Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:I just bought my new 2012 Fiat 500 Sport in Verde Chiaro and took possession of it this past Monday. Believe me I love everything about it and couldn't be happier with the car or the Austin Dealership or my sales person Katie. While I was picking out my car, originally I was quite taken with the Gucci Fiat and it was my first choice. But, as the hard tops all come with sun roofs, we found while test driving that no matter what we did, my 6 foot 3 husband could not fit in the fiat with the sun roof. So alas, I had to go a different route and after all said and done I am so pleased with the sport and manual transmission, that is not an option in the Lounge Gucci, that I don't regret my decision at all. But that Gucci styling was still catchy and I really dug the all around dark green and red decal on them. So I asked my sales person, Katie, if it was possible to duplicate that on my Verde Chiaro. "No problem". Along with that, I added heated seats and tinted windows. So Thursday morning I dropped my new car off at the Chrysler dealership in North Austin with Matt at the service station to oversee all the upgrades and went to work in a basic pop loaner. It was killing me not having my car and I missed it sooo bad but knew it was going to look awesome when I had it back. Fast Forward to today. Just got home after picking it up and I have to tell you, when I first laid eyes on my "stripe", my heart sank. It did not look at all like what I had in mind. The green looks neon and the red looks orange-ish. Besides the color, the quality of the application seems really off. I have never had a decal on my car before so I am not sure if the bubbles and lumpiness are to be expected, and will eventually even out or what. Maybe some of you can tell me what you think. My salesperson, Katie, said that they will replace the decal for me if I don't like it. But should I be concerned that they didn't just miss the mark, it was like they weren't even aiming for the mark? Not to mention the quality? I am attaching photos. One of the Gucci stripe that they were supposed to match and then one of my stripe and close ups's of the issue areas. Also, there is a photo near the door where it looks like they nicked the paint. I know it wasn't there before because a) brand new car and b) we walked all around the car and inspected it when we bought it to verify that there were no nicks or dents in the paint. Remember, I haven't even had this car a week yet. Let me know what you think. Should I trust them with trying to fix it? Will it damage my paint to peal this decal off and try again?

~Yevette
P.S. The passenger seat heater is not working either.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I would just get rid of the stripe a together. It looks really bad. That's a ugly green color. The stripe is aAll bubbled too. It won't hurt your paint, to have it removed, unless they scratch up the car doing it. Have them fix your heated seat too. Have them touch up the chip in the door too. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
OMG....that stripe is HORRIBLE! VERY LOUSY work. my cat could stripe better than that. :mad:

since they told you they could do the Gucci stripe, then they should put an actual Gucci stripe on it. they can order the stripe from Fiat. of course this will no doubt cost them more, but it will be the exact same stripe, NOT a knock-off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't you inspect the car before delivery? The studio will repair it
I did inspect it but to be honest, I think I just shut down. It is not in my nature to make big deal about things or complain. I wanted to try to be ok with it but the more I looked at it, the more I knew it wasn't working. And then when I brought it home, as soon as my husband saw it, he pointed out the terrible application.

Also, I think they couldn't sell me the actual Gucci Stripe, so I understood that it was always to be a replication. But if it is that they can not match the colors, I would rather not have it on at all. I will let you know what happens when I take it back to be fixed. I am hoping for the best but really nervous about what to expect and tempted to give up the stripe idea completely. My husband said we could have gone to a body shop and had it painted to exact color and it would have been a better job plus he thinks cheaper (it cost me $500).

Thanks for all your replies. I feel more resolved to make sure and get what I want and paid for.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Decals would be better than paint for the look you are after, but man that is a TERRIBLE job. You shouldn't feel bad at all for having them either redo the work (properly) or refund your cash. It cheapened the look of your car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd demand them to be done to YOUR liking! I would not accept that shoody work! I know a guy that would do that stripe for you for under $200 and a very high quality! Good luck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would just get rid of the stripe a together. It looks really bad. That's a ugly green color. The stripe is aAll bubbled too. It won't hurt your paint, to have it removed, unless they scratch up the car doing it. Have them fix your heated seat too. Have them touch up the chip in the door too. Good luck to you.
I agree with this 100% The verde Chiaro is a beautiful color and the stripes do not do it justice, even if they were applied perfectly. It would be like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

OH..and FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS?! Get a refund. You can buy stripes off ebay for less than 100 (maybe not those, but they are awful anyway).

Reactions: yveivy

·
Registered
391 Posts
Really sorry about your delima Yevette. Trust me, the stripes won't get better. Whoevery applied them didn't know what they were doing and the blame can't stop there. Whoever you worked with, either the sales person or service writer is at fault also for not making sure the work was done right. If you want the stripe I'd have it done somewhere else. I don't think I'd want these clowns anywhere near my car if the can't add a stripe without screwing up the paint. Good luck with it.

Jim

Reactions: yveivy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on a nice car yveivy! I work at a Fiat studio... and we have an outside company do all our decal applications.... I can tell you if they dropped a car off looking like that they'd never hear the end of it from us. And yeah, the color isn't anything close. Like others have said.... I'd skip it all together and just get your money back. They probably had the heated seats done by an outside company too.... so they'll fix that no problem. Quick question... where'd they put the buttons for the heated seats? On the front/bottom? Just check and see if they have an automatic shut off...otherwise make sure you don't leave them on too long. As for that nick in the paint... just point out that it wasn't there, they should have absolutely no problem fixing that. It's your brand new car.... it should be perfect!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the car, as for the stripe...WOW, I am shocked ANYONE could allow that car be released looking so poor, you were correct in saying it looked like bright neon colors, not even close to matching what you requested and about as poor an application as one can get and for such a high price, I truly hope they quickly and painlessly resolve this for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My advice: 1) Have them remove that stripe. 2) Go somewhere else and have them add the Italian flag stripes, instead of Gucci.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Dump the stripes. They are ugly and make the car look cheap.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fortunately stripes can be removed. Either remove it all together [the car looks great without it] and be done with it or replace with the correct stripe and have a pro do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Hello everyone,

I thought you might appreciate an update to my decal fiasco. Everyone at Fiat has been super apologetic and willing too make it right. I have an appointment to drop my car on Thurs morning do they can fix the stripe, the heated seats and the paint chip.

I appreciate all of your input and acknowledge that several of you have advised scrapping the stripe altogether. But, I really want to make this car unique to me and I really think that, done right, the Gucci stripe will look phenomenal. So I am going to give them an opportunity to remedy the situation. Matt from Fiat has assured me that he will personally see to it that the car will not be returned to me anything less than perfect. I will let you know how it goes as soon as I get it back.

In the mean time, I noticed another issue withe the heated seats besides the passenger heater not working. While looking into the hatch we noticed the wires just hanging. I will attach pics later as I haven't figured out how to do it from my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts