Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPMS went off this morning, so I pulled into a gas station to top the tires off. Found one of those pay compressors like you see at car washes.

Tried three other stations, all the same. It appears that free air has gone the way of the stagecoach and pubic hair.

Just a little rant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For most of the gas stations around where I live, they'll turn on the gas for free if you ask. Even more likely if you fill up on gas.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Buy a pancake compressor, hose, and tire nozzle. Do it in your own garage, when you feel. Haven't been to a gas station in about 10 years for air.

·
Registered
269 Posts
State law in California as well. Air & water are to be available to all customers however, you do have ask for them to turn it on typically.....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I keep it very 70s down there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well with more and more cars running nitrogen, free air is probably going to be less common unless they start having free nitrogen.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Buy a pancake compressor, hose, and tire nozzle. Do it in your own garage, when you feel. Haven't been to a gas station in about 10 years for air.
Not that many years for me, but probably more than 5. Have a little 1 Gal compacity tank with little electric compressor, 1/4" auto coil hose and interchangeable tire chuck and air nozzle attachments.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I used a compact one I purchased from Harbor Freight. It was bout $15 and it works for me.
That was a steal. I got mine from Harbor Freight as well, but I think it was about $59.00.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well with more and more cars running nitrogen, free air is probably going to be less common unless they start having free nitrogen.
Possibly, but it would be more of a hassle to take the car to the dealer to get the nitrogen than pulling the little compressor out of my own garage at a time of my choosing.

They didn't do it on mine, but the dealership I bought my 500 from charges $99 for lifetime nitrogen fill. I could buy TWO of those pancake compressors for that price.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
To make matters worse, even when you pay for the air, you get plenty of free water mixed in. I finally found a tire shop where they let me use their indoor professional hose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts