Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told two different things about haggling price.

Have any of you been able to get the prices down?

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
When you order a car in a Fiat dealership, it is done through an online system. The amount shown there will match the MSRP from the web site. So unless the dealership personnel are computer hackers, the only way they could affect the price of the car is by offering you an inflated trade-in value on your old car.

Where I ordered and bought mine, they did tack on a $100 dealership fee, but this was posted on the window immediately after the car was received. Of course they will try to upsell you junk like "tire warranty" and the like, but you aren't obligated to take these. So that is the reality versus theories you might be hearing. This is the reality for the U.S.A., not sure about the Great White North.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"When you order a car."

Some studios have cars on the lot. Ordering cars isn't the only way.

Any word on variances in dealer fees? South Atlanta wants $500.00.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
It was $500 in Columbus, OH as well.
Are you confusing destination fee and "dealership processing fee?" The exact destination fee is not specified on the web site, but I think $500 is the standard USA amount. Dealerships are usually fairly standard for a given geographical area. Dealerships are often found in clusters, and you can walk from one to another and check, they are usually pretty close. In my area, $100 is the standard. It's hard to believe it is five times that amount in the booming Midwest metropolis of Columbus.

The exact price I paid for my Pop:
15,500 + 500 (shipping to destination) + 100 = 16,100 USD.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
dealer destination and processing fees...

+1

"The destination fee is the cost it takes for a manufacturer to ship the car you just bought to your local dealer. It is also sometimes called the “delivery fee.” This fee is legit and is a non-negotiable sum passed on from the manufacturer to the dealer and then to you. The destination fee is generally included in the MSRP, but not always.

The destination fee isn't truly negotiable in the sense that it is a flat fee charged by the manufacturer. If you insist on haggling the destination fee, the dealer is probably just cutting the difference from your invoice.

Keep in mind that the transport costs of these cars have to account for hundreds of miles over land or from halfway across the Earth. Even if you happen to live close to the manufacturing plant, the manufacturers will never allow you to simply pick it up at the factory. The factory is not a place for service industry. They are not there to be salesmen and they do not have the staff to coddle visitors, nor the measures to ensure your safety. For the sake of fairness to their dealers, the manufacturers have to spread the delivery cost evenly across all cars, regardless of its distance from the originating factory.

There is no hidden profit built into a destination fee. It is a real cost to the dealer, and they're not trying to pick your pocket without you knowing (for once)."

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/12/buyingguide/destination-fee.html#ixzz1L3vEA5hc

Andy...this one may affect owners in your area:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-04-23/news/bs-ed-auto-fees-letter-20110423_1_car-dealers-maryland-auto-dealers-fees
Hike in auto fees hurts consumers

April 23, 2011
"Reporter Annie Linskey is right to characterize the last-minute budget deal that allows Maryland auto dealers to double and triple the processing fees they charge buyers as "a giveaway to car dealers" ("Businesses see breaks from General Assembly," April 18).
That giveaway will be a serious blow to Maryland consumers, however, because they will foot the bill for the $100 million windfall the fee hike brings to the state's car dealers next year.
As our economy struggles to emerge from the worst recession of the last 70 years, many low- and moderate-income Marylanders are struggling to afford the cars they need to find jobs, obtain child care and travel to the places that offer products at affordable prices. Raising the processing fee to $200, and then, after three years, to $300, will put yet another strain on the finances of these cash-strapped families."

·
Registered
176 Posts
"When you order a car."

Some studios have cars on the lot. Ordering cars isn't the only way.

Any word on variances in dealer fees? South Atlanta wants $500.00.
That's what I paid in South Atlanta. The nearby Fiat dealers had the same fees, even the Toyota dealer selling some Primas (don't ask me why a Toyota dealer had three new Primas for sale). Up in PA area it was about the same fees in all dealers (I think $579!!). Usually the bigger cities have the higher fees.

I did a lot of research to get rid of this fee. There's little you can do about it. It's like a mutual unwritten agreement between dealers in a certain area. If a dealer charges a certain dealer fee amount, chances are all other dealers selling similar cars in that city will also charge it. The fee is pre-printed on their contracts so you can't change it, and since Fiat prices are no-haggling you really can't negotiate the fee off the car's price without raising some flags at Fiat corporate.

Of course, YMMV. Maybe when sales slow down Fiat and/or dealers will become more flexible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts