 10 cars. We have 2 studio. Doesn't look like it now. He told me, the west coast dealers are paying premium prices, for Abarth, up to 2 to 3 k each. Only 500 Abarths are going to be built. Thats nuts, for a car thats in demand. This is according to the sale manager, at our studio. Its about sales he said. I guess I'll wait for the 500T, or if Fiat decides to build more Abarths. For you folks who are getting a Abarth. Your really lucky. I still love my little sport.

The Fiat lot use to be pack, with cars. The 500's are selling like hot cakes up there now. the KC auto show helped! He told me the best selling models were the Pop, and Sport. He wish he had more Pop models. Getting low on stock. He'd like to turn the Lounges, in to the other two models. They don't sell. Told him to give me a discount on one. He sold 5 Gucci's too!:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Was just up at the studio, which is a couple blocks from my house. The west coast, has a back order of 200 Abarths. West coast dealers, are contacting the mid west dealers looking for cars. The studio was suppose to get about 10 cars. We have 2 studio. Doesn't look like it now. He told me, the west coast dealers are paying premium prices, for Abarth, up to 2 to 3 k each. Only 500 Abarths are going to be built. Thats nuts, for a car thats in demand. This is according to the sale manager, at our studio. Its about sales he said. I guess I'll wait for the 500T, or if Fiat decides to build more Abarths. For you folks who are getting a Abarth. Your really lucky. I still love my little sport.

The Fiat lot use to be pack, with cars. The 500's are selling like hot cakes up there now. the KC auto show helped! He told me the best selling models were the Pop, and Sport. He wish he had more Pop models. Getting low on stock. He'd like to turn the Lounges, in to the other two models. They don't sell. Told him to give me a discount on one. He sold 5 Gucci's too!:)
Aww, sorry Smark!

Remember I reported that my Los Angeles studio (FIAT of Van Nuys) told me they were going to mark it up $5,000. I can't attest to the accuracy, but that's what the manager told me around 2.5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Just hang in there. Doubt only 500 will be built once they see the demand. It's just to build the hype. Everyone wants something they can't have, including seat belt buzzers that turn off, right Peips? lol ;)

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lorvar., that what I figure too. Supply, and demand, right now on something really hot. They would be really stupid to produce, only 500 cars, if sales are going to be that good. My wife wants my silver sport really bad. She' going to have to wait now!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm sure that this limited run is just the beginning. They will come out with other limited runs of various models with different options down the road. Its about building the buzz and right now it seems to be working.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Tacoma studio in Washington could probably get you one. They are going to get alloted a good number of Abarths because they sold a lot of Fiats last year. Shipping should be a few hundred dollars but you can probably get the car for sticker price. Tacoma is a great studio and John Valentine took really good care of me. I would be very very suprised if Tacoma couldn't get you a Abarth.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Don't be too quick to give up. I am betting you will be able to get an Abarth faster and cheaper than this dealer is saying.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This why I am waiting.... This happens with all new hot cars. VW Beetle, MINI, PT Cruiser, EVO, STi etc.. I am sure this just the whined up and not the pitch yet. The Fiat rep said 30,000 will be built each year at the L.A. Auto Show. This one of two reasons why I am waiting and in no rush.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"This one of two reasons why I am waiting and in no rush"

Much better business sense doing it this way. Another advantage of waiting is any issues that come about with the first run of cars will be dealt with at the studios under warranty, however as these issues become apparent to the engineers improvements and changes will be made during assembly. Second and third year cars often have these small changes and there fore less problems.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
"This one of two reasons why I am waiting and in no rush"

Much better business sense doing it this way. Another advantage of waiting is any issues that come about with the first run of cars will be dealt with at the studios under warranty, however as these issues become apparent to the engineers improvements and changes will be made during assembly. Second and third year cars often have these small changes and there fore less problems.
This is the second reason.

·
Registered
856 Posts
isnt Abarth already made and sold in Europe?
Its fist Abart for us in USA and CANADA, but in other worlds, its been out.

