Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok 2012 fiat 500 s it has sat for two month it has 3000 mile on it just wont turn over batter good fuel good i dont get it was going to fiat run today did go any were :mad:monday its going to shop

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you provide a more detailed explanation. You said, "ok 2012 fiat500 s it has sat for two month it has 3000 mile on it just wont turn over batter good fuel good i dont get it was going to fiat run today did go any were :mad:monday its going to shop" ... You said..."it just wont turn over batter good fuel good i dot get it was going to fiat run today did go any were..." That doesn't make any sense... Did you mean: It won't go anywhere, (not were) ...."turn over batter"... Did you mean: It just won't turn over better?

Please take your time to explain properly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
He's an auto teknis.....auto technish....auto techniss...he fixes cars.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think it makes sense although could be explained better...

He owns a Fiat 500 which has sat for the past 2 months, it has 3000 miles on it, a good and charged battery, plenty of fuel, he wished to enjoy a drive today in his Fiat and it won't turn over when cranked. I'm guessing English is not his first language but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Two months is a pretty long time for a modern car to sit without running. Especially if he did not disconnect his "good" battery. The little loads on the battery while the car is off (like the entry key receiver, clock, radio, etc) probably drained the battery, and he needs a jump or a charge.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Gas breaks down in weeks now as opposed to months. Thank you ethanol!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why pray tell would you let a perfectly good Fiat 500 sit for 2 months without driving it. You should at least start the engine and let it run for a while. I had rotator cuff surgery last September and could not drive my 6 speed manual drive Jeep Wrangler for 3 months so I put gas stabilizer in the fuel tank and started it at least once at week for the entire 3 months. When I was able to drive, it started and I was on my way.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I found out this weekend if the 500 sits for long periods of time the first start is difficult by design. oil pressure needs to build up in the heads for the valves to work. just crack it till it starts, and you'll be fine

·
Registered
65 Posts
He says it won't turn over. That's why I suspect the battery. It takes more battery power to work the starter motor than anything else in the car. If it hasn't been started in months, all the little power drains can sap the battery enough so the starter won't turn, even though all the electricals and electronics in the car work fine. While it is sitting there, electronics in the car remain powered by the car battery to hold the radio presets, listen for the door unlock signal, and remember engine control settings and trouble codes, among other things. The battery won't support all that forever!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Won't turn over is vague. I don't think the battery would be dead after a couple months of sitting.

To me turn over means start. Crank means not turning

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm guessing English is not his first language but I may be wrong.
Chances are, English is this person's first language, just that they are extremely bad at it. Mostly, this person probably just speaks in "text English", hence the reason why they can't put together a properly constructed sentence that expresses the information that they wanted us to understand properly.

If English is not their first language, I do apologize.
If English is their first language, I highly recommend that they go back to their school systems, and demand a refund.

Anyway, first thing I would recommend would be to recharge the battery.

Also, lets clear up this whole cranks vs turns over:

If an engine turns over, that means it fired up, and is running.

If it cranks, but won't turn over, that means the starter is spinning the crankshaft, and it won't fire up. Also known as cranks but won't start.

If an engine won't crank, that means that the ignition key was turned, but the starter will not turn the crankshaft.

It confuses people when the wrong terms are used to describe this process.

BC.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Chances are, English is this person's first language, just that they are extremely bad at it. Mostly, this person probably just speaks in "text English", hence the reason why they can't put together a properly constructed sentence that expresses the information that they wanted us to understand properly.

If English is not their first language, I do apologize.
If English is their first language, I highly recommend that they go back to their school systems, and demand a refund.

Anyway, first thing I would recommend would be to recharge the battery.

Also, lets clear up this whole cranks vs turns over:

If an engine turns over, that means it fired up, and is running.

If it cranks, but won't turn over, that means the starter is spinning the crankshaft, and it won't fire up. Also known as cranks but won't start.

If an engine won't crank, that means that the ignition key was turned, but the starter will not turn the crankshaft.

It confuses people when the wrong terms are used to describe this process.

BC.
First, let me start by thanking you for NOT having a run-on sentence. I did check.

Second, you are correct turning over, and cranking are different. You must be old, like me, and remember the days of carburetors.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok tech inspected and found that it had no oil in it replaced 4 q,t of oil start up but were did oil go no leaks and its a fiat 500 sport white mile on car are 3000:rolleyes:

·
Registered
453 Posts
And shouldn't there have been a low oil indicator?

·
Registered
341 Posts
it had no oil in it replaced 4 q,t of oil start up but were did oil go
An even better question is:

Did you ever check the oil level in those 3k miles you put on the car?

Its a brand new car.
You should be checking the oil level at least once every 1k miles for the first couple oil changes to make sure it isn't burning oil, or making it magically vanish, like you have just seen.

This way, when you see 4 quarts of oil vanish in 3k miles, you can take your car to the dealer and say "Something's wrong with my engine. All the oil has vanished, and I checked it at xxxx miles, at xxxx miles, and at xxxx miles, and I've had to add x quarts of oil at each check."

I actually keep a log book for my car, and write down what the mileage was when I checked the oil, and how much oil I had to add at that check point. I also record my oil changes, what oil I used for changes, and what brand oil filter. I staple in the receipts, and the POP bar code from the oil filter. I even recorded when I rotate the tires.

You need to become more involved as an owner.

BC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no light and yes this is 2 time this did this and yes was at dealer for it at fullerton they say it cant be so used about 1500 to 1700 mile more and this time no light just did start and i had a lot of new cars i never every had to check oil every 1000 so may be it me no oil any were and dealer change oil and filter so i dont know what to do

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok it use lots and lots of oil like 1-1/2 o,t in 300 mile ride or run at 60 m,p,h hows that take it back to dealer cant be right thank u

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is why English/lit. teachers hate text messaging.

Yes, if the thing is making that much oil disappear, take it back and make them figure it out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts