Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course this happens at the worst possible time...when I have it with a big box that I need to get out. Both key fobs won't open it and neither does unlocking the drivers side door while inside the car.

Any suggestions? Or am I looking forward to another trip to the dealer? Mine is a regular 500 Lounge and not a convertible.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Got this from the UK forum it might help to get the Trunk open. From what I have been reading on several Forums including Maserati Alfa it seems it is alway the same Problem Latch needs to be adjusted or Wire shortens out because of water leaking on to the wire and get corrosion. Hope this helps a little:)

However it also only works on a temporary basis for me too. The problem is quite apparent when you look at the button closely. Each time you press the button in and then open the boot, pressure is applied to the two bits of plastic which are in contact with each other to trigger the release.

And of course, if the weather is like it is at the moment, the chances are that there is all sorts of water, grime and dirt which gathers in the small gap (as described earlier this is no more than 2-3 mm). I tried cleaning out the gap with kitchen paper and using WD40, but if too much pressure is applied to the button it just jams again.

However, I did find that if you press the button in gently and then use both hands to lift the boot by gripping roughly underneath each of the numberplate light bulbs, that seemed to work as there was no excess pressure being applied to the button. I just used some baby wipes I had in the car to clean off the lights a bit, it saves you getting really grubby mitts!

I suppose the only thing anyone can do (in the absence of a redesigned mechanism) is make sure the button area is kept as clean as possible once you have managed to release the button.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go turn on your lights and turn them off. Your trunk will open. Happens to me all the time. Its soooooo annoying but I'm out of warranty and i refuse to pay their 260$. Only happens when its wet like mentioned above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine was that way when I bought it (used). Dealer I bought it from covered it, they had to replace the entire rear handle assembly

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now all of a sudden it just works...I didn't even have to try any of the above suggestions. Electrics are weird I tell ya.

Thanks to everybody who jumped in and replied...very much appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That latch works by a solenoid which is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field and moves an actuating plunger. I suggest if it's under warranty that you take it to the dealer and request it be replaced. If they refuse because it works fine for them as it usually does when you take it in, call Fiat CS and ask for some help. A solenoid will fail at the worse time as you already experienced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts