Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at about 10k kms I noticed whenever moving slowly I'd hear a loud noise coming from the brakes. Sounds like my rotors are rubbing on the pads. I take it in and they tell me our cars uses metallic brake pads so as they get contaminated with oil, dirt etc they become noisy. They sanded the pads down to get rid of all the grit and it seemed to help for a few days but now it's back. Anyone else having this problem ?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a similar problem on another car I had. I drove the car backward really fast and hit the brakes hard. This cleaned them up and fixed my problem - for free no less. Every once in a while I did this to fix the noise issue. Maybe it will work for you!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I have extremely good ears, and I hear this on all my cars in damp weather, especially at startup. It's too noisy at higher speeds to hear it. So if this correlates with damp weather, I would not worry about it if I were you.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have the same issue, usually from a cold start.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I get a similar noise in my jetta, which does need new pads. I also get a grating/ loud rubbing sound from the brakes in my subaru wagon, and it has new brakes. I think that disc's are simply noisy from time to time, and especially when cold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I disovered noisy brakes at 5500kms - excessive squealing in damp weather and an annoying crunch just before complete stop. Dealer replaced all rotors under warranty and now all is fine. Apparently other owners experienced similar problems.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
at about 10k kms I noticed whenever moving slowly I'd hear a loud noise coming from the brakes. Sounds like my rotors are rubbing on the pads. I take it in and they tell me our cars uses metallic brake pads so as they get contaminated with oil, dirt etc they become noisy. They sanded the pads down to get rid of all the grit and it seemed to help for a few days but now it's back. Anyone else having this problem ?
I was under the impression that our OE pads are ceramic??? Makes sense to me as I never have brake dust! :confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Add me to the list. Noisy when cold, but then after a few braking cycles it quits.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's almost embarrassing to pull out of the morning at the crack of dawn. I can hear my wife leaving.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm going to have to roll my windows down and take a listen. We have a few mornings dipping into the 20's to start the week. I have yet to hear any noise but I haven't really paid attention....

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
No, mine are loudddd. No windows rolled down. Have to brake two or three times to get rid of it. It's worse in reverse.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
No, mine are loudddd. No windows rolled down. Have to brake two or three times to get rid of it. It's worse in reverse.
Yikes!!!!! In that case I wonder why some have and others don't have the issue!

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's the price one pays for quality pads. Other manufacturers know people hate "noisy" brakes and will complain to the dealers that there is something wrong, so the car companies fit inferior pads. Honda makes great cars, but they have longish braking distances. Just my 2 cents. As a side note, if you use the parking break, which I always do, be cautious when the brakes may be some what hot. The pad against the rear rotor can cause uneven temp cooling. I used to own a mini and was warned of this.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
No idea. Cold, salt, sand, type of materials used, who knows. How's the Borla?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
No idea. Cold, salt, sand, type of materials used, who knows. How's the Borla?
Loving it - no complaints after commuting for a few weeks with it. Nice sound where you want it but fairly quiet at speed. Most importantly no drone! I'm still planning on making some clips but work has had me running up and down the east coast as of late!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Loving it - no complaints after commuting for a few weeks with it. Nice sound where you want it but fairly quiet at speed. Most importantly no drone! I'm still planning on making some clips but work has had me running up and down the east coast as of late!

I'm debating to go custom with or without a muffler.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm debating to go custom with or without a muffler.
Truth be told I don't think you can go wrong with either. The stock setup is pretty good - you just need to remove the restriction. The rest is all about sound and the tips. I'm hoping that we can get aftermarket header availability so I can eliminate the included cat. From the looks of it - swapping cat on / cat off for emissions looks like cake.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts