Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning home from a short drive today, I plugged in for a scheduled charge of an hour and a half on the weekend timer, expecting to start on the weekday timer in the morning to top off & warm up the battery for the drive, and while the car did seem to be charging as it should be, (based on the dashboard and what I can see from my home monitoring system), the charge indicator lights on the top of the dashboard were flashing in a pattern I’ve never seen.

Hopefully I can post a video to illustrate:

GIF attempt:

Now that I have watched this more, it looks like I am getting both the charge indicator light, which should be showing I am now above 60% charge, AND the “waiting to charge” indicator light when a timed charge is scheduled and a single light seems to flash at different places on the charge indicator.

I completed the charge I scheduled this afternoon, so I’m hoping I’m all set for the morning, but I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of thing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whoever shot the video, the music their music choice was ideal

I'm starting to think this was another Fiat's Easter egg, same like with "the other right" with the blown bulb :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Yes, I saw that video, and it also seems like it was flashing both types of indication patterns, I just couldn’t find any other information about that video since comments are disabled.

I also found the thread you referenced, where the signal light sides seemed swapped in the error alerts, but I haven’t found any other information about the charging indicator being used to display anything other than 2 sequences:

1: current charging level, lighting the “full” percentage ranges and flashing the charging range, in 20% increments (per the manual)

2: waiting for a scheduled charge, flashing one light in an alternating, repeating sequence to indicate that the car is connected to power, but not charging until scheduled

My car is charging as scheduled this morning, and while I haven’t gone out to see if the indicator lights are flashing what looks like both sequences at the same time, I think I’m ready to consider this that kind of bug and not be too concerned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3. Car timer off or scheduled to charge, J1772 connected but not charging, flashing both end lights simultaneously.
Isn’t that the “failure mode” where power had been connected to the EVSE, but ”went out” or was removed? The basic “goalposts” charging error indicator, correct?

I definitely get both end lights flashing if the GFCI outlet switch flips in the carport outlet I’m using, and unfortunately, I don’t yet have a way to get an alert when that happens, to avoid being surprised on foggy mornings that I didn’t get a warm-up charge if I don’t happen remember to check my power monitoring setup to see if the electricity usage went up the correct 1.4 kW when charging was supposed to start.

When I finally got out to my car this morning, the Charging Indicator lights were illuminated as one might expect: solid lights up to the charge level, with the next light flashing on the next 20% of capacity. Odd, but I’m glad there isn’t a larger problem.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Yes, I was describing what's called "goal posts", & yes, it indicates "failure" to charge, nearly always due to no power coming from the charger, for any one of several reasons including its power supply (as you described, or similar), its timer, or actual charger failure. In rare cases it can be the car at fault, but usually fixed with reboot by 12V disconnect.

I was just trying to clarify that there is a 3rd sequence, after reading "I haven’t found any other information about the charging indicator being used to display anything other than 2 sequences ".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
The ones I've had fail had instructions on them indicating that in the event of failure (indicated by lights) they'd auto-reset in 15 minutes. I can't remember if they say to unplug the car, but I'd do that anyway. When I time it, the lights reset in about 12 minutes, but I wait 15 just in case.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Once when one failed, another was available so I just plugged into it. After the first one reset, a Tesla plugged in & it failed. It reset again & a Leaf plugged in & it failed again. Then after it reset a Bolt plugged in & it worked. In other words, if you're desperate, don't give up. I would walk around looking for a 120 outlet while waiting, like I do sometimes when charging, just so I know for future reference. I just realized what I SHOULD do is carry my chargecord, to plug in & make sure all the lights go green.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've only had one Volta chargers that worked for me. I must have tried like 8-9 other ones and always get the goal posts.

The ones I've had fail had instructions on them indicating that in the event of failure (indicated by lights) they'd auto-reset in 15 minutes. I can't remember if they say to unplug the car, but I'd do that anyway. When I time it, the lights reset in about 12 minutes, but I wait 15 just in case.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
216 Posts
Luckily i have not yet have to visit any charging stations, it looks like with my charging options i wont have to and just level 1 charge it at home and at work.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Several years ago I read that based on wireless connections monitoring some plugin cars, 95% of drivers do 95% of their charging at home. With a commute of about twice the average daily drive, even just L1 works if you can charge at home AND work.

You might still want to look around for some free L2s near your route. I don't NEED them either, but I stop in once in a while to keep from going lower % than I have to.

So far I've found 2 free stations on my normal route:
  • 4 Clipper Creeks with reset buttons & LONG cords for easy double-parking of jerks who don't move when done.
  • 8 Voltas, 2 of which are "very old" (said their repairman) with self-reboot instructions but still nearly always worked fine for me probably around 50 times, & 6 new Voltas, 3 of which I've used a total of 5 times without fail so I haven't looked for instructions yet (I was busy online or finding 120v outlets)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
216 Posts
Several years ago I read that based on wireless connections monitoring some plugin cars, 95% of drivers do 95% of their charging at home. With a commute of about twice the average daily drive, being able to charge twice per day makes it work.

You might still want to look around for some free L2s near your route. I don't NEED them either, but I stop in once in a while to keep from going lower % than I have to.

So far I've found 2 free stations on my normal route:
  • 4 Clipper Creeks with reset buttons & LONG cords for easy double-parking of jerks who don't move when done.
  • 8 Voltas, 2 of which are "very old" (said their repairman) with self-reboot instructions but still nearly always worked fine for me probably around 50 times, & 6 new Voltas, 3 of which I've used a total of 5 times without fail so I haven't looked for instructions yet (I was busy online or finding 120v outlets)

There are several Volta stations near here but whadda ya know always occupied by tesla owners despite a 16 station supercharger just a block away :(

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
I believe most Teslas on the road are now Model 3s, many (all?) of which have to pay for Supercharging, which is also a bit more harsh on their smaller-than-Model S or X batteries.

Teslas ARE notorious for not moving when done, so always check the Volta app to see if they show as not in use (it self-updates every couple minutes), in which case if there's space to safely double-park with your hazards on you can unplug them & plug yourself in.

Volts are notorious too, & most even fail to turn off their menu option of alarm sounding with unplug. You're not doing anything wrong though. They are, so just ignore it.

VW & Hyundai/Kia seem less likely to block spots, which is fortunate since they stay locked into the car even when finished. eGolf is supposed to unlock when done, but the one I was driving only did that on L1, or my friend's JuiceBox.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe most Teslas on the road are now Model 3s, many (all?) of which have to pay for Supercharging, which is also a bit more harsh on their smaller-than-Model S or X batteries.

Teslas ARE notorious for not moving when done, so always check the Volta app to see if they show as not in use (it self-updates every couple minutes), in which case if there's space to safely double-park with your hazards on you can unplug them & plug yourself in.

Volts are notorious too, & most even fail to turn off their menu option of alarm sounding with unplug. You're not doing anything wrong though. They are, so just ignore it.

VW & Hyundai/Kia seem less likely to block spots, which is fortunate since they stay locked into the car even when finished. eGolf is supposed to unlock when done, but the one I was driving only did that on L1, or my friend's JuiceBox.

Locked? You mean the handle for the plug is locked to the car like a tesla? Ive always wanted that feature since some EV hating pranksters like to sometimes walk by and unplug people for no reason. I dont think the 500e locks, i been able to unplug mine easy.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,548 Posts
Yes, some cars (including VW & Korean) lock to the charge plug ("handle") but not Fiat. I'm pretty sure Teslas don't, at least not on L2 where they have to use a plug adapter.

Personally I think it should ONLY work until the car is charged (like eGolf is SUPPOSED to, but doesn't) & that it should be an easily-switchable OPTION, depending on your exact circumstances: There's a pre-printed sign to hang on your rearview with something like "Oportunity-Charging. Feel free to unplug me if you need to charge", & I've seen a hand-written note like "If at least 3 dashboard lights are lit solid, go ahead & unplug me".

After I got used to Fiat's unrestricted unplugging, the eGolf is kind of a pain in the butt. You have to make sure all the doors are closed (& it has twice as many!) then lock it, unlock it, & then within a few seconds unplug. Still, if there are jerks that don't like us trying to speed up the flow of their traffic, it seems like a good option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts