Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had something really odd happen this morning. Car was outside overnight. It was 27 degrees outside this morning. Driving about 50MPH down a two-lane road. I was in auto mode, had the heated seats on, defroster on with temp set at 72 degrees, and fan at 70%. About 5 miles away from home there was a sudden drop in power, followed by a shudder with the car. The temp light flashed for about 5 seconds then went off. The temp gauge was sitting in the middle, and when this happened it dropped a notch. So no indication of overheating.

I pulled over and checked under the hood. Coolant still full, oil at right level. I continued on the rest of the commute (15 miles) without issue. The car has 535 miles on it. Just a fluke, or should I take it to the dealer in the morning and have it checked out?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's going to be in the back of your head bothering you. If you're fortunate enough to have a Studio nearby I'd definately pop in for a visit...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You con't fix what's not broke. So bringing it to the dealer now is a waste of time

Unless there may be fault codes stored...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to take it in to service as a precaution. I had something else odd happen last week where the yellow engine light blinked on for about 3-5 seconds about a minute into a cold start idle, but then disappeared. Unfortunately I'll have to wait till Monday when the Fiat techs are back in the dealership.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm going to take it in to service as a precaution. I had something else odd happen last week where the yellow engine light blinked on for about 3-5 seconds about a minute into a cold start idle, but then disappeared. Unfortunately I'll have to wait till Monday when the Fiat techs are back in the dealership.
Some of those symptoms sound like those that can be cured by a 'reflash' of the ecu. I would have thought a new vehicle would already have had that done, but hopefully that will be the easy fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Please let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
55 Posts
silverghost500

I have that same issue with my Pop cabrio. Has been happening for 3 months now. Basically, I will be driving along, usually on the freeway, and the power will cut out. The dash flashes the engine temp thing, says to stop the engine. It only lasts for a couple seconds and then full power is restored.

I worked with my dealer mechanic when this first happened. He actually gave me a big diagnostic box with a thick cable that plugged into the underside of the dash. Pull the cap on that thing to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see the connection port. The box captures the engine sensor info and also what the ECU is doing. I captured the 'bug' a couple times and gave them the box back. The mechanic said there was, at that time, another guy in Michigan that had the same issue.

Originally, I understood there would be an new flash for the ECU to fix this bug in November, but was at the dealer today to get some touch up paint and the mechanic says December for the fix.

So... you are not crazy, but, assuming we have the same bug, the fix is not out yet.

Ciao

P.S. It happens, for me, about once every longer trip, like one over 20 minutes. If you want to confirm, call my studio, Fiat of Brookdale and ask for Justin in the service department.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had a chance to take it by the dealer when they had techs there. Might try again later this week. So far I have not had the drop out again. I have noticed though that the center instrument information cluster will dim and then brighten. Not sure if that's by default, or related to the issue.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My car has done this too several times.

All: I agree with Tweak..

Cant really tell what would be causing that power surge.. during your next maintenance, I would have the studio check it out. If anyone experiences more frequently or it causes a driving hazard, please PM me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.