So I figure that we dont have to worry too much about "first runs of car" problems.

Same thing with Fiat 500, they have been out for good number of years just it wasnt built from mexico and usa.

anyways, I too am not in a hurry for getting Abart. I am enjoying every bit of my sport and I will just watch how Abarth do in USA. =)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
isnt Abarth already made and sold in Europe? Its fist Abart for us in USA and CANADA, but in other worlds, its been out. So I figure that we dont have to worry too much about "first runs of car" problems. Same thing with Fiat 500, they have been out for good number of years just it wasnt built from mexico and usa. anyways, I too am not in a hurry for getting Abart. I am enjoying every bit of my sport and I will just watch how Abarth do in USA. =)
Yes and no, they have been out but for the US the engine and tranny setups as well as some other aspects I'm sure have been done differently, same car, same name, different internally and mainly the engine design itself so technically we do have a "first run" or "newly designed" car really.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lorvar., that what I figure too. Supply, and demand, right now on something really hot. They would be really stupid to produce, only 500 cars, if sales are going to be that good. My wife wants my silver sport really bad. She' going to have to wait now!
Try putting another zero on that 500 and you'll be closer. So far, each studio has gotten one "demo" and an allotment of around 10 for the FIRST order. Another is expected in a month or so. Do the math. Everyone that wants one will get one, it just may take a while.

Cheers

p.s. I'm very, very glad I don't live on the West Coast.....ouch

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I recall Chrysler, when they re-introduced the Dodge Challenger, only made available the SRT8 model, in limited numbers, and for a premium price. They are probably doing the same thing with the Abarths.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Try putting another zero on that 500 and you'll be closer. So far, each studio has gotten one "demo" and an allotment of around 10 for the FIRST order. Another is expected in a month or so. Do the math. Everyone that wants one will get one, it just may take a while.

Cheers

p.s. I'm very, very glad I don't live on the West Coast.....ouch
Don't feel too bad for the West Coast. There are 15 Studios within 200 miles of my house. I'm 15 on the list at my studio and they've already been able to order 10. I'm looking at being in the second round, which they say will be sometime between next week and 3 weeks from now. Not too bad of a wait since I didn't put down my deposit too early.

I should have put my deposit down as early as you did!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Also given the run around I've gotten from many Studios here, I wouldn't be surprised if many people are on more than one list.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
With all the different stories and rumores on the internet about Abarth production I flat out asked Fiat USA on their Facebook page;

My question; Just to ask again because it is the beginning of the work week; FIAT USA; There is a lot of rumors going around on the internet about how the Abarth is going to be produced, dealers allotments, limited numbers, production numbers, shortages and what not. Can you please set the record straight on this?

Their responce; Thanks for your questions about the FIAT 500 Abarth. Although we cannot disclose the specific production details, we can certainly clarify that the FIAT 500 Abarth is not a special edition, rather a model within the FIAT 500 lineup. It will be built exclusively in limited quantities, as to preserve it’s standing as the halo vehicle for the FIAT 500 brand.

No they didn't answer my question fully, but what are ya going to do?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes and no, they have been out but for the US the engine and tranny setups as well as some other aspects I'm sure have been done differently, same car, same name, different internally and mainly the engine design itself so technically we do have a "first run" or "newly designed" car really.
in the european abarth you have the option of a 6 spd manual trans or auto with paddle shifters while in the us we only get a 5spd manual.
the suspension on the european and us models are slightly different, dont know the exact details though.
in europe you also have the option of getting lighter weight front seats that have a plastic backing rather than the normal abarth seats.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don't be too quick to give up. I am betting you will be able to get an Abarth faster and cheaper than this dealer is saying.
Precisely. This happens within any market. I've seen it with childrens toys, phones, videogame consoles, etc. Create an artificial shortage, and then flood the market when demand is high. It works, or they wouldn't bother with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts